app for truck routes

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What is the best app to purchase or download for trucking maps? Just starting out and need something good. Thanks
I don’t know about apps but Garmn Trucking GPS or Rand McNally GPS would work.

Agreed. You don't want to be relying on your phone for navigation. You might hit areas where you don't have cell service ... then what? Battery issues ... data issues ... Just go drop a couple of hundred on a Garmin. You'll be better off.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I learned a long time ago that it's better to use the right tool for the job, usually a tool that's designed for the job you need. Use a phone for a phone, a laptop for a computer, and a GPS unit for navigation.

That's not to say that a phone and a laptop can't provide valuable information to a dedicated GPS unit, because they can, especially when the dedicated unit can't find an address and Google Maps can find it by business name. I use as may tools as I can.

If I were in a truck and wanted truck trouting, I'd probably go with a Garmin Dezl.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Any GPS made for trucking would be a big help, how ever none them are completely accurate on truck routes. Not very long ago , I left a shipper heading back to the Interstate , The GPS wanted me to take a right turn i looked to my right, and sign said trucks not allowed.

jimmy

Reactions: Janet and Kevin

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
You should keep a Motor Carriers Road Atlas with you. I refer to mine every day. In the front section, they list by state restricted routes for trucks. Granted, It is more useful for major hwys and state routes, but is a good guide to have around. I use a Garmin Nuvi 50 GPS and google maps on cell phone for turn by turn directions.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
09a06c1c64ade38c96321fece0cb1db0--big-trucks-humor.jpg

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Copilot app on google or Apple. It’s 150. Have not tried truck version but use RV version with good results. Will need a phone with lots of memory as you download all the maps to the phone. Never have to worry about when you’re in no service areas