anyone with us express expedite yet?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well from what I have heard from a friend that drives t/t for the in the regular general freight is their standards for equipment and drivers is TOO high for the amount of expedited freight they currently have.

Wonder how long it will be before crst van expedite starts using o/o for expedited freight though?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just what are the standards that are "too high"????

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Just what are the standards that are "too high"????

Calm down here. They require 2008 or newer equipment and driver approval is as hard as landstar to get in.

That is what I was told by my friend that hauls their general freight but he couldn't get approved for the expedite because his tractor is 2006.

He also stated that there isn't enough expedited freight with them to have a payment on a pretty new truck.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Calm down here. They require 2008 or newer equipment and driver approval is as hard as landstar to get in.

That is what I was told by my friend that hauls their general freight but he couldn't get approved for the expedite because his tractor is 2006.

He also stated that there isn't enough expedited freight with them to have a payment on a pretty new truck.

Geez, that is tuff isn't it. They prolly choose to up front eliminate the folks that wanna "try" this expediting gig I spose. I'm beginning to wonder IF there are ANY wannabe's/newb's these days that aspire above "minimum standards", to the five percenter level??

Don't believe that an o/o for any company would see the freight that dispatch/operations see's on a daily basis. Believe if your friend were in operations, sales, dispatch I would be more inclined to repeat what I was told. I am far from having a dog in this fight, but.....when do you fold em, when do you hold em??

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Geez, that is tuff isn't it. They prolly choose to up front eliminate the folks that wanna "try" this expediting gig I spose. I'm beginning to wonder IF there are ANY wannabe's/newb's these days that aspire above "minimum standards", to the five percenter level??

Don't believe that an o/o for any company would see the freight that dispatch/operations see's on a daily basis. Believe if your friend were in operations, sales, dispatch I would be more inclined to repeat what I was told. I am far from having a dog in this fight, but.....when do you fold em, when do you hold em??

I suppose you are right but it too could be the fact us express worries to much about appearance. Us express just began expediting so do you not have doubts about their customer base. I do!

Let's say swift came up with the expedite idea would you jump right in during their begining stages? I remember when they were trying to get in to flatbed (my dad was in flatbed division) all this talk about how busy they were going to be and now you see hardly any swift skateboards on the road anymore.

I see the same with us express. They only want the newest trucks in the fleet and based on the fact I have yet to see the straight trucks they were recruiting I'd say they probably aren't staying very busy or whether or not they have even started the exp division.

Nothing personal here just another drivers thoughts.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i guess some people could sign with them but i dont know how well any one would do. seems like a revolving door for income. we spoke to them at length out of curiosity and their rate was sub standard. they pay a decent enough rate to keep cash flow but not enough to grow a bank account.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
i guess some people could sign with them but i dont know how well any one would do. seems like a revolving door for income. we spoke to them at length out of curiosity and their rate was sub standard. they pay a decent enough rate to keep cash flow but not enough to grow a bank account.

Exactly what I was saying. If you have a new enough truck to sign on chances are there is a good size payment. There are so many other expedite companies fighting for freight that a company that doesn't specialize in it is having to cut rates to compete and start with a smaller freight base.

I think if they allowed older trucks you may do ok with them assuming your truck is paid for.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If I remember correctly the Col drove an old truck and continually ragged on those that had a "newer" truck.

But I could be wrong.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To me, it seems US Express wants the "cream of the crop" to trust them. "Buy a new truck, don't have points, and you'll make a profit." Doing what? Will you keep my truck full of truckload when no one wants your expedite division? What is it now? 1.15/mi?

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
To me, it seems US Express wants the "cream of the crop" to trust them. "Buy a new truck, don't have points, and you'll make a profit." Doing what? Will you keep my truck full of truckload when no one wants your expedite division? What is it now? 1.15/mi?

As long as their contract contains verbiage paying me 1000 bucks a week minimum I'll buy the 08 or newer truck.

I already have the rest.

Till then.. Sorry.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
our truck is an 05 and they were going to let us sign it on, so that year of truck thing may be something that is not a set in stone rule as long as its not a p.o.s.

JimF51

Seasoned Expediter
Anything new on this thread? Just curious, now that it's been almost a year since 1st post.

As for the Swift flatbed comment, Swift's fb div is still going strong. It was started mainly to service one customed, Freightliner's motor chassis division. It was never planned to be a big fb division. With less than 500 power units in the fb fleet, out of almost 15000 in the primary fleet, you most likely won't see a Swift fb very often. My trainer from a few years ago is still with them, and doing well enough.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I talked to them a few weeks ago when deciding on a new carrier. Not a very impressive recruiting dept. Was told they only had 6 st8s.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Anything new on this thread? Just curious, now that it's been almost a year since 1st post.

As for the Swift flatbed comment, Swift's fb div is still going strong. It was started mainly to service one customed, Freightliner's motor chassis division. It was never planned to be a big fb division. With less than 500 power units in the fb fleet, out of almost 15000 in the primary fleet, you most likely won't see a Swift fb very often. My trainer from a few years ago is still with them, and doing well enough.

I believe trainers with Swift do well . They advertise in every type classified far more than any other carrier so their turnover must be much higher . Like other training carriers they push newbies to become Lease/Operators .