Anyone running Sterling with MBE900?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My father is getting quotes on a new C unit for himself- One chassis the mid-size Sterling with MBE900, the other an International 4300 with DT466E. I am somewhat familiar with the International truck and its engine, but know nothing about the Mercedes 900 other than it is not new in Europe and has been in production since '96.
Is anyone out there running the Sterling/MBE setup? If so, what are your thoughts so far about it? Is the Sterling cab decent or has it just become another FL70? --what he is getting out of and wants something more comfortable and quieter. Thanks!
-Weave-

TimTurtle

Expert Expediter
Weave,
I have no personal experience with the Sterling. However I did talk to a guy the other day that had one. I commented that I liked his truck and he told me never to but one because he is having alot of problems with it. I dont know what motor or anything else about it. But I figured I would pass on that tid-bit.

G

A while back, I spoke to a guy with a FL-60 which also had the MBE900 engine.. He was pleased with the performance and said it was very quiet, but the truck was new so no experience with longevity.

We have a '01 International 4700 (the model previous to the 4300) with the DT466E and in 190,000 miles have only had to replace a fuel pressure regulator and a fan clutch (common problem, I'm told). Other than that, it has been 100% dependable as well as MUCH quieter than a Cat or Cummins. My oil lab guy says the engine is still like new.

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Hey Weave, BEWARE of the new International. My company bought 2 this year (put them in service Feb and Mar '02). We are experiencing major electrical problems, alignment/front end problems, and brake problems with them. (In defense, they have hydrolic brakes, UGH!). Talked to some guys at Penske, the are having the same trouble with their's, except the brakes on their's are air. They are a great riding truck, plenty of power, and are comfortable, but lets hope they work out the problems by the time they ship the '03's. Good Luck.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the responses. I talked with a fellow running a "new" 4300 International the other night who worked as a driver for this Rapid Courier place, and he was not too pleased with how the truck was holding up compared to the 4700's the new ones replaced. The 4300 he was in had only 35k miles on it, and he showed me a bunch of spots where the front fenders were cracking. That's disappointing, as I ran an old 4900 for a local company years back, and I swear that thing would hold up to anything dished out to it.
-Weave-

Krash

Expert Expediter
Hey Weave...
I used to expedite and may or may not do it again soon. I currently work for a salvage auto auction company, driving an Int'l 4 car carrier with the DT466E. Average payload would be 10,000 to 12,000 lbs. I don't pay for the fuel, but am disappointed in the fact that it only gets 6 miles per gallon. I have a 9 speed trans in mine while others have a 7 speed. We all get 6 - 7 mpg. I have asked service depts in two International Dealerships about the poor milage and they said 6-8 is normal. Only suggestion was that raising the C-tain level of the fuel with additives might increase mpg 1 or 2 miles per gallon. Maybe, maybe not.
I drove a Kodiak with a Cat (1624?... forget the model) with an allison automatic and hated that the motor was running so hard to do 65 mph. I got about 9 miles per gallon with that. I would think that the dt466 would do better but, 2 1/2 years later, using about 300 gallons per week, I think not. Otherwise the truck does the job.
Lastly, if I do it again, I will stretch a class 8 truck and try a motor around 300-375 hp. Most used have a bit bigger motor in them, but that is what I would like.

American Flyer

Expert Expediter
Don't know about the Sterling but I just purchsed a 03 4300, 25500 GVW, with a 230hp 466 and I don't think I could ask for a better outfit in a class C.
I put it in service 7/15 and I now have 42k miles with no problems! also it drives very well, on a straight road I can let go of the wheel without going off the road in fact I went 3/10 of a mile like that once.
It has hydrulic brakes and they are just fine. I just brought a 11,000lb load from Norfolk to KC through WV mountains no problem.
Of course it's still new and only time will tell, but so far so good.

AF

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
As for the Sterling I am of the thinking it is the same as my 1997 Ford 9522 its been a great machine all the way so.. IF.. the Sterling is the same thing ( look the same) then I would think it was the better buy and value of the two. I have been considering a New 9522.
The International has been a problem since the model change my Son in Law tells me. The engine and transmition are the same great packege but the chassis has been falling apart since day one when the computer shook loose driveing down one of those golfing comunities roads He services ( AAA tow trucks). Front rotors cracking and other " little" things that have kept them running back to the Dealership. He has five of the older models and has had little of the same from them.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

G

In almost two years and 200,000 miles, our DT466 has been averaging 9 MPG and that's with an Allison 5 speed automatic and many, many hours of idling.