anyone running a 6.6 duramax box truck ?

idtrans

Expert Expediter
What mpg do you get I am looking at a 2007 12' x 8' 3500 chevy duramax with 150k for only $7k so I may pull trigger on it. van is good shape and I think I should get between 16 to 18mpg . I do have a bullydog triple dog tuner I am going to test out on it if I get it and see if it improves MPG if all goes good I will be a happy camper I need the extra 2 feet pulling the loads I get my 10' cube keeps me very busy but I want the extra 2' for a little more comfort plus being a old trucker I like the diesel more than gasoline myself.

Thanks

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think its a decent motor and decent mileage in 4 x 4 pickups but in a 12 ft. cube you'll be over 10.000 gvw in my estimate .

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you already have a cube you probably have a better idea on mileage but I would be shocked if you averaged 16 - 18 in one.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Well if I buy the van we will just have to see. I do plan on adding a wind deflector also and the bully dog and down the road a 4" exhaust and a k&n filter gonna open her up breathing wise as much as I can. with my old 7.3 power stroke cv I was getting 22 easily at 70mph.

I wonder what a normal cv with duramax gets mpg ?

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
My son has an '06 duramax pick up. He uses 'EFI Live' for tuning. His mechanic put a switch he can use to change tunes on the fly...economy, towing, cummins killer...etc. There are a lot of things you can do to improve milage on these motors. Check out Georgia Diesel in Lavonia, Ga., or go on duramax forum and you will get a lot of questions answered there. Good motor, by the way.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It depends on the rear end.

I know of two box trucks that have a 4.11 in them, which gives them the right gearing for their needs. Both are 14 foot trucks, both are hauling about 3000 lbs around and they average 17.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
OK I purchased the van WOW what power it is great and smooth. I averaged around 14.5 driving empty from kc, mo to peoria, il now i change air filter. fuel filter, oil, and tie rod end , cut hole to access the box from the cabin and ready to get back to work around Wednesday. I still have to get back to kc to drive my other van back LOL. But the box is nice very strong well built box very tall like 7'5" maybe even 8' I still havent measured the box but I am sure I can fit easliy 4 pallets that are 40"x48" easily in there. and or 2 rolls of carpet easy. plus have my stuff in the van. the weight of van is 7k with my stuff in it not to bad. I am going to see i my bullly dog programmer works with the van and try it out maybe I can get a extra 3 mpg with it "10 would be great like it got my powerstroke 7.3 but I am happy with 3 LOL

I will have about $7,850 in the van total with all maintenance and tax and registrations so I think I got a fantastic deal being that a standard 3500 cargo van diesel is a $9000 trade in value in rough condition and this van is far from rough.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
BUT what is the curb weight of the van with a full fuel tank?

Thats with the tank full and my junk and me and my 7 pound dog and his 5 pound bag of food.

Plus who cares most the freight I get anyways is not heavy it is always bulky and either won't fit a cargo van and or to wide for sprinter.

last week some joker tried tricking us saying the skid was 2,700 but the skid floored my cube. It had to weigh like 5k because I loaded 2,650 that evening and it lowered my cube only 2" .

The new cube bas duals and heavy duty rear suspension I should be able to get into the 4k area with this one.

And if I have to log a run so be it no other choice no big deal. I did it in my tractor for over 1 million miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But to us hearing all about this great van, it makes us wonder. If the van is a 10k plus GVW thing, it doesn't matter but if it is under 10k GVW, it is more of a curiosity than anything else.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
But to us hearing all about this great van, it makes us wonder. If the van is a 10k plus GVW thing, it doesn't matter but if it is under 10k GVW, it is more of a curiosity than anything else.

What do you drive Greg ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dakota, you're a smarta** - in a good way. Today I'm driving a new keyboard thanks to Turtle.

IDtrans, I drive a truck but have a van in the shadows waiting for me to decide what the spring brings - new house or the van.

The question is more to do with what the thing weighs for a record I keep on different cutaways I hear about, that's all.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Greg so if you drive a straight truck lets say how often do they load a 15' x 8' high x 30" wide that weighs in around 2000 lbs ? it does happen and the freight is out there allot like that.

Heck other day I missed a load because it was 69" tall and my old cube is 64" tall the freight only weighed in at 700 pounds.

I almost never get heavy pallets either. so I will say this 99.9% of time I am under 10k gvw and since il lets you set your gvw I am legal.

Now the trucker side of my blood line says If I am stuck in laredo and a 4k load shows up and gets me out to amarillo or somewhere where there are not many scales ever open I am gonna grab it and go since I have little to no worries. now if that load is going to michigan or further out of texas yes I would worry about it and not run it.

ok besides that happy new years everyone. I am going to the gym to get a 1 hour work out in now to start the new year working out. Gotta keep burning this fat down and building my muscles up .
Dakota, you're a smarta** - in a good way. Today I'm driving a new keyboard thanks to Turtle.

IDtrans, I drive a truck but have a van in the shadows waiting for me to decide what the spring brings - new house or the van.

The question is more to do with what the thing weighs for a record I keep on different cutaways I hear about, that's all.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand the need to capture as much as you can when you can but here is the thing, not knowing your limitations with the tool (the van) is rather dumb in the business sense. You don't know how much you can load on the thing and stay legal and more importantly safe is not a good thing.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
What mpg do you get I am looking at a 2007 12' x 8' 3500 chevy duramax with 150k for only $7k so I may pull trigger on it. van is good shape and I think I should get between 16 to 18mpg . I do have a bullydog triple dog tuner I am going to test out on it if I get it and see if it improves MPG if all goes good I will be a happy camper I need the extra 2 feet pulling the loads I get my 10' cube keeps me very busy but I want the extra 2' for a little more comfort plus being a old trucker I like the diesel more than gasoline myself.

Thanks

I think I found your "twin". And you did get a heck of a deal. I was amazed that it actually was the 10K GVWR.....but alas it was.
Here's the link.
2007 Chevrolet G30 Cutaway Cargo Cube Box Van diesel - eBay (item 220714994599 end time Jan-03-11 08:45:31 PST)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OK I purchased the van WOW what power it is great and smooth. I averaged around 14.5 driving empty from kc, mo to peoria, il now i change air filter. fuel filter, oil, and tie rod end , cut hole to access the box from the cabin and ready to get back to work around Wednesday. I still have to get back to kc to drive my other van back LOL. But the box is nice very strong well built box very tall like 7'5" maybe even 8' I still havent measured the box but I am sure I can fit easliy 4 pallets that are 40"x48" easily in there. and or 2 rolls of carpet easy. plus have my stuff in the van. the weight of van is 7k with my stuff in it not to bad. I am going to see i my bullly dog programmer works with the van and try it out maybe I can get a extra 3 mpg with it "10 would be great like it got my powerstroke 7.3 but I am happy with 3 LOL

I will have about $7,850 in the van total with all maintenance and tax and registrations so I think I got a fantastic deal being that a standard 3500 cargo van diesel is a $9000 trade in value in rough condition and this van is far from rough.

You probably have a 4.10 axle ratio. If that's the case tuned to it's peak and a bully Dog you might get 16 if you drive about 60mph.