Anyone Else?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Anyone else not getting a load ? Never have had to sit for this long sense I started. Been sitting moving up and down the boards for a week and a half not getting a load. Got a 60 mile load offer a few days ago. Luckly I live outside of Atlanta and can be home.

But anyone else out there in a cargo van NOT getting a load ?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Regardless what they tell you Panther does a lot of dispatching by who is closest to the load. That is actually very common with companies that say first in first out. Maybe where your home is located is keeping you out of the loop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When you're in an area that suddenly gets quiet, or gets quieter, as Atlanta apparently has, getting a load offer for a 60 mile run is like manna from Heaven, because it gets you a First Out. But still, even with a First Out, if you're in the wrong place at the right time, you won't get the load.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Regardless what they tell you Panther does a lot of dispatching by who is closest to the load. That is actually very common with companies that say first in first out. Maybe where your home is located is keeping you out of the loop.
I have gotten many loads out from my home. Im maybe 40 miles away from Atlanta.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Been sitting moving up and down the boards for a week and a half not getting a load.

What caused you to move down the board? Are there that many First Outs pushing you down?

What is your acceptance rate? If you get to 67% you will continue to drop every time another truck comes in. Your troubles seem to coincide with the first of the new month. If you refused several loads in June, your May numbers probably kept you well above 67%. When July 1 rolled around your May figures dropped out of the count which could have put you at 67% or less.

Got a 60 mile load offer a few days ago.

Did you accept the 60 mile load?

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Even with being at the house why would anyone sit for a week and a half??? Unless you got enough money in the bank and this is a past time for you i would be asking where my truck was needed and head over there.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
My acceptance is really low cause one friday they kept sending me bad runs heading to bad freight areas and short runs delivering for monday until they sent me a decent one. Didnt wanna sit all weekend in a bad freight area or not with a good run. Been there done that one to many times and nothing worse than being broke sitting all weekend . But there has been a good amount of first outs. Atleast 2-4 a day.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you Acceptance Rate falls below 67%, then you need to go to where there are no other trucks, or certainly where there are more loads than trucks, and where there are few other trucks coming in to bump you down. If you are below 67%, they will dispatch you only as a last resort. They will actively look for other trucks to dispatch loads to, rather than give you a call.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My acceptance is really low cause one friday they kept sending me bad runs heading to bad freight areas and short runs delivering for monday until they sent me a decent one. Didnt wanna sit all weekend in a bad freight area or not with a good run. Been there done that one to many times and nothing worse than being broke sitting all weekend . But there has been a good amount of first outs. Atleast 2-4 a day.

Think you answered your own question.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
If you Acceptance Rate falls below 67%, then you need to go to where there are no other trucks, or certainly where there are more loads than trucks, and where there are few other trucks coming in to bump you down. If you are below 67%, they will dispatch you only as a last resort. They will actively look for other trucks to dispatch loads to, rather than give you a call.

Well im out of luck for a little while now. Just about every surrounding board is almost full. I had no idea they would push you to the bottom of the line when it would get below 67. No one ever told me. Oh well lesson learned just wish I would of known before hand.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Well im out of luck for a little while now. Just about every surrounding board is almost full. I had no idea they would push you to the bottom of the line when it would get below 67. No one ever told me. Oh well lesson learned just wish I would of known before hand.

Three things a few weeks ago i sat in at an orientation while i was in Seville and they not only told people they had a slide telling them about the 67% so i don't know how long you have been with Panther but you should have heard it then.Thats 1. If not it was posted here in EO and was a real hot topic so the info was out there for you. Thats 2. Also as a member of the drivers council i also posted it in the drivers council section of the drivers web. Thats 3 places where you could have gotten the info. If you are late in coming to EO then you should have been reading the Drivers Council section of the drivers web

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Three things a few weeks ago i sat in at an orientation while i was in Seville and they not only told people they had a slide telling them about the 67% so i don't know how long you have been with Panther but you should have heard it then.Thats 1. If not it was posted here in EO and was a real hot topic so the info was out there for you. Thats 2. Also as a member of the drivers council i also posted it in the drivers council section of the drivers web. Thats 3 places where you could have gotten the info. If you are late in coming to EO then you should have been reading the Drivers Council section of the drivers web

1. Never heard it at orientation might of been out of the room or I didnt hear it. Been with them sense 8-09

2. I never saw it here eather. Never searched for it eather had no idea they had the 67% law .

3. I do look at the council meetings on occasion but not gonna lie only read maybe one or two and got bored months ago and havent read another. Guess its coming back to bite me on the butt haha

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I remember them going over it in orientation. What you need to do is accept about anything they offer you fro a while. I would not even go by the 67% mark some of those dispatchers will start skipping you at a higher percentage than that. I can tell you from my days in dispatch right or wrong you want your day to be easy. If you have someone who is going to refuse a bunch of loads or someone who is going to complain every time you offer them something why bother. It becomes very easy to just say I do not feel like wasting my time and dealing with them today Bob is close and he will do it I am just going to offer it to him. Dispatchers are like anyone else they want their day to be as easy as possible while still doing what needs to be done.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One example of how they actively look for other trucks with which to dispatch around someone with low acceptance is, I once had a load delivering to Laredo on a Saturday morning, 9AM. Around noon on Friday they called me with a load that was picking up in Brownsville later Saturday afternoon, going to somewhere in Wisconsin, delivering on Tuesday, plenty of time, and it paid a really good FSC. Sure, I'll do that.

I get to Laredo at 6AM and head on over to the J to fuel up and grab a shower before the consignee opens up at 9AM. In a rare occurrence, there were very few cargo vans in Laredo, only two Panther vans. I talked with both drivers before I headed to the delivery, and found out that one had been sitting there for 4 days, the other for 5 days. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was already dispatched on a load out of Brownsville. But later I called dispatch and asked out of curiosity why neither of them got the load (or why they both turned it down). It was then that I was told (and it's been confirmed several times) that when a truck is below 67%, dispatch is to make every effort to not put loads on those trucks, to make every effort to actively dispatch around them, and if another truck is en route and can take the load, that's where the load will be offered.

It sux, but them's the rules, and you have to know them and work them to your advantage. The way the Acceptance Rate is calculated is by using all of the days in the current month, plus all of the previous calendar month. That means that on the first day of a month, you're dealing with the one day in the current month, plus the entire previous calendar month. You may have turned down a bunch of loads last month, but still had an 80% acceptance, but that also included the entire month before that. Then, the first of the month comes along and the month-before-last drops off the table, and now you're got a 60% acceptance, and you're instantly screwed, even though the day before you were lookin' good.

Earlier in the year I took 3 weeks off and came back in service the final week of a month. In that week I was offered 4 loads and turned one down. I was still showing well above 90% because the previous month I was at 100%. But then the first of the month showed up, and that prior month of 100% dropped off the back end, so now I was dealing with the current month of one day, and the previous calendar month, which was 4 loads, 3 accepted, 75% acceptance. I knew that the next load I got, if I turned it down, I'd drop to 60% acceptance, and there's a lot of month left to be sitting at 60%, so I knew that whatever it was, no matter how crappy, I was gonna take it, because even of I lost money on the load, that was a drop in the bucket to what I'd lose if I were sitting at 60% for an entire month.

Turns out the next load was unbelievably crappy. 80-something deadhead for 39 loaded, pick up Friday night and didn't deliver until Monday. Holy crap. But I was in a position where I had to take it, or suffer the slings and arrows. I called into dispatch and explained the situation about being off for 3 weeks the previous month, and they could see my history before that, and ended up taking me off the load without a refusal, and the next load I got was a good one.

Speaking of refusals, pay close attention online to see if you wrongly get hit with a refusal. Anything that's more than 40% deadhead of the line haul (deadhead miles divided by line haul miles), picks up more than 8 hours in advance (weekends included), a second mini in a row, not enough hours left to complete the run, you should not be hit with a refusal for these loads. You have to look online, or call Driver Relations and ask, to see if dispatch put "driver refused load" in the status notes. They do it all the time, and those refusals add up and will count against you.

Also, a nifty little tid bit of information, if they offer you a load with more than 40% deadhead, and you turn it down for that reason, and they come back and say, "What if we pay full deadhead?", and you still turn it down, there's a little button on the screen they click on for when a driver refuses full deadhead pay, and it counts as a refusal, even though that's in conflict with the actual Panther-published rules of the refusal deal.

It's an easy fix. Just call Driver Relations, tell them the PRO # and that you got hit for a refusal for more than 40% deadhead, they'll do the math and remove the refusal.

The thinking behind that little ditty is, if they offer to pay full deadhead, then the percentage of deadhead doesn't matter, since you're being paid for it. It wouldn't matter if they paid full loaded miles pay for the deadhead, but just getting full deadhead pay doesn't make it profitable. If you're deadheading 95 miles for 200 loaded (48% DH), and the FSC on the loaded miles is low-ish, then you're gonna take a bath on that load, and depending on your MPG and CPM, you might even lose money. If the FSC is enough to make up the difference between the deadhead pay and your Cost Per Mile for all miles, then you're good to go, otherwise not so much.

If you go to the Driver Web and them page down the "News You Can Use" to the 4th page, 04/13/2009, you will see "New Refusals and Non Refusals", which states the policy.

Driver Refusals - will affect accept%

-Driver verbally, electronically, refuses the shipment
-Load picks up within 8 hours
-No Response from driver within 10 minutes of load offer picking up within 8 hours
-Drivers actions (breakdown, violations of hours-driver fault) prevents on-time p/u-delivery

Non-Refusals - will not affect accept%

-Load offer is more than 8 hours in advance (also applies to weekends)
-Driver does not have hours to complete run
-Reduced Rate Offer-less than contracted rate offered
-DH is over 40% of the loaded miles
-2nd Mini offer in a row
-Driver on Hometyme and load does not go to or towards home state

If you have any questions on any of these items please contact a Driver Relations representative.

Thanks for all you do and be Safe.
"Dispatchers are like anyone else they want their day to be as easy as possible while still doing what needs to be done."

And they will abuse the pее out of a 100% Acceptance, too. :D

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter

we had that problem to_Our acceptance went below 67% and ended up sitting for 4 days. when I figured out what was happening I went in and looked at my availability and over half were wrong! over 8 hrs was put as a refusal too much dead head, one we took but they still put it as a refusal. You might want to check. If all else fails switch lead drivers.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I am an all miles truck and i turn down loads with over 40% dh and it isn't held against me.

termite289

Expert Expediter
im having problems with them as well.
have been sitting on a 6 per day board for two days, 2 solo truck, and 3 team trucks showed up after me, and then disappeared. i called in to ask how i got on the ****list, relations told me there was no such thing. am now deadheading somewhere else, cause being number 1 for 2 days didn't seem to work. maybe ill try number 5