ANY LARGE STRAIGHT with no J breaks?

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
HI I am about to purchase another LG truck but this one doesn't have Engine Break I never drove one with NO J's
any of u guys have trucks that don't have em?
how is it? scary?? or is it OK?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Mine does not have it. I can't call it scary, but I wish it had one. It has been OK so far, managed not to overheat the brakes yet, but I take it very very slowly when I am heavy and go downhill.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
you guys think its worth spending the $$$ to put one in it?
I mean I am not sure how it would handle without it
when I drive my 53" dry vans sometimes I can't imagine not having one going down him with the weight pushing me down.
I am not sure how it is with the LG's
if I have to drive any of them and its downhill I usually switch the J's and its nice and easy down..
but no idea how it is without one.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
huh so I guess its not only this one lol , I will go ahead and buy it then. that was the only thing holding me back I was thinking to my self WTH they made this truck with J's

Kevin Anderson

New Recruit
Industry Supplier
Make sure you look over that truck VERY good...I find it hard to believe anyone would build a 33k GVW truck these days without an exhaust brake. Its not a very expensive option. If they cut that corner, what other corners did they cut? Might be worth the extra time to get a truck that's spec'd the right way. Doesn't matter if you can drive or not, its a feature that every truck should have these days. Make sure its got a 33k GVW rated transmission, synthetic rear end fluid, etc...lots of ways to save a buck on building a truck (at your ultimate expense)

Reactions: ajakapari

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
If you can't drive a fully loaded truck at 80,000 lbs much less a smaller truck without a Jake, you were never trained properly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app
its not about if u can drive without it ,its just another tool for safety of the driver to help stop the truck I will be putting a driver behind the wheel I want him to have a peace of mind .
I can drive just fine without it , I live in SLC so i have dropped down Parleys Canyon (if u know where that is) million times with 80k behind me . but trust me when its 80 I rather have a J going down then NOT.. so please trucks are not like cargo vans akkshole!

Reactions: BIGTRAIN

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Make sure you look over that truck VERY good...I find it hard to believe anyone would build a 33k GVW truck these days without an exhaust brake. Its not a very expensive option. If they cut that corner, what other corners did they cut? Might be worth the extra time to get a truck that's spec'd the right way. Doesn't matter if you can drive or not, its a feature that every truck should have these days. Make sure its got a 33k GVW rated transmission, synthetic rear end fluid, etc...lots of ways to save a buck on building a truck (at your ultimate expense)
I had 4 33,000 lb straight trucks about 15 yrs or so ago and they did not have jake brakes on them. As was stated in an earlier post about proper training is what I would have to seriously agree with.

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Most ST drivers don't even hold Class A. I rather have J's on it once I buy it I will be taking it to the shop to have them install one its only about 2-3k . I will feel a lot better to let someone drive it .

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
its not about if u can drive without it ,its just another tool for safety of the driver to help stop the truck I will be putting a driver behind the wheel I want him to have a peace of mind .
I can drive just fine without it , I live in SLC so i have dropped down Parleys Canyon (if u know where that is) million times with 80k behind me . but trust me when its 80 I rather have a J going down then NOT.. so please trucks are not like cargo vans akkshole!
I may be in a Promaster now, but I started driving Tractor Trailers in 1995, and as a Driver Trainer/Owner Op have trained a good share of drivers...i have well over a million miles accident free while hauling flatbed, van, reefer, dump trailer, I've also driven regular dump trucks and car haulers...
Yes I am aware that driving a truck with a Jake (ie Jacob's brand Engine Brake, not J's) or an engine retarder is much preferable, "it's not scary or unsafe".
The tone of your post led me to believe you haven't ever done so as you asked if it was scary. Do you also drive an automatic or is shifting scary too?
Yes I have driven a 9, 10, 10 with top 2, 13, 15, 18....also driven a 2 stick...(just in case there would be doubts about my experience with those)

And I have a college education. Doesn't make me better than anyone. Just doesn't mean i look down on someone without knowing their background or experience.people drive what they drive for their own reasons.

Edit...Just re read your OP, You stated you had never driven one without J's.

Last edited:

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
I don't look down on anyone you are the one that said if u can't drive a 80k truck with no engine break u were not trained properly .
Who said I can't . I have never owned one that did not have it.
Don't mean I can't .
U may have more Experience then me because u are older . Doesn't mean you are better..
I don't care if u drove trucks without steering wheel back in your time ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
HI I am about to purchase another LG truck but this one doesn't have Engine Break I never drove one with NO J's
any of u guys have trucks that don't have em?
how is it? scary?? or is it OK?
Read your post...

"I never drove one with NO J's"

Your words...didnt want to argue either, observed if you hadn't driven without Jake's and wondering if it was scary, I felt you may not have been trained properly.

Having trained drivers, they weren't allowed to use them while learning during training so they could handle a truck if it wasn't an option. They would feel confident driving without them as they had trained that way. Almost any decent training program does that...they also don't use cruise or Jake's in rain or snow either, and that is a suggestion even with experience.

With the nature of many of the CDL mills that give a license for money without proper training, my feeling was that you had not been trained properly based on YOUR STATEMENTS...not a judgement of you personally.

Have a great day, but also don't assume those of us in smaller vehicles are ignorant or incompetent or have never driven anything else.

Reactions: Treadmill

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can't drive a fully loaded truck at 80,000 lbs much less a smaller truck without a Jake, you were never trained properly.

7cd055349a2382034d7fc79fb7fca0cf.png

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Read your post...

"I never drove one with NO J's"

Your words...didnt want to argue either, observed if you hadn't driven without Jake's and wondering if it was scary, I felt you may not have been trained properly.

Having trained drivers, they weren't allowed to use them while learning during training so they could handle a truck if it wasn't an option. They would feel confident driving without them as they had trained that way. Almost any decent training program does that...they also don't use cruise or Jake's in rain or snow either, and that is a suggestion even with experience.

With the nature of many of the CDL mills that give a license for money without proper training, my feeling was that you had not been trained properly based on YOUR STATEMENTS...not a judgement of you personally.

Have a great day, but also don't assume those of us in smaller vehicles are ignorant or incompetent or have never driven anything else.

Ya I said I never drove a truck that didn't have J"s ! The truck!
I didn't say I don't know how to go down a hill without them! But if it has Em I'll use em..
I don't care how
Much XP u have sh*t can happen to anyone I am not trying to prove how good I am.
I am trying to make it to from point A to B alive .
I doubt you trained ppl at a 6-7% long downgrade with 80k in the back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk