any box truck o/o running under there own operating authority? Anyone running under their own dot numbers

achapman37

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
any box truck owner operators running under there own operating authority? curious hows the super weak LTL market treating you everything i see is 50 cents to 80 cents to ship a pallet or twos so cheap, , all the box trucks i see are leased to carriers haven't yet to see anyone 100% independent running there own carrier dot number exc...,

ive thought about doing a customized rig, like a cabover style cab with sleeper, stretch to 45 foot chassis, and literally add a set of trailer tandems, the total rig will consist of 16- 18 tires... 5 or 6 axles gvrw of idk maybe 70,000lbs able to load perhaps 30,000lbs and 38foot long box. i see 5, 6 axle dump trucks with 70k-80k gvrw pass me on the hwy all day long so it kinda got me thinking, thats my thinking lol i believe 45foot is the longest legally for a straight truck, perhaps could run better paying fright aka the ability to haul heavier freight and more real estate in the box and prolly average 10-12mpg on a rig like so...

anyone out there running it independently and making it work and actually making money comment below, interested to hear you experience,

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What you describe is: straight truck. They come already done. You want 40' length to be legal in all states. 12mpg would be a lightly loaded 5 ton limping along somewhere under the speed limit.

It's worth being an employee in one to figure things out. Unless you have 6 months expenses and a $20,000 breakdown fund, I wouldn't try learning as you go...

Being leased to a carrier will keep you loaded. Doing independent will have you working a "second job" dealing with loads, brokers, and getting paid.

Don't forget CDL over 26,000 lb n air brakes, permits, and fuel taxes (IFTA) for your independent business.

Take everything I said with a grain of salt and dyor, I'm a 13 year expedite van driver looking to move to one. I do talk to straight truck o/o on a regular basis.

Can't help you with the super weak ltl market, I've been 99.9% Canada all year

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Most expedited loads are light loads. So unless you have a customer that needs what you describe it would be a waste.