Another One Bites the Dust - 41 J's changing over

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
http://www.pilotflyingj.com/Documents/list of stores_loyalty.pdf

Here is a list of Flying J's that have changed over to the Pilot Card and those who will be changing.

Yes, I know "they" say a combined program is forth coming.

Probably the same folks who said, "No more new taxes." LOL.

Basically, I see nothing for gasoline purchases unless you can purchase a minimum of 50 gallons to receive points towards a free drink. Gee, thank you Pilot! Buy $150.00 worth of fuel and get a 16oz soda that costs 14 cents. So that cuts out vans and Sprinters.

And yes, if you have a concern regarding the change, please don't sit on your backside and grip; write, fax or email Pilot. I believe we still live in a country that allows us the privilege to voice our concerns without fear of reprisals.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
PS. I love quotes like this one from a little over one month ago:

Where do people come up with this stuff? It seems like very couple months someone posts that j showers will go away for vanners. It has proved false up to this point and until it actually happens I will still consider it nothing but a rumor.

Are 41 J's enough proof?

For now, some of the J's will still have the 1/2 credit shower program, but I have no confidence in the management at Pilot Corporate so I believe they may eventually scrap the program.

Ran from Modesto to Phoenix. Stopped at Bakersfield to fuel and the pump would not recognize my Frequent Fueler Card. Went in and held up my card to the manager behind the counter; she shook her head no. Her body language indicated that she was not thrilled with the change over either. Probably getting a lot of flack from disgruntled customers. And another bites the dust.

Called the J in Lebec and asked if they still took the card. Yes! I drove on to that location.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I haven't yet run into a Flying J that won't accept the Frequent Fueler card. Of course, I'm getting all my fuel at the TA these days. But I will run by the J in Indy overnight tonight, and when I get there I will already be full of TA fuel, but I'll stop in to the J, anyway, just so I can walk out without buying anything when they tell me the card's no good. :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Gotta keep up! EO is THE place to be. It's better than TV. Whoo-wee. It's a regular truckin' jubilee.

I'm done.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
No need for sarcasm.

And that is why many of us have moved to Facebook when communicating information to try to be a help to one another.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And that's probably why you should go back to Facebook, where who posts something on your wall is more important than what they post, because there wasn't even the slightest hint of sarcasm in my post. It was a blatant humorous rah-rah advertisement for Lawrence, inspired by his "www.eo4me.com" URL.

Next time, rather than post information for you to help you out in the three links like I did above, I'll just send to you Facebook, where they are all over this thing.
<snort> <--- note the sarcasm.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
I'm just curious here..when you go to lets say wal-mart, or mejers or whatever superstore you want to fill in the blank with..and you spend hundreds a week..what do you get for free?...what do you get 1/2 credit for? what do you get to build points for?..all the same answer..absolutly nothing..so why complain because you dont get a free shower, or you only get a free cup of coffee that cost them .14 cents..just remember..they dont have to give you anything..they are running a business just like the rest of us are...just buy the dang shower when you need one..pretty simple to me..and if the cost of a shower are going to break you..maybe you either need to get a job at home where you can use your own, or redo your business plan to figure in the cost for lets say at least 4 showers a week that you have to pay for.

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
I guess the whole question comes down to is:
Who started to offer shower credits and discounts etc to help attract drivers to "their" truckstop to spend "their" dollars in the first place?
When there are a couple of truckstops "close" to each other, why do you go to this one and not that one?

I bet Free stuff helps drivers to make up their mind...

Why do you shop in Walmart anyway? Is it because they offer great customer service and the greeter at the front door personally walks you to the item you are looking to purchase??:eek:
Are you (like me) there to save money?;) Yes, as a Canadian living just outside of Toronto, ON I have lots of choices where to spend my money, I could go to Canadian Tire and buy almost the same item and they even give discount coupons if you pay cash(that would be Canadian Tire money a great subject for another time BTW) but I bet its cheaper at Walmart...hence my choice (I was there today actually):cool:

Just my two cents worth but "If it's FREE, it's for me...":D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I haven't yet run into a Flying J that won't accept the Frequent Fueler card.
Same here ... as of tonight I have 10 half showers on my FF card, and that doesn't include the 6 or 8 that I've used since I came back out on the 30th .....

Thinking about having to use all of them before they actually expire just makes my skin tingle ....

.... I suppose I could skip the lufah tho' .... ;)

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm just curious here..when you go to lets say wal-mart, or mejers or whatever superstore you want to fill in the blank with..and you spend hundreds a week..what do you get for free?...what do you get 1/2 credit for? what do you get to build points for?..all the same answer..absolutly nothing..so why complain because you dont get a free shower, or you only get a free cup of coffee that cost them .14 cents..just remember..they dont have to give you anything..they are running a business just like the rest of us are...just buy the dang shower when you need one..pretty simple to me..and if the cost of a shower are going to break you..maybe you either need to get a job at home where you can use your own, or redo your business plan to figure in the cost for lets say at least 4 showers a week that you have to pay for.

I just picked up 10 cases of extra large adult wet wipes for those hard to reach areas( u know those places) so Im good to go for now, lol:rolleyes: add a couple of cologne sprays for other hard to reach areas and all is well, amen? Now where can I find maid service for the van, looking for the floor as we speak, its under all those wet wipes:D

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I stopped at the J in Beaverdam, card no good there. I'm going to eat my coupons at the J restaurants just to make sure I don't lose them.

I dropped my YMCA membership to save money about 18 months ago. I'm going to look at picking it up again. I'm going to look at those 24 hr. health clubs too.

If I wanted to go in line two times, I'd use a com data card! Haven't used one in five years.

I need the exercise and the showers come with it.

Dave

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
Does a membership to the YMCA allow you to enter any of them? They definitely seem to be the most widespread gym/shower solution. Unfortunately, they're almost twice as expensive as most, but do have saunas and even steam rooms at some places it seems.

The next best from the map I have found is "Anytime Fitness," loactions here: MapMuse - Locate the closest Anytime Fitness Center nationwide, search for nearby Anytime Fitness Center, find Anytime Fitness Center in your area

They would rarely offer pools/saunas, but would be a shower solution.

I was wondering if any van drivers have found a good shower solution?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It depends on the type of membership you have...my "family membership" that my wife and kids have does not, but the "MAX" membership I have does....and it cost more...

Now that being said, alot, not all but alot of "Y's" will let you use their "facilities" once as a guest if you have any type of "Y" membership....and they do track it with you needing to "swipe" your card....

Phoenix4774

Seasoned Expediter
I haven't found a site for a nationwide YMCA membership sign up, perhaps you could post a link. For instance, here is reference to a YMCA Max membership, but it says it only covers 10 facilities:

YMCA and JCC of Greater Toledo

I'll try to call them tomorrow and find out.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I bought mine at the Tremainsville "Y" in Toledo 3 yrs ago because they told me i could use it nationwide. I have not had an issue at all. Now I will say that "Y's" in other cities don't all use the MAX name..

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I have never been denied use of a YMCA in 8 years that I had my membership. A couple places charged a small fee, $2 or so. Most don't swipe your card because it isn't a national system so nothing would show up on their screen. A couple places called my local Y to verify my membership.

The health clubs are cheaper but a lot of them go out of business every year. Don't prepay a lifetime membership because their lifetime will probably be shorter than yours, hopefully. I had a membership about 20 years ago and one day I was unable to use a out of town facility because they failed to pay to keep their membership in the national health club organization. Next time I was at the health club they tried to sell me a lifetime membership for just $99. I dropped my membership and went with the YMCA. A few months later the health club closed.

Dave