It's a Team's Life Am I the problem?

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
When the sign says, right lane closed ahead I move over to the left pretty quickly. Have I been doing this wrong all of my driving life?

Minnesota has this figured out with the zipper merge. What is a zipper merge? This is when everyone stays in their own lane until the point of going into the construction area and then take turns merging. This process keeps both lanes moving and has proven to be smoother and faster to get through construction areas then the one lane approach.

READ MORE...

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe it was Michigan University that did a study on this and showed that the zipper move worked best with out creating the mile long back ups. At first I didn't believe it. But after actually seeing it in place in a few states, I have to say it does a much better job at keeping the traffic flowing. Now getting everyone to do the same thing will be another issue :rolleyes:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Zipper Merge works but many are still reluctant to do it fearing another vehicle might get ahead of them. In Minnesota they have signs and message boards well before the construction area explaining the Zipper Merge yet there always seems to be some :censoredsign: in a truck blocking a lane until just before that lane ends.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Zipper Merge works but many are still reluctant to do it fearing another vehicle might get ahead of them. In Minnesota they have signs and message boards well before the construction area explaining the Zipper Merge yet there always seems to be some :censoredsign: in a truck blocking a lane until just before that lane ends.
Wanna be crossing gaurds.

Reactions: Moot and scottm4211

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

We used to call them Billy-Big-Riggers! :wtf: