Aluminum vs Steel replacement liftgate??

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well it looks like the salt is getting the best of the liftgate so, if its decided that a rebuild is not an option and its time for a replacement is there a real difference in weight between a steel and an aluminum liftgate.

Bob Wolf. Box is apx 10 yrs old so life expectancy is a factor.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Yes there is a difference in weight check the maxon website for all the specs other brands too $ on the aluminums. Mine is rusting and rotting all over life expectancy is 7 to 8 I needed a new forward deck I did a quick fix by welding a new sheet on top of the old will figure out in spring what to do used decks are rare and hard to find

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
I'm also thinking of swapping out my liftgate with a steel bumper.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Mine got so bad that I removed it from being listed as a lift gate equipped D unit...part of me wants to rebuild the fold out section for a little bit longer use and the rest of me wants to remove the boat anchor and have a new ICC bumper fabricated, I only need the truck for a 1-2 years if that.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got the same delema I dont use the lift gate as much as i did when i first started but at the same time liftgate work comes at me in runs.

Bob Wolf.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Its just dead weight to me since I have no desire to use it. It just came on the truck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Well I need my gate I have another business that requires it ,gets used all spring and summer for sound lights and staging work driving expedite covers my expensive habits!

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
We have some 12 year old LGs that are still going strong, get used every day.

First thing to do is drill a couple holes so that when water gets on the folded up gate it doesn't pool up in the framing on the underside of the deck. If it drains off the rust damage to the deck is minimized.

2nd, when rust does form, or paint goes missing, use POR15 (we do this every 2-3 years) and then apply a topcoat of a protective enamel when the POR15 is still tacky. this lasts a long time in the spots you do it. the paint only sticks to rust so we only do it where the factory paint is already off and rusting.

3rd. every couple weeks we lube all the points with white lithium grease, and then when we wash the truck, use a powerwasher to clear all the old grease/dirt/mess out of the joints, then relube. if you keep them well lubed, those pivots and pins last a LONG time.

All of ours are steel though I do covet those nice large-deck aluminum ones, it's about $10K to have one added I think.