Alternator Problems? May Not be the Alternator

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last month I had a belt tensioner break. It broke on the pulley arm. Had all new pulleys and belt, tensioner replaced. Last week I had my battery light flash at me. I took the new belt off and found chunks out of the ribs. Placed a small screw driver in the fan of the alternator to test the pulley movement. A working pulley should turn freely in one direction and not in the other. Mine was locked in both directions. Had a spare alternator and tried the same test. It would spin free in one direction, and lock up in the other. The pulley has a clutch and should free spin when you let up on the accelerator, and engage when accelerating.

So I set out to change the pulley.....so I thought. I have a 2005 Sprinter and nothing is easy.

It takes about 30 sec to take off the pulley from the alternator, if you can get to it with the tools. I could not. So instead of removing the alternator I went the short cut way. Yes, this was easier than removing the alternator.

I gained clearance by swinging the A/C, Turbo cooler and Radiator out of the way on the passenger side. Once that was done it took less than 30 sec to change out the pulley. Cost of repair: zero dollars @ about 3 hours work though.

Here is a short video of the correct pulley for the alternator.

Alternator pulley comparsion.wmv - YouTube

And this one

GATES: Alternator Decoupler Pulley - Features and Benefits - YouTube

Attachments

• Step 1.jpg
    Step 1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Step 2.jpg
    Step 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Step 3.jpg
    Step 3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 27

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Last month I had a belt tensioner break. It broke on the pulley arm. Had all new pulleys and belt, tensioner replaced. Last week I had my battery light flash at me. I took the new belt off and found chunks out of the ribs. Placed a small screw driver in the fan of the alternator to test the pulley movement. A working pulley should turn freely in one direction and not in the other. Mine was locked in both directions. Had a spare alternator and tried the same test. It would spin free in one direction, and lock up in the other. The pulley has a clutch and should free spin when you let up on the accelerator, and engage when accelerating.

So I set out to change the pulley.....so I thought. I have a 2005 Sprinter and nothing is easy.

It takes about 30 sec to take off the pulley from the alternator, if you can get to it with the tools. I could not. So instead of removing the alternator I went the short cut way. Yes, this was easier than removing the alternator.

I gained clearance by swinging the A/C, Turbo cooler and Radiator out of the way on the passenger side. Once that was done it took less than 30 sec to change out the pulley. Cost of repair: zero dollars @ about 3 hours work though.

Here is a short video of the correct pulley for the alternator.

Alternator pulley comparsion.wmv - YouTube

And this one

GATES: Alternator Decoupler Pulley - Features and Benefits - YouTube

Hey Str8 and Class 8 owners, see what your missing. Steady, I do like your disclaimer at the end, must read as fast as possible like the truth in advertising is read on radio.