alt fuel

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have heard that Willie Nelson runs pure corn oil in his engines. Is that correct? If so, have they been modified at all? Does corn oil gel and if so at what temp? What kind of milage does it get? I saw in a post that a guy in here knows someone connected with Willie. I think it was "tallcal101". What info might he have if any? Layoutshooter

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Whitehouse Employee Builds Alternative Fuel Vehicle

Volkswagen Passat Now Runs on Corn Oil

Mark Seltzer, application services associate, IS, was an avid environmentalist looking for an immediate alternative to conventional fuel. The solution – converting his Volkswagen Passat to run on a corn-oil system.

Mr. Seltzer began the conversion by purchasing a used diesel-run Passat. Because of the way diesel vehicles are designed, they are more appropriate for using a corn-oil fuel system. After acquiring the necessary parts, and spending a few weeks time retrofitting the car, he had a vehicle that would run on the waste oil he obtains from community restaurants.

“The conversion was not as easy I had imagined,†explains Mr. Seltzer. “A normal diesel car can run on straight vegetable oil, but there are some problems. The conditions have to be optimal: clean oil, and warm operating temperatures.†In colder temperatures, oil can become more viscous, and won’t operate as well. To get around this, Mr. Seltzer installed a system to preheat the oil for his car.

“My commute to work is 30 minutes, so approximately five minutes of my commute are on standard diesel,†he adds. “Once the corn oil is at a sufficient temperature, I switch over and run full time on it.â€

Mr. Selzter’s car, which was recently featured at Earth Week activities in Whitehouse Station, only produces carbon dioxide emissions. And because the corn oil powering his car originally came from a plant that consumed carbon dioxide to live, it amounts to a zero-emission vehicle.

His car achieves 45 to 48 miles per gallon, and the fuel is free from a Chinese restaurant near his home. They gladly provide him with their waste oil, which they’d otherwise need to pay to have removed.

Mr. Seltzer identifies his car with a sign that reads “Green Car: Powered by Vegetable Oil†attached to his bike rack, but otherwise he says few people notice a difference, including his co-workers who carpool to work with him. That is, except for the faint smell of fried food.

To learn more about Mr. Seltzer’s experience with an alternative fuel vehicle, read an interview with him on the Safety & the Environment Web site at usryap0051.merck.com/S&E/EarthWeek/EWLibrary.html.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks, I will look that up. I wonder if corn oil grows algea like bio-diesle does? Just have to know everything. Wonder what would happen in a big truck engine? Also the possible other egde of the sword. If we go to all corn fuel, what would the effects on the enviornment be? The will be a great loss of wildlife habitat as we plow more land to grow the corn. What effects will the huge increase in nitrogen levels in the water from the increased use of ferilizer? What about the increased use of pesticides and herbicides? Will these things offset the gains from a cleaner fuel? I would be willing to bet that it is not the free ride that some claim it is. Oh well, not much I can do about it. Just pump in what I am able to and hope for the best I guess. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know it is inevitable, because all these idiots are advertising their sources for the base ingredient - vegetable oil; the government is going to find a way to regulate and tax it as a fuel. I don’t doubt in 5 years that the EPA will find a way to prevent us from modifying the fuel system to accept home grown fuel.

I read a nicely done article by some reporter for a small town newspaper in Iowa, forget the article name but he interviewed a person who is selling this complete $5000 system to run any vegetable oil, including waste oil and installing them in new vehicles. The problem is that it all contains glycerin and that causes some really bad things to happen if mixed with some different types of chemicals. The sad fact is you can use a lot of different oil base products but unless it is refined to a decent standard the manufactures will not honor the warrantees.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ah the "T" word, I don't cuss like that. I am sure that they will come up with a way to tax whatever comes out even heavier than what we pay now. Government just hates to see anyone get ahead. It cuts too much into their share.