Almost ready for the road.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, my rescue cat has just been diagnosed with bone cancer, she might have to be put to sleep this weekend. If that is the case, my timeline for returning to the road might be moved up. I was wondering if there are still any drivers out there like Scott and his wife who drive for carriers that need dedicated drivers to pick up and deliver loads in Canada? I mean deliver loads to Canada after they are dropped off at the terminal by drivers from Laredo, etc who do not go into Canada. Then to stay in Canada and bring back loads to Laredo etc to drop at the terminal to be delivered by other drivers. I'm thinking that being a shorter haul MI to Canada and back driver will be easier on my body than going full bore over the road. I will be looking to make higher rates and will have a new, or near new Ford Transit van. I'm just wondering if this is a doable endeavor if I decide not to try being a fleet owner. If not, then I will have to try going all in OTR again.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, my rescue cat has just been diagnosed with bone cancer, she might have to be put to sleep this weekend. If that is the case, my timeline for returning to the road might be moved up. I was wondering if there are still any drivers out there like Scott and his wife who drive for carriers that need dedicated drivers to pick up and deliver loads in Canada? I mean deliver loads to Canada after they are dropped off at the terminal by drivers from Laredo, etc who do not go into Canada. Then to stay in Canada and bring back loads to Laredo etc to drop at the terminal to be delivered by other drivers. I'm thinking that being a shorter haul MI to Canada and back driver will be easier on my body than going full bore over the road. I will be looking to make higher rates and will have a new, or near new Ford Transit van. I'm just wondering if this is a doable endeavor if I decide not to try being a fleet owner. If not, then I will have to try going all in OTR again.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are plenty of drivers at Load 1 doing this, myself included.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I’d be suspect of the motive behind a driver deciding today, of all days, that he wants to move to Canada, and stay there.
Looking for HIGHER rates are ya ??

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the end of the day I actually make better money making shorter regional runs. Done right you can make decent money and be home nightly 90% of the time.

Reactions: VSprinter

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At the end of the day I actually make better money making shorter regional runs. Done right you can make decent money and be home nightly 90% of the time.
Bob is 100% correct. That's basically what i did for all the years i drove. Out and back mostly, never more than 300 miles when i went out one way.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I did that from California back in 2009. I just don't want to have to start my own company again to do it. I want to work for one of the bigger guys.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sorry to hear about the cat.

Thanks Bigstick. I feel really bad for her. She was relinquished to a shelter at age 10, left there for over 5 years until I adopted her. Then she got cancer 2 years later. She hid from me for almost six months when she first came home with me, scared and very stressed out. Then slowly she began opening up to me. We finally had about 1 good year of human animal bonding. She started sleeping next to me and being very attached. I wish she had had a better life. I kept her even though she was having a lot of accidents out of her litter box. I had to replace a bed and a couch. I would carry her upstairs to her litter box every 24 hours and leave her in there with the door closed for 30 minutes for her to do her business. It cut down on the accidents and she was only having one accident a week or so by doing this. I would rather carry a cat to the bathroom than have to force medication on them like I had to do with my last cat who made it to 19 and a half years of age. I never gave up on her, even when the shelter wanted to take her back because her bathroom accidents were not medical issues, they were because they said she was too lazy. All that work to get her to fall in love with me and now she is in tatters. She has that zoned out look like my Cleo had in her last days, like she is not herself anymore. I got a pur out of her for a minute on Tuesday. Tomorrow I will go visit her and see if she is doing any better. So far, she has not eaten for almost a week. If she is still not eating, I might have to say my final goodbyes to her tomorrow. No more cats for me. I'm going back to the road. The road allows no time for animals and I'm not really a dog person. I like dogs, but not to own them.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Hate to hear about the cat. went thru that with a couple dogs

Thanks Jason. It's hard to go through. Sometimes I wish I was a sociopath and didn't feel at all. Life would me much easier.

Very sorry about your cat. I appreciate your feelings and dedication to her.
My fur buddy is 14 and slowing down but still on the road with me.
A few years ago, another cat of mine died on Christmas when I was away driving class A and could not take her with, so that was rough to go through.
I'm home working on the truck and this cat does not let me out of sight for long and is on my lap right now.
For me, it took a very long time to get over losing a cat and having feelings is never a bad thing.
Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited: