Allison transmission

JORGE E

New Recruit
I have hino 268 2006 in 2012 my tranni not work properly and I bring my truck to wajax in Edmonton Alberta they said you need change your transmission and the cost is $ 8.000 I not have choice I agree and my truck was !!fixed !! after 2 years working the tranni start to liking oil and no work properly I come back to wajax and explain my problem at one lady in the counter service and she told me with very rusty manners well you have to bring your truck back to check the tranni,I ask how much for the check she said between $ 800 and $1000 dollars.I explain that the warranty just pass one month ago and she told me oh you have very bad luck Mister.
I no understand how Allison has a dealer like Wajax in Edmonton Alberta poor service bad service and the worst with wajax Edmonton the client always lost I work by myself and believe me spend $ 8000 is very hard I spend all my savings and I lost $ 8000 dollars because this company wajax is not a honest company I hope Allison take action in this matter because is not only me anybody wants to go wajax for service.
I not recommend to everybody avoid put your equipment in this bad call company wajax.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sorry to hear this. Normally Allison Transmissions are bullet proof. Call Allison's National customer service line and talk to them. Also, just saying, if you knew this was happening why did you wait till the warranty was up before you went in. The trans wont just use fluid, it will leak it. Has it been serviced regularly? Could be a TCM/ECM issue as to why it's not working properly but that doesn't solve the fluid problem. Just a few idea's.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than someone on the phone saying so what makes you think the transmission is the problem.
If the trans crapped the bed in two years that is too soon. An Allison should be good for 350,000 to 400,000 miles and several years WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE..
Allison's are bullet proof by design but require everything to be within normal ranges. The most common things are engine performance issues,and then electrical, and then transmission. What is the condition of the fluid? Clear red to clear yellowish, is Normal. Burned brown/black, or clutch material and or metal in it the transmission is bad. If you have a spin on filter have a tech cut the filter open with a filter cutter and look for debris
Did you have a NEW torque converter, cooler and lines installed?, or did you have to go cheap and forget to get it done or simply write it off. Did you carry out proper maintenance like changing fluid and filters.

Filters every 25,000 to 50,000 miles max fluid every 50,000 to 200,000 depending on its use. I change my spin on filter every 12,000 miles or twice a year, if sitting regardless of mileage. If you are going through fluid and its not leaking I would send in a sample and find out what it is. The proper fluid is Transynd synthetic it will not evaporate at the same rate as Dextron. All fluids will evaporate a little if you are maintaining the truck you should be checking the fluid daily and topping it off. Fluid loss in large amounts more than a pint per 5000 miles is allot. it usually means fluid leaks

Good luck
Bob Wolf
Dextron is acceptable but requires more frequent maintenance.
An ABS malfunction something as simple as a bad sensor or cracked wire will throw off your shift patterns or affect the transmission in other ways. Often it will not go into converter lockup or shift properly the ABS light does not have to be lit up to cause issues. I would first check all the connectors on the transmission and chase the wire harness from the transmission to the TCM make sure the connectors and wires are are clean and dry remove the tape covering the wires and make sure the wires aren't frayed. If you arent showing an accurate RPM on the tach I would check the converter speed sensor as this is often used for engine speed and torque converter lockup.
If the transmission is cable operated you can try disconnecting the main TCM wire harness from the transmission and try driving without the TCM connected and it will shift in mechanical mode. You might not get overdrive and lockup, depends on the transmission you will show a transmission light. If you get at least 1st through 4th and possably T. lockup the transmission is not the issue

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
after 2 years working the tranni start to liking oil and no work properly.

Did the ABS warning light come on during this time?

Did you ever replace the small spin-on filter in this two-year period?

What were you refilling it with (since it was leaking)?

If the ABS light came on during this time, the torque converter will unlock and the transmission quickly overheats.

Allison recommends replacing, not flushing, transmission coolers when a new unit is installed. On your Hino, the cooler is inside the bottom radiator tank and is not replaceable. You'd have to replace the entire radiator.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Other than someone on the phone saying so what makes you think the transmission is the problem.
If the trans crapped the bed in two years that is too soon. An Allison should be good for 350,000 to 400,000 miles and several years WITH PROPER MAINTENANCE..

We're at 1,002,037 on ours. Probably should have changed cooler lines sooner. The metal clip inside the push-on fitting gave way a couple of weeks ago. Lucky we made it to the side of the road. We use Delvac ATF. Much cheaper, and ours is just a bit out of warranty. Out of every component on this truck, I am most sold on Allison transmissions. Like Dynamite said, they're just about bulletproof.

Reactions: BobWolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is the Delvac ATF your using full synthetic, synthetic blend, or Dextron based? Like I said synthetic ATF is far superior to dino based ATF.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We're at 1,002,037 on ours. Probably should have changed cooler lines sooner. The metal clip inside the push-on fitting gave way a couple of weeks ago. Lucky we made it to the side of the road. We use Delvac ATF. Much cheaper, and ours is just a bit out of warranty. Out of every component on this truck, I am most sold on Allison transmissions. Like Dynamite said, they're just about bulletproof.

Awesome!!!!! 1 million pluss clearly you take maintenance seriously like I do. I hope I get that many miles out of mine. I agree, changing the lines is cheaper than changing the trans.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cool, get to save a few bucks. Most likely its still made by Castrol and bottled Delvac just like Transynd.