Allison Automatic 3000 Transmission

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Question I have is, can the shift point be changed? I need to be 62 for mine to shift into 6th. I wish it shifted into 6th at 58 or 59 mph. Just wondering if this is possible.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I asked the same thing, we have the same tranny with the same shift point ; drives me crazy when running 55-60 if I get past 63 I then slowly go back to 59mph but it usually downshifts below 59 , let me know what you find out!

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
From a random blog.......

Steve from the FCOC group posted this response:

"I have been told that at a dead stop shifting between Drive and Reverse
without going to neutral resets the transmission and learning starts
over.Then to maintain your settings always go through neutral when shifting
between drive and reverse."

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
From a random blog.......

Steve from the FCOC group posted this response:

"I have been told that at a dead stop shifting between Drive and Reverse
without going to neutral resets the transmission and learning starts
over.Then to maintain your settings always go through neutral when shifting
between drive and reverse."

this is true, however, the learning curve is only associated with driving habits not shift points. Shift points are computer programmed and as far as I know cannot be changed unless Allison has come out with a new program. I researched this in depth after we built ours cause of this same issue. Haven't checked in awhile, nor have I checked the aftermarket.

As far as the learning goes, the tranny will shift hard in a range to soft depending on how you use the throttle. If you are hard on the throttle it will shift hard, if easy it will shift almost as it is slipping into each gear. It all depends on you.

Let us know if you find any new info.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Call Bobby Snyder at FYDA Freightliner (assuming he's still there) and see if he has Allison's regional rep's name and number. He gave it to me several years ago when I needed an M2 6th gear turned on. The rep was super helpful and did the reprogram for free. Just had to get my driver to meet him on the road one day.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
No thanks, would rather stop on side of rode and set truck on fire than call FYDA for anything!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What about the different tuners like Bully Dog? Do they allow you to adjust shift points? I know they do on cv's.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'd love to reset my CV not to downshift at 3+ MPH below cruise. I'm thinking 5+ would be better. Any opinions? I hate forgetting to take it out if cruise on Jellico or the like.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I posed the same question at an Allison shop and the service manager said he could change the shift points for around $120, but, he said keep in mind the factory sets them where they are now for a reason. Anything different may be harder on the powertrain, so I left my where it is. I do, however question it since I believe this truck, a GA Classic M2, came with low pro 22.5's from the factory and were replaced with tall 22.5's. The salesman told me this would increase fuel economy, which I now know is totally opposite of what tall rubber does.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I posed the same question at an Allison shop and the service manager said he could change the shift points for around $120, but, he said keep in mind the factory sets them where they are now for a reason. Anything different may be harder on the powertrain, so I left my where it is. I do, however question it since I believe this truck, a GA Classic M2, came with low pro 22.5's from the factory and were replaced with tall 22.5's. The salesman told me this would increase fuel economy, which I now know is totally opposite of what tall rubber does.

You will find many times a manufacturer does things that may cut horse power or hurt the power train simply for a more comfortable and quite ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last edited: