All Gone!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yesterday's wind storm was responsible for a rather substantial seiche. The marina where we normally keep our boats, was bone dry. What that means is that more than 6' of water was blown out by the wind. The canal behind my friends house was dry, it is normally between 4' and 6' deep.

The water is SLOWLY returning as the winds die off today, BUT, they are still quite high and it is going to take much longer than normal for the water to return. It may not come up to normal until sometime late tonight.

The power of winds is awesome.

Surges and Seiches - Teaching Great Lakes Science

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The power of nature is incredible.

The seiches are seen on the Lakes every year, with November being a "prime" month for them on the Western Basin of Lake Erie. It is something to watch.

Several years ago, my friends and I, did a duck hunt for the Gander Mountain TV show, "We Live Outdoors".

During that show we were hunting out in front of "Rat Island", Slo-Ride has hunted there, in about 6' of water.

Later that week a wind storm like the one we had yesterday blew up. The water was blown out. I took my wife down to the Lake to show her what takes place. ALL of our boats in the marina were sitting on mud, no water around them. The area where we were hunting was dry and people were riding 4 wheelers where our layout boats had been placed during the hunt.

It is something to see.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
That's a lot of water to come up missing.. :D
Hate to see what would happen if it didn't come back in slowly..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's a lot of water to come up missing.. :D
Hate to see what would happen if it didn't come back in slowly..

It can catch a person off guard for sure!

Enough water has come back that we were able to get all 5 boats in the water this afternoon. All set for our hunt in the morning.