Air tabs

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I just ordered the air tab kit for my st8 truck,I'm pretty sure ill have extras.
So I'm wondering what's the best way to use them up?
Where have you placed them on your truck that seems to have made some difference?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Gottago has them on the hood, which I didn't do because it requires determining the airflow pattern by placing something on the hood - there is [or was] a description of the process on the Airtabs website, and it looked complicated. She also has some on the west coast mirrors, fenders, and toolboxes, if I remember correctly [the ones on her hat don't count, lol] but I don't know how many of them make a difference, and how many are just "because". ;)
Most of us just put them across the back edge of the roof & down both sides at the rear of the box, saving any extras for replacements.
If you want to paint them use the Krylon outdoor spray - mine have held up for over 3 years and still look good, IMO.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
My truck and box are jet black already so no paint is needed I might clear coat them so the shine like the rest of the truck

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I just ordered the air tab kit for my st8 truck,I'm pretty sure ill have extras.
So I'm wondering what's the best way to use them up?
Where have you placed them on your truck that seems to have made some difference?

What did they set you back?

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums mobile app

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The kit like 88 parts was around 220.00 it's like 2.75 each but they give a discount if ya order 50,000 of them very nice I thought!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Keep your extra Air Tabs. You'll want them if a tree branch or the top of a loading dock surface damages one or more of the ones you have on your truck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've had mine on for, I dunno, 6 or 7 years, and within the first year I lost 2 of them, both due to being hit by long-handled scrub brushes at truck washes. Haven't lost any since then, but I'm glad I had some spares.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are the stats? Do they actualy help at the fuel pump? If so what MPGs are you averaging before and after.
Ill even consider it as a plus if the little gnome guy hops out and pumps the fuel.

Bob Wolf.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Hard to tell how much they help mpg, but I can see they keep the rear of my box cleaner.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
I've had mine on for, I dunno, 6 or 7 years, and within the first year I lost 2 of them, both due to being hit by long-handled scrub brushes at truck washes. Haven't lost any since then, but I'm glad I had some spares.

On a van or a straight?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
On a van or a straight?
On a Sprinter.

Air Tabs will have a more pronounced effect on a vehicle where the side walls and the rear meet at right angles to the airflow, like with a box on a straight truck or a trailer. And you should mount them as close to the back (trailing) edge of the vehicle while ensuring proper adhesion. On a Sprinter, the rear-most side walls of the box begin curving towards the back end, instead of meeting the back at right angles. But since you need an absolutely flat surface with which to mount the Air Tabs, you cannot mount them on the curve (the Air Tabs are not moldable and will not stay stuck if forced onto a curved surface). Because of that curve on a Sprinter, you cannot mount the Air Tabs as far rearward as is recommended. You have to move them forward a few inches and mount them there.

The Air Tabs must be mounted within 14 inches of the rear right angle, but the closer the better. An in or two is the ideal. With a Sprinter, the rear isn't even a right angle, so 14 inches is too far. The only viable option is to mount the Air Tabs immediately in front of where the curvature of the rear side walls begin. Moving them forward decreases their impact on the airflow drag a little. Not a lot, but just a little. They are still quite effective when mounted as shown in the photos below. The bottom picture also shows the roof-mounted tabs.

IMG_0191a_zpsae3cf8d7.jpg

IMG_0192Raa_zpsdef2a8f5.jpg

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I had them on a couple of D units. I put them on when I got the trucks not sure about fuel mileage but they defiantly help with cross winds or when big trucks pass you. Helped on C/V I've had and soon I will be adding them to three semi trailers to help keep the rear doors cleaner in the winter. I can't put them on the tractors because I lease the trucks.

spongebox1

Expert Expediter
On a Sprinter.

Air Tabs will have a more pronounced effect on a vehicle where the side walls and the rear meet at right angles to the airflow, like with a box on a straight truck or a trailer. And you should mount them as close to the back (trailing) edge of the vehicle while ensuring proper adhesion. On a Sprinter, the rear-most side walls of the box begin curving towards the back end, instead of meeting the back at right angles. But since you need an absolutely flat surface with which to mount the Air Tabs, you cannot mount them on the curve (the Air Tabs are not moldable and will not stay stuck if forced onto a curved surface). Because of that curve on a Sprinter, you cannot mount the Air Tabs as far rearward as is recommended. You have to move them forward a few inches and mount them there.

The Air Tabs must be mounted within 14 inches of the rear right angle, but the closer the better. An in or two is the ideal. With a Sprinter, the rear isn't even a right angle, so 14 inches is too far. The only viable option is to mount the Air Tabs immediately in front of where the curvature of the rear side walls begin. Moving them forward decreases their impact on the airflow drag a little. Not a lot, but just a little. They are still quite effective when mounted as shown in the photos below. The bottom picture also shows the roof-mounted tabs.

IMG_0191a_zpsae3cf8d7.jpg

IMG_0192Raa_zpsdef2a8f5.jpg

On the roof as well or the sides?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes. Anywhere there is a trailing edge, especially a right angle. Sides, top, even tool boxes. Underneath would be good, but they'd never hold up to the road grime.