Air Dryers

fdell

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Can anyone help me with maintainance info for the air dryer on my FL-80? How often should it be serviced, and is it a do it yourself.(REEALLY want to avoid dealership!!)I think it's a dessicant cartridge that needs to be changed.I handle most other routine fixin but before I pull this thing apart, I'd like to know what to expect...

Thanks, Frank

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think about every 3 years would be a good interval to have the air dryer serviced. I have had many problems with the purge valve in the dryer that pops off when max pressure is acheived.I carry a complete spare valve and also a a connecting device to bypass the dryer if necessary. You can tell when this valve is starting to leak and go when you hear a long chattering when the compressor starts to pump.You shopuld only hear about 1-2 small chatters.There are O rings that seal the valve in the dryer and they start to leak. The replacement valve assembly is relatively cheap and you can install it your self if need be.I did it on I 95 in New Haven CT once.(lots of fun).

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The dryer does not generally require any routine maintenance, but the air brake system does.. What type of air system problem are you having? I have had the same problem as Rich with my older Midland dryer esp. with cold weather release valve freezing. But I think your FL80 if it is newer has a Bendix dryer that is a bit different- esp. if the truck has Wabco ABS. Bendix usually have a cartridge replacement, but it may not solve whatever your problem is. If you can describe the trouble further, I may be able to help. If you don't like your Freightliner dealer it is a good idea to make friends with a good independent truck mechanic in your area. (Regardless). They will most likely be your best source of honest help as they fix trucks and don't sell them.
Let me know whats up-
--Weave--

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Air dryers are easy to service. You won't have any trouble tackling this task. Your truck probably has Bendix AD9 air dryer on it. But in any case. All you need to do is get a kit for your dryer. You can get just the desicent cartridge or you can get a complete kit that comes with the cartridge,o-ring, purge valve, and heater. Best to get the whole kit. Since your gonna have the dryer off anyway. Bendix has complete instructions inside the kit on how to do everything. Not that you will need them. Good Luck!