Agricultural Season

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It is time..the mid west is buzzing..it is harvest season and going strong...

Right now I am NOT feeling any sympathy toward unemployed Americans or American University students in general....

I have had discussions here with 2 combine owners that are camped in my trailer park and the stories they can tell just how lazy and spoiled their fellow citizens are back east. For years they tried to get Americans out knowing the rough shape of the economy and they tried to be supportive of their fellow citizens but to no avail and always disappointment...

There are a ton of seasonal jobs available to help the unemployed make it thru these tough times...but they just don't want to get their hands dirty....It is a real shame...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yes there is massive unemployment, no one can deny that....but as in this case, there is work to be found IF you really want to work, aren't above taking a lower wage then you have made in the past and if you are willing to take responciblity for yourself....

I read where AMERICAN workers are now picking Strawberries....might be a bit humbling for some, but you do what you have to do when you have to do it......

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yeah...there is 1 as in one American on the 2 crews...The rest are from SA...Ireland and Scotland..foreign exchange students from Ohio State U.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OVM, tell me about these jobs?

Here they won't hire people from the area or out of state due to the number of agreements made with roving pickers. These guys get p*ssed off when you show up there to work because they have their monopoly.