Again about Mercedes Sprinter

muminov77

Rookie Expediter
I live in Northern California and I have more than one year, my own authority ( MC & DOT ) numbers. I need some advice from you guys...Please.
I wanna purchase, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter, cargo van zero mileage, GVWR 11000 Lbs & can tow about 7500 Lbs. If I add aluminum one car hauler trailer ( empty weight 1,350-1,600Lbs GVWR 7000Lbs). How much I can make $ monthly, for 7,000-10,000 miles? Anybody running on CV with trailers? Is this good decision for today?
Thank you for everyone

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I live in Northern California and I have more than one year, my own authority ( MC & DOT ) numbers. I need some advice from you guys...Please.
I wanna purchase, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter, cargo van zero mileage, GVWR 11000 Lbs & can tow about 7500 Lbs. If I add aluminum one car hauler trailer ( empty weight 1,350-1,600Lbs GVWR 7000Lbs). How much I can make $ monthly, for 7,000-10,000 miles? Anybody running on CV with trailers? Is this good decision for today?
Thank you for everyone

I've seen people doing it....don't know how they are making out tho....most if not all members here do it the conventional way...and you must realize you'll have scales and the log book to deal with?....and if thatis the case if youare spending 45K on a Sprinter and another 5k or so on a trailer....why not just buy a straight truck?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good old U-ship wantabees...... They see the Fake show and believe the dream......lol

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Before going this route, make sure the standard commercial auto liability insurance covers this since its a "combination unit". Otherwise you're probably going to have to carry a rider.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good old U-ship wantabees...... They see the Fake show and believe the dream......lol

No not really....our hotshot brothers have been known to cross over into general freight...same as we have been digging into their business of the oilfields ...
I imagine United and Mayflower say the same thing about Ushippers...lol

Oh yeah...then our cousins the trailer haulers....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I Understand about the hotshot people......but I have had people ask me about the guy on the show using a cargo van pulling a cargo trailer. ....this just reminded me of the show.......besides most of the serious hotshot people use 1 ton duallies as a standard pulling vehicle or single axle flatbed Str8.........not a Sprinter....

muminov77

Rookie Expediter
I already sold my semi truck with 53'Ft SD trailer
because 2007 trucks can't enter to CALIFORNIA from next year and no reasonable fr8

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You probably want to ask your question on a forum for hot shot drivers. Sorry don't know the links but they are out there.

Just personal opinion but I would not purchase a sprinter as a tow vehicle. I also think in that business your severely limiting yourself with a one car trailer. You want to at least double up to increase your price per mile.

There are brokers who specialize in car hauling I would seek them out and ask questions.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reminds me of what I saw Saturday night at the J in Texarkana, Ark. Extended Chevy van, utility trailer with car, and attached by towbar to the trailer, another car. Mexican plates on van. Hope they made it home :eek:

muminov77

Rookie Expediter
I never see any Fake shows and I'm not believe for any dreams, just calculate my self.
If LTL move for $ 1.00 a mile, plus car additional for $0.50. Minus insurance, IFTA, oil change,maintenance and Diesel. I think this is, not too bad. Before double check, all the time less mistakes.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I understand your wanting to haul freight in the van along with auto on the trailer? A large part of the time your not going to have both so won't average what your thinking a mile. I suggest you focus on one segment of the industry rather than attempting to combine two.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can only imagine making more work for myself than it would be worth. The trailer has to be uncoupled/coupled every time you want to load or unload the van through the rear doors, and since this is a heavy trailer you've got trailer brakes and at least a 7-pole wiring harness to deal with. Trailer electrics being what they are, count on time spent trouble-shooting your lights sooner rather than later.

Way back in the day, I towed a small boat trailer. Under 700lbs all up, 4-pole harness, no trailer brakes but the lights could be troublesome. They have a tendency to not work just when you need them the most. Ever try tracing a bad ground in the rain? It's not fun, I can assure you.

Last edited: