Aftermarket Parts?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Has anyone reading tried installing aftermarket parts like cold air breather, throttle body modification, flow thru exhaust to increase HP or mileage with your pannel wagon or cube van?? If so, what provided the largest increase (if any), and what would one expect for improvement in power/mileage?

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
The place i purchased injectors from has what they cal a tuner,i don't recall the company however if ya cal Matt at MDI 219 663 7286 he can give you the company who makes it.If i recall they make a tuner for the 6.0 ford diesel that suppose to give ya between 1-3 mpg,it's 299$ and has a 30 day return policy.I wil give it a try,just hard to get over there.They not open on weekends and to get the driver and the van over is not easy,it's a real easy install 10 or 20 mins if my memory serves.They have them for other diesel engines,Cummings or whatever they put in the Dodges.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i am guessing this is for the hemi?

summit racing has perf parts for trucks.

Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030

i do not have personal eperience with that stuff. most times when i hear about a k&n filter that helps you gain hp and mileage i also hear k&n has larger holes in the filters allowing more dirt into the engine.

if its disel power check out the diesel mags on the news stands. lots of tuners putting insane hp into fords/dodges and gm trucks.

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Col.if you change to a K & N filter system,and a FLOWMASTER muffler you should see at least 1/2 mpg increase in fuel mileage.Dont mess with the throttle body but you can get a tuner for your ECM.If you do a tuner,they claim you can get as much as 3 mpg increase,but I dont believe it.Most the guys running tuners,are also drag racing,and they dont care about the increase of exhaust smoke,I put a chip,Flowmaster and K & N in my 1994 GMC,gas mileage jumped 1 mpg.My 2000 trans am also has K & N filter and cat back exhaust,those two things dropped my elapse time in 1/4 mile by .2 seconds,and car gets 21 mpg while being raced

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've heard the same thing about K&N, but the performance seekers seem to love them. If it were me, I'd go with a chip first and then decide if I wanted to do more. The folks that do hotshot and deliver big trailers swear by the chips.

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
It all depends how there tuned,most guys wanna smoke the tire with there diesel pick ups so ya tune it for hp or torque or whatever.If ya tune it for mpg it's suppose to give ya better mpg,i trust the guy cause i've purchased thousands of dollars worth of his injectors which are 20% cheaper then ford and Iternational and have a 1yr unlimited mile warranty.I drive a gas van with a k@n and also had a 7.3 diesel with one,now i just had the filters not the whole system.I did not notice the mpg go up however there worth it cause ya don't have to buy filters.I will try the tuner i know i'll get refunded if i don't like it for whatever reason,again gotta get driver and van over there.I have broke 20 mpg with since i replaced the injectors in my 550,000 ford.I drove it the 1st 100,000 and even with the wind at my back empty 19 was the best,it would avg 18 now it's avg 19.Before they did injectors they did a dyno and compression test to let me know if the engine was worth the injector replacement all checked out so away i go to for at least 800,000 I had them due the egr cause it was due and there price was 169 bucks,i had to buy one from ford once 379 bucks.I clean them around 250,000 thousand,instead of having them go out and get hit with the ford price along the there crazy labor.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
All info is good info for the thread. I'm more interested in 5.7 Hemi outcomes. My research has seemed to say that a chip is effective with an automatic but not so much with a manual trans. Mine seems to lack response, thus the question bout the throttle body. I understand it wouldnt do much for economy, but would like it to be quicker in response. Way quicker without spending ten grand for a puffer.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
col the throttle body wont improve response,the original is good for 500 hp.I race with a guy that has the 426 ci hemi,he did K&N filter,some other mods and with street slicks still only runs 13.40s.You have to be careful of the automatic tranny,doesnt hold up real well un abuse.You are right about the chip,it mainly is good for shift points and you wont see alot of difference in a stardard tranny car

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Thanks. Guess i'll have to get back to the drawing board, an try to figgure a way to wake mine up, jes seems to be real tired compared to a friends magnum.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes, it is a 5.7/350, and it resides in a 3500 Dodge cab and chassis.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
your lot heavier than that Magnum,but do what I said,you will see big improvement.If your a standard shift,a chip is waist of money,so is a programer.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
The dually ratio is 4:10. Don't expect it to be a rocket sled, as it prolly never will be. But, the difference setting in the driveway when ya goose it is really telling. There is considerable time lapse between when I ask for it, and when I get it. Throttle response jes isn't there. I'll git to the bottom of it tho. There is a sign in the speed shop I been visit'in here in San Antonio that says "Speed costs money, How fast do ya wanna go??"

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the other sign usually says.....if you want to make a small fortune in racing start with a large one.

no bigger money pits than houses and cars.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
the difference is in the weight,your gear ratio is fine but weight is killing you.nothing less than a supe charger is going to help if its of the line power you want,or nitrous,that be cool,dullie on the juice,you would then have to increase fuel settings or go caboom

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Jes guess i'll haft start tweaking and wait for the ka boom, an if that happens i'll jes git me one of them 440 hemi crates. That outa wake er up. Keep ya informed.

That might be cool a 3500 flatbed on the "juice". Hmmmm?