African Union Demads

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The African Union wants the current European/US activities in Libya to stop. One wonders if they will decide to "get involved" in this civil war too. They are weak for sure but any expansion would be bad.

African Union demands 'immediate' halt to Libya attacks​

NOUAKCHOTT (AFP) – The African Union's panel on Libya Sunday called for an "immediate stop" to all attacks after the United States, France and Britain launched military action against Moamer Kadhafi's forces.

After a more than four-hour meeting in the Mauritanian capital, the body also asked Libyan authorities to ensure "humanitarian aid to those in need," as well as the "protection of foreigners, including African expatriates living in Libya."

It underscored the need for "necessary political reforms to eliminate the causes of the present crisis" but at the same time called for "restraint" from the international community to avoid "serious humanitarian consequences."

The panel also announced a meeting in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa on March 25, along with representatives from the Arab League, the Organisation of Islamic Conference, the European Union and the United Nations to "put in place a mechanism for consultation and concerted action" to resolve the Libyan crisis.

The AU committee on Libya is composed of five African heads of state. But the Nouakchott meeting was only attended by the presidents of Mauritania, Mali and Congo. South Africa and Uganda were represented by ministers.

The committee said it had been unable to get international permission to visit Tripoli on Sunday but did not elaborate.
Libyan generosity and Moamer Kadhafi's role in the creation of the African Union could explain the continental cautious stand, experts said.

The AU was born in the 1999 Sirte Declaration, named after a summit hosted by Kadhafi in his hometown on the Libyan coast.
The declaration said its authors felt inspired by Kadhafi's "vision for a strong and united Africa."

"The AU as an organisation has benefited significantly from Kadhafi's wealth," said Fred Golooba Mutebi of the Institute of Social Research at Kampala's Makerere University.

The pan-African body has taken a firmer stance on three west African crises: most recently Ivory Coast and previously Guinea and Niger.

Handouts aside, Libya has invested billions of dollars in sub-Saharan Africa.

It has interests in more than two dozen African countries, while its petroleum refining and distribution unit Oil Libya has interests in at least as many.

Libyan telecommunications unit LAP Green is present in five countries in the region and expanding rapidly

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/libyaunrestmilitaryafricanunion

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Told you.

They are not weak, they play by African rules, not the west's rules. We seem to forget that it is their world, not ours and we should not be there to begin with.

This is one reason why we don't send troops into Africa to stop real mass killing and one reason why Clooney and his type got disgusted with the UN and US over Darfur.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Told you.

They are not weak, they play by African rules, not the west's rules. We seem to forget that it is their world, not ours and we should not be there to begin with.

This is one reason why we don't send troops into Africa to stop real mass killing and one reason why Clooney and his type got disgusted with the UN and US over Darfur.

I meant weak in a military sense only. I don't think this was a wise move for us at all. Obama was warned about getting involved there and, just like Carter and Clinton, he ignored the warnings. I have a VERY bad feeling that my son's and nephew's next deployments will be in Africa instead of Afghanistan and sooner rather than later. Oh do I hope I am wrong.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No they are not weak in the sense of solving problems within the African border, they are weak if they had to fight us or say Germany. They may beat France.

I just got that feeling that this is the first step in a long line of steps to get us in there and fighting. Obama needs a war.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No they are not weak in the sense of solving problems within the African border, they are weak if they had to fight us or say Germany. They may beat France.

I just got that feeling that this is the first step in a long line of steps to get us in there and fighting. Obama needs a war.

The University of Michigan girls volley ball team could beat France.

All of the wars we have been involved in for who knows how long have started with a Dumb-O-Crat in office. Obama has dreams of ruling the world through the UN. He is going to get a LOT of Americans killed to further HIS power.