Advise with Truck Shopping / Vehicle Age

bobk786

Rookie Expediter
I've got my eye on this truck, 2004 Freightliner M2, 300k. Double sleeper and 24 ft box. Just wanted to know if the age of the truck would cause some carriers not to hire (if they have a policy that trucks must be less that 10 years old)? Any carriers that you can recommend that wouldn't have those issues would be helpful as well. Drive safe if you're in my neck of the woods (NW Burbs, Chicago) pretty hard rains.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That truck MAY limit the loads you get. It is likely not legal in California. A lot would depend on what kind of work you are looking to do.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I've got my eye on this truck, 2004 Freightliner M2, 300k. Double sleeper and 24 ft box. Just wanted to know if the age of the truck would cause some carriers not to hire (if they have a policy that trucks must be less that 10 years old)? Any carriers that you can recommend that wouldn't have those issues would be helpful as well. Drive safe if you're in my neck of the woods (NW Burbs, Chicago) pretty hard rains.

Add Texas to the other state that you can't run with that.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you can't look at maintance records leave that truck alone
you want to know what has been done to truck

turritrans

Expert Expediter
The age is fine

Take it to a trusted mechanic for a thourough inspection and have it plugged into a scanner by the shop to run codes.

A good and trusted mechanic will tell you what you need to know.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is it an aluma-bunk truck? If it is (which many of that year were) I would pass on it all together.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is there a story of why 300,000 miles in 9 years ?
Sometimes when they say it has 300,000 miles they mean on a rebuilt engine. The balance of the truck may be at 900,000 plus miles.