Advise me please

Porter70

New Recruit
Driver
Hi Everyone,
I have been a co-driver of a straight truck to my owner operator at FedEx CC for 3 months and I'm seriously thinking about putting all my savings into my own truck. I would like to complete my 6 month OTR experience and become a solo expediter for Landstar. It scares me a lot, what I am going to do. I wonder if I can survive as a solo driver in the expediting business?
Another question is, are solo drivers given any R loads?
Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike LaVelle

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm really not sure what you are asking, but having been in the business for only 3 months, your not ready to go solo. There is still much to learn.

Reactions: Grizzly and Moot

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running solo for a O/O will best answer those questions for you before taking the plunge.
As each company is different, so is Team vs. Solo.

If Landstar is your goal, I would find a O/O for solo there to get on with. That should reduce your fear, or confirm it without the risk.

FYI- There was just such a position available the other day in the EO classified section here. If anything, perhaps this person could steer you in the right direction. You can also contact Landstar directly to inquire about such positions. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot and Grizzly

Porter70

New Recruit
Driver
Answering Ragman, I am asking if a solo dry van expediter can make ends meet at Landstar. From what I see at FedEx, there are simply not enough loads.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Answering Ragman, I am asking if a solo dry van expediter can make ends meet at Landstar. From what I see at FedEx, there are simply not enough loads.
Just making sure i understand,
You want to go from teaming in a straight truck to solo in a van. Correct?

Porter70

New Recruit
Driver
I would like to go from teaming to solo in a straight truck. I used the word van referring to dry van/box loads in a straight truck. My plan is to become an owner operator and drive solo my own truck for Landstar. Currently I am a team driver for FedEx. The intention of my post was to seek for an advice if it's not too risky to put all my savings in a truck if I am going to be a solo driver.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would like to go from teaming to solo in a straight truck. I used the word van referring to dry van/box loads in a straight truck. My plan is to become an owner operator and drive solo my own truck for Landstar. Currently I am a team driver for FedEx. The intention of my post was to seek for an advice if it's not too risky to put all my savings in a truck if I am going to be a solo driver.
Ah, gotch. Not knowing much details about either, it wouldn't be right for me to comment.
You really need to find a Landstar solo driver to talk to.