ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
I hav been offered an o/o with local expediting company.They run out of central NC Raleigh to Charlotte then up to mid-west Chicago-Detroit- Cincy -Cleveland Pittsburg @1.25 loaded miles then p/u return loads to home area at about 1/2 rate (so we talkin .90 per-mile ). I'd be able to sleep in my own bed about 3 nights a week .Most runs are weekenders;out Thursday or Friday back Monday or Tuesday.I'm assuming(&you know what that can get you!!!)$1700.00-$2250.00 per week GROSS.The BIG QUESTION is does this sound good to you folks who have been in expiditing any time? Isure would apprecite any response to my post& any advice you have to offer. Thanks JIMMY-THE PKG VAN MAN

bret

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would be glad to offer you my advice, but I need some more info. like how dh? , what unit size your driving? From what you stated, do you mean these are dedicated runs?

G

Bret this is was what was relayed to me by operations manager of this comnpany.They want me to get a 24' box truck (most of what i have seen are FL-70s no sleeper)like local p&d trucks. He said minimal dead head (less than150miles) to p/u return load.By what i understand this company hauls all contracted runs for local mfgs in the area i stated in my post.The reason I wanted advice is the truck I've got doesn't fit their profile & before I sink $40,000-$50,000 in a truck to do something thats a l;ittle different than I'm used to I need all the advice I can get.THANKS for answeringJimmy

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jimmy, this sounds like the much sought after, seldom found, dedicated expediter job! And THREE nights per week at HOME??? Heaven!

My advice:

Talk to some of the other drivers for this company. They should be able to give you a clear picture of exactly what you can expect as far as deadhead, gross pay, etc. are concerned.

With so many owners looking for drivers, have you thought about contacting some of them about putting a truck on with this company? You would be able to "test the water" before making a big investment.

Talk to some of the expediter truck dealers to find out about trading in your current vehicle on what you need. You should be able to get an excellent deal, because of the glut of trucks on the market right now. Another option, along these lines, is to check out the classified ads here on Expediters Online. A "take over payments" situation might be a possibility, and beneficial to both you and someone that just wants out.

That's all i can think of right now. Sure hope it helps!

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

dory

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
maybe you could rent a 6 wheeler for a while to try it.

if it doesnt work out, turn in the rent a truck . You would

probably be better off to lose a little than a lot......

I have never seen any trucking job that totally lived up to

the expectations. If there was a lot of money in it

they would own all the trucks themselves.

Be very carefull....

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Folks thanks for your guidance&advice!I know there is alot more questions to ask these folks&myself.I appreciate ya'alls help a bunch.!!!! JIMMY

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
OPPS!!!Sorry Dory!! Ididn't post it right!!!& in reply to your post good idea I just might try that!And is it me or are all the non-union companies going to o/o (they do get out a lot cheaper that way) than employes?THANKS JIMMY