Advice for a cargo newbie?

jrhoades

New Recruit
Researching
Any and all advice would be appreciated!
I'm completely new to this. I've driven a class A before but not a cargo van otr.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not knowing your situation, my first advice would be to not do it if possible. The market is oversaturated with vans as it is. Use your class A to at least get into a straight truck, and give yourself a fighting chance.

KP.

New Recruit
Researching
Roadtime, beside being oversaturated can you provide any other details pros and cons? I've been researching this for months and would love to get on the road and do this. Messages like yours make me pause over and over again. I tried contacting Roadmaster in Millington, TN (I live in Chicago) never returns my call I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence going for my cdl if I can't get a return call from what is suppose to be one of two best CDL training companies. I'm also a female so Cargo Van is my first choice and straight truck which is number two is a much harder life style from what I've seen. All advise is appreciated. Thanks, Kathryn

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Roadtime, beside being oversaturated can you provide any other details pros and cons? I've been researching this for months and would love to get on the road and do this. Messages like yours make me pause over and over again. I tried contacting Roadmaster in Millington, TN (I live in Chicago) never returns my call I'm not sure I have a lot of confidence going for my cdl if I can't get a return call from what is suppose to be one of two best CDL training companies. I'm also a female so Cargo Van is my first choice and straight truck which is number two is a much harder life style from what I've seen. All advise is appreciated. Thanks, Kathryn

Maybe I misunderstood, Do you currently not have a CDL?

jrhoades

New Recruit
Researching
I have mine.
When first looking into expediting, I was looking into straight truck.
The only problem is not having another person to drive with.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have mine.

Ok, figured out my confusion. I didn't notice that post #1 & #3 are two different people

jrhoades

New Recruit
Researching
If you're willing to travel, there's a good school here in Nashville.
I think they even give you a place to stay.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have mine.

Ok, figured out my confusion. I didn't notice that post #1 & #3 are two different people

1349431952_einstein-duh.jpg

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
KP instead of going to roadmaster or another school. You might want to check some.of.the companies that.run their.owm schools. Like Schneider Swift CRST .Or Werner. They used to help you get your CDL at no cost if you worked for them for a set amount of time.. they might not be the greatest to work for but if you stick it out a year or so. It's better than shelling out 5 grand for a truck driving school. Just my opinion. Best of luck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't do it driving a van otr sucks
That's because you were a brash young man hell bent on taking the expedite world by storm. You went straight to the pinnacle of expediting, cargo van ownership. You took a shortcut and soon learned that you were unprepared for this lofty position and went to school for your Class A license. Today you are a content young man driving nice equipment, making good money and enjoying your job. In 15 or so years when you have mastered the tractor/trailer and built up a hefty bank account, you can once again move up to cargo van owner/operator. ;)

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That's because you were a brash young man hell bent on taking the expedite world by storm. You went straight to the pinnacle of expediting, cargo van ownership. You took a shortcut and soon learned that you were unprepared for this lofty position and went to school for your Class A license. Today you are a content young man driving nice equipment, making good money and enjoying your job. In 15 or so years when you have mastered the tractor/trailer and built up a hefty bank account, you can once again move up to cargo van owner/operator. ;)

Can confirm lol 1,000% correct

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any and all advice would be appreciated!
I'm completely new to this. I've driven a class A before but not a cargo van otr.

Having your CDL I would be looking for companies that do solo. They're out there. You just have to dig. Cargo van is so easy to get into that everyone is doing it. You've done the hard work to get your cdl do a little more and find that right solo spot!

TheCraftyTruckers

Reactions: RoadTime

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Talk to a buddy that did solo straight today, he said to call roadrunner see if they're looking. He drove for them not to long ago and really liked it there!!! Good luck

TheCraftyTruckers