Batteries Add 3rd battery?

Fox

Active Expediter
Researching
Hi,
I am new about truck. Our company has 2 Hino 268 trucks(2016/2019). We have liftgate attached, but the driver said if use too many times while engine stop, the battery drain too fast. I check the trucks, both has the empty 3rd battery space. I wonder could we buy a battery install in that space in parallel?
I check the label of battery, it's Exide Group 31S. But I can't find this model. Could we use different model/brand?

Thank you very much.

Fox

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes you could. Might have to replace other batteries as well. Its a good idea to replace all the batteries at one time.

Reactions: scottm4211

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Like Treadmill said yes you can. I would recommend it. Hino has a Tech tip on switching over from group 27's to group 31 type batteries. I have attached most of the info and part numbers. Any battery shop should be able to help you out, or you can go to the dealer and ask them for the parts or to install the extra batts for you. If you PM me your email I can send you the PDF of the tech tip with fancy pictures. I also recommend running the truck while operating the lift-gate whenever possible.
Beginning with the 2017 model year, Hino changed the standard battery from a group 27 to a group 31. In the event that a group 27 battery must be replaced, it is recommended to use the group 31 as the service replacement for 2014MY and newer units. PARTS: DETAILS: 1. Before the group 31 battery is installed, it is necessary to remove the battery box spacer as shown below. The spacer is secured to the battery box with 3 bolts. Discard the spacer and bolts after removal. Group: 0‐GENERAL Bulletin No: TT‐17‐005 Issue Date: 2‐14‐2017 Reference: HMM‐170214‐C1 Part Number Description Quantity SZ98055014 Terminal, Battery 4 or 6 (Depends on battery qty.) SZ98006092 Cap, battery cable terminal positive 2 or 3 (Depends on battery qty.) 82123E0400 Cable – Battery (Jumper) As needed

Reactions: greasytshirt

Fox

Active Expediter
Researching
So the 2016 truck we should replace exist 2 batteries with 3 Group 31, and the 2019 truck we can just add another one(If can't find the Exide 31S, other brand okey?). Is that correct?
Thank you very much.

Fox

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
If you brought the truck to my dealership yes that is how I would install them. Like I said most batt shops may be able to do it cheaper but when It comes to batteries id go for quality. I attached the PDF here and pm messaged it to you also. Let u know how it works out.

Attachments

• TT-17-005 Conventional Battery Service.pdf
    256.1 KB · Views: 12