Acceptance Rate and Fuzzy Math

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is the Acceptance Percentage based on 30 days? On 60 days? Fixed or rolling? More often than not, the math doesn't work out regardless of how you run the numbers. You accept a load, or refuse a load, and you watch your percentage do unexpected things. The math doesn't work out. So how is it actually calculated? I put in a call to Research via Driver Relations, and they called me back the next morning with the formula for how it is all calculated.

It is neither a 30-day or a 60-day rolling average, although it could be 60 or even 61 days, and it could be as few as 29 days.

It is calculated using all of the days in the current calendar month, plus all of the days in the previous calendar month.

The only time the average is calculated on 60 days (or 61) is on the first day of a month, before that day has been completed and is in the books. At all other times it is the previous month plus the days completed in the current month.

On March 1st, the first day of March won't be over with until after midnight, so you are dealing with all of February, which is 28 days, and all of January, which is 31 days, so when you look at your percentage as shown on March 1, it is calculated on 59 days.

On March 2nd, you have one full day completed in March, and 28 days for February, so your percentage is based on 29 days.

As of the time of this posting, on March 13, there have been 12 days of March and 28 days of February, for a total of 40 days. When using this formula for calculations, the math works out. Tomorrow, it will be calculated on 41 days. On April 1 there will be 59 days to figure, all of February and all of March. On April 2nd, all of February drops off and it will be calculated using all of March and the first day of April, which is 32 days.

It is calculated based on the number of loads offered versus the number that are accepted, which is not necessarily the same thing as loads offered minus loads refused. In most cases it is, but loads that are offered which are not responded to within the allowable time frame will also count as a load offered but not accepted, essentially counting against you in the same manner as a refusal.

Reduced rate loads and loads offered that pickup more than 8 hours in advance (more than 24 hours on weekends) do not count as a load offered, therefore a refusal will not count against you.

The Driver Web shows acceptance for the last 7, 14 and 30 days, which is great, but it does not show your current true Acceptance Rate that dispatch sees, the one that can be found on the Owner Web, the one that gets used, in part, to determine your board position. So, drivers who do not have access to the Owner Web should probably be aware of how the percentage is actually calculated.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The bottom line is that you MUST be good children and take all loads. Don't bring logic into this. Don't you know that the powers that be are trying to save their jobs? Have some compassion.

I doubt the Driver's council had anything to do with these new changes. You can contact them. Unlike anyone from the company, the council members are available on the drivers web. Send them a message.

Regards to all my friends
Road Hooligan

charlee

Seasoned Expediter
The bottom line is that you MUST be good children and take all loads. Don't bring logic into this. Don't you know that the powers that be are trying to save their jobs? Have some compassion.

I doubt the Driver's council had anything to do with these new changes. You can contact them. Unlike anyone from the company, the council members are available on the drivers web. Send them a message.

Regards to all my friends
Road Hooligan

Actually this was a direct result of the driver council and something they wanted to see in place.

-charlee

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Is it just me, or does the explanation of how it is figured sound like the tax code?
Take this month minus last Tues, add next Wed, divide by Monday a week ago...not counting this, but counting that....etc. Good Grief! There had to be an easier way!

Turtle brings up a point
The Driver Web shows acceptance for the last 7, 14 and 30 days, which is great, but it does not show your current true Acceptance Rate that dispatch sees, the one that can be found on the Owner Web, the one that gets used, in part, to determine your board position. So, drivers who do not have access to the Owner Web should probably be aware of how the percentage is actually calculated.
Does anyone know why it is different on the Drivers Web, vs the Owners Web? I think that's a question I will post to the Drivers Council. If "stats" are now a factor in Board Position, then drivers need ALL the information.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Is it just me, or does the explanation of how it is figured sound like the tax code?

Sorry, but I tried to explain it as simply as I could. Yeah, it would be easier to understand and explain if it were simply the last consecutive 30 days or the last consecutive 60 days, but they way it is calculated is still pretty simple. My problem with it was merely that the math wasn't working out properly. I turn down very few loads, actually, so none of this really affects me much. But it's simply a matter of wanting to know the rules of the game, since it's hard to play by the rules if you don't know what they are.

Knowing how it is calculated can make for some interesting decisions, particularly in the last days of one month, and the first few days of a new month. In the final week of a month you are dealing with a semi-rolling time frame of between 50-60 days, but as soon as the 2nd comes, it's slashed nearly in half.

Supposed you have been offered 4 loads per week in February, 16 loads, all of which you accepted, and then 4 per week in March, for another 16, totaling 32 loads for the 59 days. Let's say in the last couple of weeks in March you refused 5 loads for whatever reason, so your total loads offered would be 32 and your total acceptance would be 27, for an Acceptance Percentage of 84 percent. Looking good, right?

Now, April 2nd comes around, February falls off, and your 84% is suddenly slashed to 16 loads offered with 11 accepted, giving you a percentage of 69%. BAM!

The next load that comes along, crappy or not, if you accept it, your percentage jumps to 71%, but if you decline it, the percentage drops to 65% and puts you in the dog house, having accepted 11 of the last 17 loads offered. And you could theoretically stay in the dog house for 3-4 weeks until those 5 refusals back in March falls off when May finally comes around.

Like I said, it could make for some interesting decisions. Loads turned down at the end of a month might not be much of a hit to your current percentage, but as soon as the new month rolls around those refusals suddenly have much greater weight. That's why you'll sometimes see your percentage take a huge tumble with one or two refusals, and then sometimes take forever to climb back up. It's all in the numbers, 'cause the math works out.

But that's also why, I think, it's important for the Driver Web to contain the accurate current percentages that mean something, rather than the 7, 14 and 30 day rolling averages.

As Road Hooligan (who I was sure would personally get a kick out of this posting :) ) points out, if you don't know the rules and how the numbers are calculated, you will be shocked a couple of times by dramatic and unexpected variations in your percentage, and will be more likely to just start accepting all loads out of fear that your percentage will suddenly take a dive.

I don't for a minute think Panther is deliberately keeping the actual percentages away from the drivers, since it's freely available with a phone call to the owner or to Driver Relations or Dispatch. It's just bad Web design as much as anything, and should be able to be addressed and corrected in a matter of minutes (if they so choose). Up to now the true percentage of acceptance wasn't a a critical issue. Now it is. And because it is, everyone should know what it is.

If "stats" are now a factor in Board Position, then drivers need ALL the information.
Not only that, but...

"Board positions will be determined in part by acceptance rate."

What part? How much of a part? What else determines board positions if percentages are otherwise equal? Is Acceptance now the primary factor, closely followed by POD Time? I dunno. The computer will be determining board positions, not the dispatchers, so it should certainly be able to be quantified and communicated to the drivers and owners without much problem.

It's pretty much common knowledge that dispatchers will dispatch around someone with a lower Acceptance Rate on a time critical load offer, anyway, since they see no point in wasting time offering it to someone who is likely to say no. Putting Acceptance into the actual board positions merely formalizes the practice, and there's really no difference now than there was before. It's like on a time critical pickup, where whomever is closest to the freight will trump board position. I've been #9 on a board, but because I'm 12 miles from the pickup and everyone else is 40 miles away, I get the call on a load that picks up in 30 minutes. I've also been first out and because someone else was closer to the freight, they got the call. The loads have to be covered. That's the job.

There are two parts to these new rule changes, Acceptance being one of them, and the reduction from 15 minutes to 10 minutes for the time to accept or refuse. The Driver Council was neither blamed nor credited for the Acceptance Percentage being a part of the board position. The Fleet Message and e-mail credits the Driver Council for the time frame reduction, and says the Acceptance factor merely continues on in the theme of getting loads covered as fast as possible.

I find it very easy to believe that the Driver Council may have suggested to the reduction in time to accept or refuse, since most or all of the driver council is experienced and will generally know within minutes, of not seconds, whether or not they will accept a load. Generally speaking, 10 minutes is more than adequate for anything other than a very unusual load.

On the other hand, I find it very hard to believe that the Driver Council suggested that the Acceptance Percentage be used in part for board position, simply because that's not the kind of idea that would be a likely candidate to be suggested, approved, and then implemented and incorporated into the computer programming and dispatch system in such a short period of time. I mean, after all, the Macro 8 loads counts on the QC and the load counts on the Web still don't match up, and that's a quick and easy one to fix. More likely, the Acceptance Percentage is something they have been considering and working on for some time, perhaps several months.

In any case, I hope that those who read this will now know how the percentage is calculated, and I hope that Panther will put the current actual percentage on the Driver Web for those who do not have access to the Owner Web. The more information we have, the more better it is for everybody.

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As both a former council member and former Panther Partner, I can tell you that the council which ended it's term in December is not responsible. Now the new council only had one meeting. I would advise you to check with your council rep.

Don't believe everything that the guy who looks like IBM on the Mac commercials tells you
Road Hooligan

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Actually this was a direct result of the driver council and something they wanted to see in place.

-charlee

Actually you are WRONG we had a phone meeting about this issue 2 or 3 days before this was put out. It was the first time we heard about it we were only asked for input on how it would be received by the fleet. We all told them our thoughts on it and they implemented it. This was brought to us by Frank Ilacqua director general operations. Frank was looking at this as a way to reward for lack of a better word those drivers that are taking loads. But they get into an area where that one guy is cherry picking loads. We all know that guy/gal that sits there passing on load after load waiting for that one money load while you are sitting down below that driver. With that said you can still do that but you won’t be sitting on the top of the board while you are doing it. Frank came up with the number of 67% because it affects the least amount of trucks. Less than 80 trucks fall into the less than 67% list from the entire fleet of all types of trucks. So to set the record straight this was not a Driver Council driven issue. Jeff sent out the qc message but was not involved in the meeting that day and may have misunderstood when he sent the message to all trucks.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Frank and I have been emailing back and forth about the percentage being used. About how important it is that Panther monitors their dispatchers in regards to false refusals. That since they are tying it to the board position they must have some checks in place to ensure that the numbers are correct. Owners this means you must also check your stats when you turn a load down to make sure you were not hit with a refusal when it falls outside of the guide lines. Fleet owners you may want to have your drivers notify you when they say no to a load that is outside of the guide lines so that you can check for them. I have emailed Frank and Sean about the issue that the drivers cannot see their numbers in real time like we can on the owners web. I would think the i/t guys can fix that but I will not venture a time frame to get it done as I do not know their work load. The key to help make sure your numbers are right is to check and if you are hit with a refusal that wasn’t right
1 use the complaint form they do get read and it can show which dispatchers need more training. By just calling in they may or may not log it remember it’s not a perfect world. Be proactive
2 call in and get it fixed right away and have it removed
Frank and I have also talked about the time frame that it takes for you percentage to change. Right now when you are hit with a refusal you take the hit on the spot but when it is removed it takes 24 hrs to change back to what it was prior to the refusal. This needs to be in real time when it goes back because if you were sitting at 70% that one load may have dropped you down to 66% thus dropping you to the bottom of the board that you are on. I have been in contact with other Council members since the phone meeting and we are trying to cover all of the bases on this to protect as many trucks as possible. Again this was not our issue but we are working with Panther to make sure that their plan is implemented fairly. We are in the same boat as everyone else at Panther and we don’t want to take a hit unfairly any more than anyone else.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Turtle... I didn't mean that your explanation sounded like the tax code! I thought you did great with "explaining" the tax code. Sorry for the confusion. `

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
The only fair way I think this should have been implemented is the day this 67% thing started they should have let everybody start back over at 100% then work their way from there giving everybody the same amount to start with at the same time. My feeling as well as several drivers out here is this is nothing more than a forced dispatch. And how are we going to get things fixed if we are hit with refusals wrongly on the weekends when there's nobody there to help you? I'm sitting here in phoenix now getting bumped down down down the board because of loads showing as refusals that were not our rate, were on home time, and even 2 loads that we took are still counting as a refusal? How is this going to help us? And my other question is how in the world are you going to be able to get your percentage on this up when you keep gettinng bumped down the board and won't even get offered anything till they absolutely run out of other trucks? This is so totally not fair!!!!!

Last edited:

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Oh and I was told by friends on the current driver's council that this was a mutual decision by both the council and Panther!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
And how are we going to get things fixed if we are hit with refusals wrongly on the weekends when there's nobody there to help you?

But there are people in Driver Relations on the weekends, I just talked with them. It used to be they were there during the day and a few hours in the evening, but now (as of a couple or three weeks ago) one comes in at 7:30AM and another comes in at 6PM, with the 6PM shift ending at 4AM the next morning. So between 4AM and about 7:30 there won't be anyone there, but the rest of the time there should be. There is a third shift there overnight on a Friday night, so it's just overnight Saturday and Sunday where there will be 3½ hours of non-coverage between 4AM and 7:30 AM.

Also, since there will only be one in Driver Relations at a time on the weekends, if they take a break and step away from their desk for a few minutes, half an hour, whatever, they will have to log out of the system during that break. If you call while they are logged off, you may get the "We are unable to take your call at this time," recording, but if you call back hand an hour later you'll probably get someone.

I'm sitting here in phoenix now getting bumped down down down the board because of loads showing as refusals that were not our rate, were on home time, and even 2 loads that we took are still counting as a refusal?
That's precisely the kinds of refusals that Driver Relations can quickly and easily remove from your record with a 2 minute phone call. More than 8 hours in advance is another type. Others, they would likely have to be sent to Research for a determination.

And my other question is how in the world are you going to be able to get your percentage on this up when you keep gettinng bumped down the board and won't even get offered anything till they absolutely run out of other trucks?
You would have to deadhead to a less crowded, less competitive board. If you're under a 67% rating and are sitting in Chicago or Detroit, you're likely to be there for a while, because there will be a steady stream of new trucks coming in. Move to a board where there are fewer trucks to greatly increase your chance of getting a load offer. You may have to suck it up for a while and take loads that aren't exactly all cherry for a bit to get your percentages up. If helps if you fully understand how the percentages are calculated, too.

This is so totally not fair!!!!!
Oh, I dunno. Your load acceptance history is what it is. Can't really blame that on anyone else. This affects an astonishingly low number of drivers, actually, something less than 100.

But it is unfair that this was sprung on everyone with no notice. Everyone was tooling along playing by the rules, then the rules changed, retroactively, after the fact, effecting your game score. It's like city putting up a stop sign at an intersection on a Friday, and then giving someone a ticket for running it on Wednesday, two days earlier.

[soapdbox ON] It's like what the Hall of Fame did to Pete Rose, where they snuck in the Pete Rose Rule in the 5-year waiting period between retirement and HoF eligibility, where it says that if you're banned from baseball you are ineligible for the HoF, but when he was betting on baseball, and when he was banned, there was no such rule. If there was, he might have played their game differently knowing that what he did as a manager could have affected his HoF eligibility as a player. He was playing by their rules (albeit breaking another one to do it), and then the rules changed retroactively, after the fact. [soapbox OFF]

Oh and I was told by friends on the current driver's council that this was a mutual decision by both the council and Panther
Got any names of those Driver Council members you'd like to share? The reason I ask is, the Council doesn't have the authority to make such decisions. At most, they offered feedback and said they didn't see anything wrong with it. A mutual decision means that both parties must agree before the decision can be implemented, but the decision, I promise you, was a unilateral one made by Panther, and would have been implemented, just like all of their decisions, regardless of Council feedback.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well Turtle for one I have called all day today and am being told that nobody can fix the refual things for me till my normal driver relations person comes in on monday morning.
And yes the person I talked to on the drivers council is the one who has posted Ken Billings and they are friends and that is how he worded it to me. I see he has since sort of changed t hat wording on here though.lol

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Turtle gave a good explanation as to how their percentages are calculated. It really have been claculated that way for quite some time.
With regards to Bernieh's question, here is how they are now doing this. May change tomarrow, who knows.
When one now calls contractor relations to repair a refusal, they can fix it on the spot if they are obvious. If they aren't, they aren't removed right away, and they are sent to the research dept. They are only there during business hours. Another layer of madness that I personally don't see a need for.
The only other item is sitting in AZ on hometime for FL. You have what, a couple of loads a month that are going to FL from there? If a load comes up for VA, they aren't likely to send it to you because your screen will list FL unless you are the only truck. Lot of dispatchers only look at the state. Might be better off brokering something. Dispatcher might load around you as well because they are going to think that the hometime is just on there to avoid loads back to CA. We know there are plenty of those. Sometimes those actually work out pretty good.