AC problems

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, I am in AZ, it's HOT and my AC is out. :mad: I am talking about the truck AC not the APU.

I had it in a shop last week. They checked the freon levels and it was down. It was at 2.76 when 3.50 is required. I had them vacuum out the system, do a leak test and refill the system. It passed the leak test. They recharged the system and it performed perfectly.

Now it is acting up again. It runs fine if the outside air temp is under 85. Once it gets really hot out it shuts down.

Any clues as to what I need to look at next?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A new truck ? ;)
Shouldn't kid, probably not in good spirits. :(

That's OK, I need a laugh!

NO new truck. I have to many issues with all the new regulations, both federal and California's. I am rethinking my business plan. What would REALLY help would be for someone to buy me a winning lottery ticket, then I would not HAVE to work.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OK, I am in AZ, it's HOT and my AC is out. :mad: I am talking about the truck AC not the APU.

I had it in a shop last week. They checked the freon levels and it was down. It was at 2.76 when 3.50 is required. I had them vacuum out the system, do a leak test and refill the system. It passed the leak test. They recharged the system and it performed perfectly.

Now it is acting up again. It runs fine if the outside air temp is under 85. Once it gets really hot out it shuts down.

Any clues as to what I need to look at next?

Sounds to me like an evaporator switch. Is the dryer freezing up?

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I would check the electric fan that comes on to help cool the condenser. Also go to a car wash and clean out your radiator and condenser. I would check those things before I took back to the shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He'll be ok in Denver w/o it.
I can understand shops not being able to work on regen, etc. Hasn't AC been the same for the last 30 years ?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would check the electric fan that comes on to help cool the condenser. Also go to a car wash and clean out your radiator and condenser. I would check those things before I took back to the shop.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums mobile app

The fan is worked properly. We checked the radiator and condenser, they were clean. Had them washed anyway.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I never had any interest in learning A/C. I worked in a Ryder shop and I think we replaced the drier routinely anytime we opened up a system.
Isn't there a truck A/C only repair near the Flying J in Okie City ? A shop that does A/C only ought to be able to do it right.