A responsible gun owner......Not!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why would anyone defend that? It's no more defendable than Hillary. It's also no reason or excuse to penalize me or anyone else.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
C'mon! We need Major Parenting Classes!! Ongoing!! WTH!
Don't get me started...I'm supposed to be relaxing after a stressful work week!
That's just plain irresponsible Gun Ownership by 2 Adults who should have any firearm locked away safe n sound whether you have children or not but especially if you have children. My God People!!! Child endangerment plain and simple.
No, I don't buy anything else but both of them not knowing where their firearm is
and careless parenting. They are 100% accountable for their child's injury and I know what I would do about their particular situation and gun ownership for the sake of that child. Geezzz! The combination of a Deadly Weapon NOT in a Safe, and Children present ....who's had the training, who's the Adult, the Parent, the Conceal Carry Permit Holder(s)?? Poor child! I like the thumb print Safes myself.

Reactions: Ragman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OK all you "We don't need gun control" people......defend this....

While mom loads groceries, preschooler shoots himself
The world is a dangerous place. Life itself is dangerous. The kids learned a valuable lesson. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. People choke and die every day eating ham sandwiches, yet nobody is screaming for Ham Sandwich Control. People fall off ladders and die every day, yet nobody is calling for the elimination of ladders. The world is a dangerous place. Life itself is dangerous.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The world is a dangerous place. Life itself is dangerous. The kids learned a valuable lesson. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. People choke and die every day eating ham sandwiches, yet nobody is screaming for Ham Sandwich Control. People fall off ladders and die every day, yet nobody is calling for the elimination of ladders. The world is a dangerous place. Life itself is dangerous.
But Ken, don't you agree with Prevention, Preperation, Protection of Loved Ones, being responsible Parents.
It was a Gun.
Ya, stuff happens in Life....but this? This is truly careless when a child is present.

Reactions: Ragman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Reactions: vandriver2

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure what this has to do with gun control. If an irresponsible parent isn't paying attention to what their pre-schooler (4 or 5 yrs old) is doing, they can be drinking Drano or playing in traffic. Under the circumstances described in the article, the kid should have been in a car seat.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure what this has to do with gun control. I
Some people believe "gun control" should mean "no guns at all."

Interestingly enough, those same people aren't calling for an end of Draino, traffic, ladders, swimming pools, pencils, kitchen cutlery, paper clips and rubber bands, or ham sandwiches. And they could, really easily, as none of those are guaranteed by the Constitution.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Gun control" as defined by most liberals is a concerted effort by the govt to severely limit the ability of law abiding citizens to purchase or keep and bear arms, contrary to their constitutional rights. It has no effect on the usage and possession of firearms by criminals and homicidal maniacs.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I see what you did in post 8.

As to the incident, the kid got hold of in inanimate object that can be dangerous when improperly handled. More kids die from drowning. Where are you guys high on the gun control wagon for the swimming pool ban? Swimming pools aren't necessary and they're also not a right. Ban the things. Save all those kids from drowning. Right? Or just hypocrisy because you personally don't like or want a gun so nobody needs one or should be allowed to have one?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
"Gun control" as defined by most liberals is a concerted effort by the govt to severely limit the ability of law abiding citizens to purchase or keep and bear arms, contrary to their constitutional rights. It has no effect on the usage and possession of firearms by criminals and homicidal maniacs.

Hogwash. Gun control is government regulation, neither concerted nor "severely limiting". What effect it has [or might have] is unknown, which is why it is such a controversial subject. There's no definitive answer, because there's no research to provide facts. There's no research because of the Dickey amendment, which forbids federal funding of such research. The ban on research was extended to the CDC a few years ago, on the grounds that "guns are not a disease". That they are a clear and present threat to the health of the citizenry is apparently irrelevant, to some people.

There are a LOT of liberal minded people [like me] who strongly support the right to bear arms, and would fight to the last breath any effort to deny that right to "law abiding citizens". But I think those citizens should be required to demonstrate a knowledge of the weapons they wish to own, particularly from the standpoint of safe handling, storage, and transportation.
Also too, the "gun show loophole" and 'private sale' exception to background checks need to be remedied.
Beyond that, maybe some research would point to some good [or at least usable] answers to the problem of one deranged [or just seriously pissed off] person killing a lot of others, including children.
Why don't we want to know more?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I didn't know gun control prevent that.
Now you know.

People have a right to freedom of movement, for example. Every time the government restricts movement, whether by a little or by a lot, the right is infringed. The same is true for the right to practice, or not, any religion. The same is true for all inalienable rights. One of those is the right to keep and bear arms. Whenever government restricts or regulates that right, the right is infringed. Ironically, the Constitution absolutely guarantees the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.