~ A Public Apology ~

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
It appears to me from reading several posts that perhaps I have been a little too straightforward with my personal opinions of certain members of this forum. Since these comments have originated from more than two individuals, a correction on my part is warranted.

I did not intentionally set out to cast disparaging remarks toward them, and attempted on three different occasions to converse with one individual via email. I was basically told that my concerns for newbies thinking of entering this industry as an owner operator, were not the same as his, and that if someone failed, it was simply not his concern. These post were not meant to demean or undermine any individuals opinions or posts. They were simply meant to make those entering our industry aware that this is not the road to early retirement, and that the industry can and does destroy many who attempt to enter without some experience driving for others.

This led me into the obviously overzealous attempt to bring the experience levels of members into the topics of recent weeks.

My purpose has also been misconstrued by some into a belief that I and others do not value the input of newbies or wannabes.

This as well, was not my intent, and to any and all that have been offended by these assumptions I only ask you to read several posts where the author is a newbie, and has received accolades from those involved in the advancement of credential posting.

I also want to take this time to post my apologies to any and all that are obviously tired of this crusade. Again, understand that I have given credit where credit is due to the same individual that inspired (for lack of a better term) my apparently obsessive postings.

I have attempted an apology and extended and invitation to the person involved to meet in person to try to come to an understanding of the issues that I and others have with him.

I again extend the invitation to meet at MATS for this specific purpose.

To all others, please understand that I have not meant to offend any of you with this campaign, and sincerely apologize to every one of you that I have placed in this uncomfortable position.

You now have my word that I will not be the 'author' of any further posts regarding this individual. I will however continue to express my beliefs on the safer way to enter this industry.

Sincerely

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am sure your post is appreciated.
Let us all meet at the MATS show, shake hands, and have a good time.
Davekc
owner
20 years

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Tom, I know this is a very tough thing to write. You and I have had our turn at the whipping POST, :) no pun intended, ok, yes there was, but you have been supportive of me in a very tough period of time and I think that showed me that you have meant well. I know it is difficult for anyone with a lot of experience to set back and watch anyone do anything that appears to be done with closed eyes. I have been there in other parts of my business life and as a father. It takes a big man to say what you have said in this post and I give you high marks. Someone recently said to me "you and I take this site to seriously" although that was said to me in an email, I heard it as loudly as if he was talking to me. I think he may have been right in my case. Continued success and I do think where appropriate you should continue help guide others and I feel it is everyones responsibilty to tell folks when they are getting in over their head. I have had a big set back but plans remain the same, I just am starting over. I will be starting over with much of the advice I have gained from the very very experienced people on here. If I get to the show I plan to meet as many of these folks as possible.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Class act Tom (and didn't see the post). I will also offer my apology to Jaminjim - my last little snide remark was dispectful. Lawrence is on the mark.
O/O 5 yrs.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I recently (as of last night) enquired about the workshops EO is running in various cities. I was then openly invited to attend and speak at one of these future workshops, and I accepted the invitation, no further questions asked other than when and where.

I do not understand to any extent why the proclaimed professional Mr. Robertson has extended an invitation to speak with at MATS has not accepted it, only giving a response, "why?" Even after a public apology admitting he might be wrong in some respects, Mr. Robertson's invitation remains unanswered. Absolutely rediculous in the eyes of anyone who proclaims themself to be professional to not accept this invitation.

If clearing the air was honestly desired, the invitation would have been accepted, period, no doubt about it. Either way, it does not matter. One can make all the waves they want, but if they are not willing to take to their own surf, that tells me a lot about the individual in question.

-Weave-

blueeyes

Expert Expediter
Weave,
I read a post sometime in the last week where an explanation of why the meeting has not been accepted was made. I can't seem to find it now. It must have been deleted. Either that or I'm going senile... (entirely possible! :p )

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Weave, I too saw a note where he or she explained why it was not something that was of interest.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry, I was unable to be online last week. Must have missed it, but couldn't find it. Was it deleted? My apology too- must have been something very plausible.

-Weave-

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Thank you for posting this Tom. I hope it is a sign of good things to come here. I know you can be a big help to everyone here.

Dreamer

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I have just come off the road, A Public Apology, I had posted earlier on the subject of Individuals and neg. posts as to another members concern.
Tom thanks, your input is very valuable to me as an individual and I hope I can speak for others. Straight forward and I have said it to you in person, yes "you do take this site to serious" is that a bad thing? Like I also said you cannot save everyone from making bad business plans or no plans.
The success or failure in this business or any is planning. To not make a plan w/o a back up plan, is a plan to fail. We as the members of this site cannot be held accountable for the failure of others not to plan.
It sounds neat and exciting the posts listed here, what a great industry. But w/o that plan things will soon crumble around you. Glad I planed, sorry that the first did not work out but the second one is. Still every week is a new adventure and some are not so exciting to tackle. With sound advice and mentors such as you and Doc R, hardens the cement on the plans. Nothing like Expierence to guide a Newbee.

Kraig

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>
>If clearing the air was honestly desired, the invitation
>would have been accepted, period, no doubt about it. Either
>way, it does not matter. One can make all the waves they
>want, but if they are not willing to take to their own surf,
>that tells me a lot about the individual in question.
>
>-Weave-
>

I thought the EO community as a whole was trying to move away from talking about the personal and toward talking about the ideas and things associated with expediting. But, sadly, I see posts like Weave's - that read like a Hollywood gossip column - are still in play. Like the no-ethics photographers for the scandal sheet newspapers - the paparazzi - provocative, personality attacks are launched again and again, only to to feed the stream.

Such is the way of the low-credibliity publications you see at the grocery store checkout lines. I'd like to think EO is to the expediting industry as books and magazines are to libraries and upscale bookstores. I'd like to think that the EO forums are the place where intelligent and fair-minded people of all experience levels come to learn and contribute.

Sadly, such does not appear to be the case, at least in the current time frame. Weave's provocative message compells a response. Moderators, if you are going to allow his his low-grade personal insults to persist in the forums, you must - in fairness - allow my reply to persist as well. So here it goes:

First of all, I have no interest in meeting the gentleman in question. Our truck show dance card is already filled to overflowing. There are numerous people we are very much looking forward to meeting at the truck show and many appointments have been made. If he was an exhibitor at the truck show, we'd pass his booth by, not as an insult to him, but in the same way we'd pass by 990 of the 1,000 or so other booths. Other industry professionals - including some exhibitors - will be there that we are keen to meet and spend a good amount of time with.

At this point in our career, and as brand new owner/operators, our business needs have changed. The truck show is a fantastic event and if used wisely it can be a highly productive place to conduct research, renew professional contacts, and establish new ones. That's what brings us to the show this year. That's what we'll be busy doing.
We'll be there with our show floor map and appointment book in hand.

Second, the apology issued by the gentleman in question is not sincere. When someone "extends an olive branch" to me here on EO - as some have characterized it - and than at the same time bashes me over at the TruckNet forums, you don't get to stand with your crediblity incact...at least not in my eyes.

Third, Weave, you and some of your friends are now promoting/supporting a brand new web site - complete with forums - dedicated to expeiding. Instead of continuing to come over to EO with your paparazzi posts, it's time to go play in your own sandbox. At TruckNet and at your new site, you have been highly critical of EO's moderators and policies. A person that acted in accordance with his convictions, or at least in keeping with his expressed opinions, would not participate here.

By the way, I see some person or persons over there have registered as forum participants using the screen names ATeam and Jim Peters. It is well known that I, Phil Madsen, have been using those screen names here and in other Internet forums for over two years now. I have no idea why people on the new site see the need to use those names and I don't care.

I do wish to state here, for the record, that the ATeam and Jim Peters you see registered at that site are not me. I have not registered at that site under any name and do not intend to.

Again, Weave, it's time for you to go play in your new sandbox of choice, and to stop stinking up the EO forums with your ongoing personal attacks, that only serve to feed the stream.

Moderators, in the interests of fairness, kindly let this thread stand. In the interests of quality here at EO, please, in the future, take a firm stand against personal posts of any nature.

The quality of life in the EO forums will improve dramatically if the forums focus not on the people but on the ideas and things of expediting. Let's rise from the level of who's good and who's bad, to the level of what works and what doesn't.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
When your kids are fighting and yelling "She hit me", and "She hit me first", and etc. etc. etc. there comes a time when as a parent you tell them you don't care who hit who first, just go to your rooms, don't touch each other, don't look at each other, and don't talk to each other. It is now apparent, not used as a pun, that there are several parties in the same type of p-ssing match. Neither is going to change his/her minds. So, why doesn't everyone go to your rooms and let's let the forum return to what it is supposed to do, which is to educate and exchange useful information to expediters, or expeditors. If I wanted to hear bitching and name calling I can go home to my wife, three daughters, and a female cat. :+ :+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>When your kids are fighting and yelling "She hit me", and
>"She hit me first", and etc. etc. etc. there comes a time
>when as a parent you tell them you don't care who hit who
>first, just go to your rooms, don't touch each other, don't
>look at each other, and don't talk to each other. It is now
>apparent, not used as a pun, that there are several parties
>in the same type of p-ssing match. Neither is going to
>change his/her minds. So, why doesn't everyone go to your
>rooms and let's let the forum return to what it is supposed
>to do, which is to educate and exchange useful information
>to expediters, or expeditors. If I wanted to hear bitching
>and name calling I can go home to my wife, three daughters,
>and a female cat. :+ :+

Exactly!!!!

Which is why I say, the quality of life in the EO forums will improve dramatically if the forums focus not on the people but on the ideas and things of expediting. Let's rise from the level of who's good and who's bad, to the level of what works and what doesn't.

Meaningless quibbling occurs when people are talk about other people. Intelligent and respectful debate, and meaningful information excahnge occurs when people talk about things and ideas.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The Moderators of the forums on EO are all involved in the Expedite segment of the trucking industry, no more nor less than any of it's members. Our sole interest with EO, as I view it, is to participate in these forums for the purpose of information exchange. We give a little and in return we get a lot out of these exchanges.

Contrary to what seems to be a growing popular opinion, here and elsewhere, we moderators are not nazis, communists, Lawrence's stooges or hiding behind the curtain. We are simply members on an equal footing with all other members. But, in addition to that, we have volunteered to endeavor to keep posts "On Topic" and to diasallow obscene or vulgar language or negative comments about a persons character. We each try to do so in an unbiased manner.

This thread is now the catylist that prompts me offer a suggestion. Any member with a personal beef against another member's motive, credentials, experience or character could more appropriately voice their issues with that other member via E-Mail, Private Message, Phone Call or even Snail Mail. If you don't agree with me, E-Mail Lawrence and if the members wish, I will gladly step aside.

This last comment by A-Team is one that is typical of those that leave the Moderators in a quandry....Let the thread stand....or....remove it. Can't have it both ways

"Moderators, in the interests of fairness, kindly let this thread stand. In the interests of quality here at EO, please, in the future, take a firm stand against personal posts of any nature."

What say you, members? Do you want a site that condones the type of flame-fests seen elswhere or do you prefer a site that promotes the exchange of information related to expedite people, places and things and a place where the impugning of character is not allowed?

Most sincerely, Terry

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>What say you, members? Do you want a site that condones the
>type of flame-fests seen elswhere or do you prefer a site
>that promotes the exchange of information related to
>expedite people, places and things and a place where the
>impugning of character is not allowed?
>
If you delete this entire thread, it woulld be fine with me. I did not initiate it, only responded. The quality of life in EO would increase dramatically if ANY post that questions the character or motives or experience or whatever of another person - when such questions are clearly designed to put someone down - is immediately deleted.

EO is NOT a free speech site. Plenty of other Internet sites are, and every one of them gets dragged down by the personal bashing that goes on there. EO is a moderated web site. Moderators, be heavy handed. Be communistic. Be authoritarian. That's all fine with me. Just be fair too. If someone bashes someones else, give the victim the freedom to bash back. Or - and this is more preferable - delete immediately ANY post in which one person bashes another, whether the basher's target is named or not.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Terry,
This bashing back and forth serves no purpose at all except to take away from the merits of this forum.
These gentlemen need to settle their differences off forum so as not to ruin the flavor of this site.
So in the interest of the 2140+ active members can these few kindly take their differences elsewhere.
I also wouldn't mind seeing all past, current and future negative posts removed from this forum.
Thanks
JohnO

A wise person told me more than once:
"Holding a resentment against another person is the same as taking poison hoping it will effect the other person."