a load 1 post

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just red a post on the load 1 board from a driver. Said driver posted his story and consequential appreciation for everyone that supported his journey to come to his current place in life. I do not spend a bunch of time in the forums but do occasionally peruse the postings to glean information to try and put my wife and myself in a more informed position to make the best choices in our career. From the beginning I have always been impressed with the Load 1 model of doing business and have had them at the top of my list of companies I would like to run for when we buy our own truck. After seeing this post though, I am questioning this thought. It would seem to me that there are certain drivers that are privy to information about the team attitude of other drivers. This was evidenced by the posting of a fictional story that happened to follow a part of the original post to closely. this would not be info that any other driver should have access to. This appears to me to be an inside form of gossip. this is disturbing to me as someone that truly was appreciating the professional model that was being implemented. If this impression is wrong I would welcome a response that would explain how another driver was able to configure such a parallel fictitious story that so many others agree to.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm lost here. What exactly is your concern? And how did the fictional story follow the original post? :confused:

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
""I have been passed over several times for loads. Some i am aware of some i am not...ok....bummer. Perhaps when i take that shorty and the next guy gets texas it was purposefully plotted against me...wow...conspiricies galore. You see?...nothing good.''

Then a fictitious story posted? We love this business but have been doing it long enough now to realize that many companies even the bigger ones allow improper practices.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Sounds to me like someone who was sitting for a day or two letting their mind wander into PANIC MODE :eek:

LOL :D:p

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So from a post that stated "perhaps" and even added "conspiracy theory" you read that as gospel? Lol. Oh, and welcome to EO :p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think he is referring to a fictional story I made up..that paralled my former experiences....
There is no insider information....just past experience....that can happen at any carrier...

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Actually the OP is refering to the post "Load One, Greasing Wheels and a rock"! In the carrier forum.

At Load one, it is an open book. We can all talk to each other throughout the building. Some drivers take pickels, cheesecake, pizza or surprises to folks in dispatch, safety, shop or admin. All in fun and appreciation. There are some that have a different attitude to this type of behavior, but choose not to participate and think something is going on to show favoritism to those that wish to show graditude to those that we appreciate as a team.

The reality is, everyone is way to busy taking care of everyone to even single out anyone in particular.

Perhaps the small town charm is wearing off unfortunately because some are jealous of others success.

Please don't count out Load One because of a few posts compared to the multitudes of positive posts.

There is always that 10% that is never satisfied anywhere or with anything.

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The post and the "fictional story" or both based on experiences gained within the "industry", not just at Load 1...

Why the fictional story could be based on circumstance from Load 1 would be because we here art Load 1 talk to each other daily, we share where we are, how long we have been sitting where and what board position we are within a certain area...some of us also talk about family, financial and other personal issues, so figuring out that you were passed over for 1 reason or another isn't hard to do...are we passed over from time to time? Yeap, but I can personally attest to the fact that when it happens it isn't because of favortism or because dispatch has an issue with a driver...there is a reason that is made based on input from management...it is not just done to do it...

So with all of that being said, you basing your decision to rule out contracting with Load 1 based on that post, or anything else without considering all of the good "stuff" that goes on at Load 1 would be "Your Loss"...Is Load 1 for everyone?? Nope, but it works for more then it doesn't....

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I just red a post on the load 1 board from a driver. Said driver posted his story and consequential appreciation for everyone that supported his journey to come to his current place in life. I do not spend a bunch of time in the forums but do occasionally peruse the postings to glean information to try and put my wife and myself in a more informed position to make the best choices in our career. From the beginning I have always been impressed with the Load 1 model of doing business and have had them at the top of my list of companies I would like to run for when we buy our own truck. After seeing this post though, I am questioning this thought. It would seem to me that there are certain drivers that are privy to information about the team attitude of other drivers. This was evidenced by the posting of a fictional story that happened to follow a part of the original post to closely. this would not be info that any other driver should have access to. This appears to me to be an inside form of gossip. this is disturbing to me as someone that truly was appreciating the professional model that was being implemented. If this impression is wrong I would welcome a response that would explain how another driver was able to configure such a parallel fictitious story that so many others agree to.

It would be helpful to know your status whether you are currently driving or just looking into the expedite industry. If you are just planning on getting into expedite, you should drive for a fleet owner before buying your own truck. I say this for two reasons. You will be able to decide whether or not this is a lifestyle for you and gain the experience you need without risking your money. Second, it is difficult to get financing for a truck and get leased to a carrier if you don't have experience.

That said, the post you read is from a new owner/operator. I know because he drove for me and is buying the truck from me. It is a compilation of his experience in the expedite industry from beginning to present. He is learning things he was not aware of before now that he is operating as an owner instead of driver. When he mentions being passed over for loads, etc. He's referring to the term "First in First Out". It is a catchphrase used by most carriers in expedite. It means the truck that delivers it's load first will be the first truck dispatched out. It doesn't always happen that way since certain factors can change it. The biggest being location and time, next would be load size, etc.

Example: Truck A dropped his load 10 minutes before truck B. Truck A is #1, B is #2. Shipper calls dispatch. Needs load picked up ASAP, delivered direct. Truck A is 50 miles away, B is 5 miles away. Truck B will get the load so that the shipper's requirements are met. There are no hidden reasons, just business.

Example: He refers to "short runs" and "favorites". He means drivers that refuse shorter runs waiting for longer runs. He now understands that taking shorter runs shows dispatch that you are a dependable driver and can add up to equal a longer run profit wise. He now sees the larger picture.

Load 1 is a team operation, or community if you prefer, we have each others back. John Elliott, President, calls it a "transparent" company. I call it a platform to build on. John actually wants us to succeed, and he has our backs. Proof of that can be found on the pages of this forum. You will see questions raised or problems pointed out and you will see John address each one and post the outcome. You will also notice that John will post about problems he is dealing with that we may not even be aware of.

If you need any further info on Load 1 feel free to PM me. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. You could also PM John directly. He will answer. He always does.

Good Luck, and welcome to EO.

ACEofSpades

Seasoned Expediter
I have never understood why people freak out about being skipped a few times. There are many reasons a truck can be skipped. Team or solo, available hours, hazmat, lift gate, tag axle, proximity to shipper, home time requests, DOD clearance, first outs and many other reasons can cause a truck to be skipped. I have been 5th or 6th on the boards with Panther and gotten loads before others just because I carried a lot of straps, bars and blankets. It's not a conspiracy, there was a reason for it. As for Load 1, I'm trying to get on with them. I like what I have been reading and really like the attitude they seem to have.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know drivers talk to each other a lot it certainly doesn't need to be gossip or inside info. All drivers at all companies get ¨ passed over" from time to time.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really??? Now I'm wondering!!! Hmmm. Many things come into play including how drivers handle different loads. Some drivers can't handle longer distances as well as others. Some have requested to stay in a certain area. I get very few short runs. I go to the the terminal and see 4-5 vans waiting to get loaded, I just take what they asked me to take. You have to have some trust that they are doing things based on business requirements and past experiences with their drivers. Don't lose sleep over it, the next load may be the better one.