A little sanity, at long last!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh yeah, this is sane and guaranteed to turn out well. And the bridge is still for sale.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
The thing I don't get.. is that with tobacco, one of the other most popular 'recreational drugs', you don't get stoned... and with alcohol, another most popular 'recreational drug', you can have a little, and not become intoxicated.. whereas with marijuana, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that with just a little, you become stoned, don't you? Doesn't that make it different than the other 2 most popular recreational drugs? So then won't they have to change and make all new laws about how you can't be stoned in public, can't drive stoned, can't go to work stoned, etc etc etc? Although perhaps when the pot is 'legal' and has to be grown and manufactured under specific guidelines, it might become less intoxicating? So then there will be the legal kind and the bootleg kind? Sounds like it's going to be expensive to keep this under control?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The thing I don't get.. is that with tobacco, one of the other most popular 'recreational drugs', you don't get stoned... and with alcohol, another most popular 'recreational drug', you can have a little, and not become intoxicated.. whereas with marijuana, correct me if I'm mistaken, but it seems to me that with just a little, you become stoned, don't you? Doesn't that make it different than the other 2 most popular recreational drugs? So then won't they have to change and make all new laws about how you can't be stoned in public, can't drive stoned, can't go to work stoned, etc etc etc? Although perhaps when the pot is 'legal' and has to be grown and manufactured under specific guidelines, it might become less intoxicating? So then there will be the legal kind and the bootleg kind? Sounds like it's going to be expensive to keep this under control?

You can be a little high, you don't get baked with just a couple of drags off of a joint. Driving while high is already illegal so no new laws are needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
1273296248.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
As stupid as this sounds some may need to be reminded that although it is legal that will not matter when a driver is tested.

"I smoked legal stuff in Denver last week" will not get you off a failed drug test.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
10 things to know about Colorado's recreational marijuana shops - CNN.com

This will be very interesting to watch, over time. I bet the sky doesn't fall, lol.
MaryJane should be legalized at the federal level the same as tobacco. That way the mega-agribusiness corporations like ADM can take it on and receive govt subsidies to enhance production, just like tobacco. It could also be taxed like tobacco, to the benefit of local, state and federal treasuries in a time when all are desperate for more revenue. Keep in mind, this is not much different than alcoholic beverages - stoned or drunk, one is still impaired. Also keep in mind that tobacco - when used as it's intended to be - is highly likely to kill the user in a slow and painful manner.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
WTF? Equating harmless pot with alcohol and tobacco? Has your brain gone on vacation?

Pot definitely isn't harmless and regular use has many of the same problems that cigarettes and alcohol do including lung and brain problems. There are some studies that show marijuana causes drastically increased cases of lung cancer while others show little difference so the jury is out because it has not been studied much. Either way I and it appears most in this thread really don't care what damage one chooses to do to their lungs or brain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
P: you are perfectly correct in that last sentence. Some of us continue to smoke [just cigarettes, not marijuana] and we still read the posts we know are going to slaughter some brain cells.
Smart people do stupid things, that's a fact.
Since the government is going to make a few bucks on taxing [heavily] the recreational weed, I hope it turns out well. How many other groups are voluntarily paying high taxes? ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Comparing pot to cigarettes:

List of additives in cigarettes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

List of cigarette smoke carcinogens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The list of added carcinogens in (home grown) pot:

Ok, smoke itself isn't exactly healthy, but it's primarily the added junk in cigarettes that kills people.
I must once again congratulate you on your choice of screen name, as this post is the epitome of foolish. You connected the dots between cigarette additives approved by the FDA (not necessarily added by manufacturers, but approved to be added) to a list of carcinogens found in cigarette smoke, and came to the brilliant conclusion that all of those carcinogens were actually added to the tobacco by the manufacturers. Then, without providing a list of carcinogens found in pot smoke, you provide the list of added carcinogens in home grown pot. Brilliant again. It seems rather clear that you think pot smoke contains no carcinogens, and you think all the carcinogens found in cigarette smoke are added by the manufacturer.

Cigarette smoke contains more than 4000 identified chemicals, with 37 of them being known carcinogens. Wow that's a lot of chemicals and a really lot of carcinogens. Home grown pot smoke contain, uhm, yeah, more than 4000 identified chemicals, with 50 (37? no, 50) of them being known carcinogens. Pot smoke contains approximately 5 times the carbon monoxide, 4 times the tar, twice the amount of ammonia and hydrogen cyanide than is found in cigarette smoke. Pot also has 75% more benzanthracene and 50% more benzopyrene than cigarette smoke has in all forms of its benzene.

OMG! Pot contains ammonia, cyanide, benzene?!?! How did these carcinogens get into home grown pot? OMG!

They got in there the same way they got into tobacco smoke, and from the smoke of a wood fire, or a grass fire, or from burning leaves - from the chemical reactions of partially oxidized hydrocarbons created by burning the plant material.

Tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke are chemically very similar, as both contain the same cancer-causing compounds (carcinogens). Pot does contain THC and other cannabinoids, which lessens some of (not all of) the carcinogenic effects, and mitigates and/or suppresses certain cancers such as lung cancer, breast and prostate, leukemia and lymphoma, glioma, skin cancer, and pheochromocytoma. Nicotine and THC act on related pathways in the body, but they bind to different receptors to activate these pathways. For example, the cells of the lungs are lined with nicotine receptors but do not appear to contain receptors for THC, which explains why pot doesn't cause lung cancer the same way that tobacco does. But just as with any other drug there are side effects to its benefits, such as increased cellular damage of the lungs, increased cough, sputum production, airway inflammation, and wheeze. Chemicals in cannabis are also known to kill more brain cells and interrupt neurotransmitters in the brain. And if you smoke both cigarettes and pot, you're doubling down on the problems of cigarette smoke, as the medical benefits of pot are greatly reduced and the carcinogenic effects of cigarette smoke are increased.

But no, it's not primarily the "added junk" in cigarettes that kills people, it's the junk that's already found in the smoke of all biological plant material. Winston (also Russia's #1 selling brand, by far), American Spirit, Dunhill, Nat Sherman and several other US brands contain no additives whatsoever, and people smoking those die at the same rate as those who smoke Marlboro, Camel and Lucky Strikes.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ultimately, it makes very little difference whether the carcinogens are "added" or occur naturally ...
Personally I prefer my carcinogens to be naturally occurring. Naturally occurring carcinogens are like organic and produce a naturally occurring organic form of cancer. Organic cancer can be treated holistically with organically grown, medicinal marijuana and lava lamps.

Carcinogenic additives produce an unnatural, inorganic form of cancer. This form of cancer can only be treated with chemicals, radiation and factory grown medicinal marijuana. Factory grown marijuana is sprayed with Paraquat just before it reaches maturity. This speeds up the dying and drying process. Paraquat is a nasty herbicide and a Third World favorite for committing suicide. More potent and less expensive than drinking a couple gallons of Prestone.

Ah, the Paraquat Paradox. I think I'll get another bag of Cheetos and ponder this further. Anyone seen my lighter and hemostat?

emlm