A.I.G. insurance and workmans comp. insurance.

cas1

Expert Expediter
AIG is a occupational accident policy that protects you and your company in the event that you are injured in the course of your duties. Workers Comp does the same thing but is state funded. AIG is an affordable alternative to Workers comp in those states where invidules cannot purchase workers comp or cannot afford the premiums. When dealing with a occupational accident policy or workers comp you have to think beyond your home state. A call to your home state's workers comp may result in information that you do not need to carry workers comp as an induvidule. That may be true if you never left that state and were not associated with anyone else (the company you lease to). The rub is when you enter a state that does require protection. If you do not have a policy in place the state where your injury took place could come back to the company for damages. That is why some companies require workers comp or an Occ/Acc policy. Your companies Safety Department should be able to answer your questions.

vejhn

Expert Expediter
thanks for the input cas. now who is responsible to pay for this a.i.g. me or the guy i am driving for.

cas1

Expert Expediter
That depends on what you work out with the owner of the truck. If you are an independent contractor it would be negotiable. If you are an employee I would say that the employer is obligated. Just an opinion. Good Luck

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
NO MATTER WHICH WAY YOU GO, YOU ARE NOT AN EMPLOYEE, YOU ARE AN INDEPENTANT CONTRACTOR, AND YOUR WILL RECEIVE A 1099 MISC AT THE END OF THE YEAR IF YOU DRIVE AN OWNERS TRUCK. EITHER YOU OR HIM PAYS THE OCC. INS. DEPENDING ON THE AGREEMENT YOU HAVE, NORMAL PERCENTAGE IS AROUND 60% OF HIS NET, WHICH IS WHAT I PAY MY DRIVER. WHICH WORKS OUT TO APPROXIMATELY 35 CENTS A LOADED MILE AVERAGE. AND YOU PAY ALL EXPENSES INCLUDING OCC INS. TOLLS, FUEL, OWNER PAYS FOR MAINTAINCE, OIL CHANGES, TIRES, AND ANY OTHER REPAIRS. YOU MIGHT BE REQUIRED TO PAY UP FRONT A FEE FOR AND ACCIDENT IF YOU DAMAGE HIS VEHICLE, NORMALLY THAT WOULD BE HIS DEDUCTIABLE.

hOW THAT WORKS IS LIKE THIS

LETS SAY THE LOAD PAYS $1000.00
OWNER IS AT 60% OF THE LOAD WHICH IS $600.00 TO HIM
IN RETURN YOUR 60% WOULD BE $360.00
at 35% YOU ONLY MAKE $210.00.
IS HE PAYING 35 CENT PER MILE LOADED OR 35%
AND WHO PAYS FOR DEADHEAD.
IF HES PAYING ALL EXPENSES & ARE YOU PAID 35 CENTS PER MILE YOU SHOULD BE PAID FOR ALL MILES, THAT INCLUDES DEADHEAD. NOT JUST LOADED AND HE MUST GIVE YOU A W-2 AT THE END OF THE YEAR AND TAKE OUT WITHHOLDING TAX, SOCIAL SECURITY TAX, MEDICARE TAX. AS AN EMPLOYEE.
i WOULD TELL HIM GIVE ME 60-65% AND YOU WILL PAY ALL EXPENSES
EXCEPT TIRES, OIL CHANGES, REGULAR MAINTAINCE, BUT YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE VEHICLE AS IF YOU ARE LEASING IT FROM HIM..
ANY OTHER QUESTIONS DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK
FRANK