A chance to build a biz from the drivers perspective

RickG

Seasoned Expediter
I am an owner. I have just purchased a truck with all the toys...lift gate, apu, etc. I am looking for team drivers. This is your chance to help me establish a solid business plan from a drivers perspective. I have full dot regs and am ready to pull the trigger.

What should the compensation be?

I will give them 100% of the fsc.

Who pays tolls? Meals? Etc?

Who pays what ins?

Maintenance on the truck? I assume I will cause I own it.

What else am I missing? Thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rick,
not to bash you but all those things should have been done long before you even looked for a truck. Unless you are getting trucks for less than $10k each, it seems that you may be in trouble before you start. The ecomony may not be in good shape next year, this increase in work isn't because it is getting better but because there are two things going on, one businesses are trying to pad inventories for next year and there is a lack of trucks (which is a great thing) to move things.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/tax-topics-expediters/43169-60-40-40-60-a-new-post.html

Good, go through the list of extras the carrier offers and see what else you need to pass along.
All labor intense activities should be - pallet jack, inside delivery, etc.. should be also 100%

Tolls, who knows - I have the company pay all tolls on the trucks I manager with ezpass.

Meals?

Are you having employees or contractors?

If you don't know the difference, ask your accountant.

Who pays what ins?

DO you know which insurance you need?

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I am an owner. I have just purchased a truck with all the toys...lift gate, apu, etc. I am looking for team drivers. This is your chance to help me establish a solid business plan from a drivers perspective. I have full dot regs and am ready to pull the trigger.

Who pays what ins?

Maintenance on the truck? I assume I will cause I own it.

What else am I missing? Thanks

Is this a symantical exercise or did you really go to all that expense without determining all the above?

RickG

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry, i should have been clearer, I haven't done a thing yet. I already own three strait trucks with day cabs that do intrastate delivers in Fl. I have a 10,000 sq ft warehouse that we offer storage and cross dock. I would like to get into expediting but I just can't get my head around the subcontractor thing. All my guys are full time employees and are paid hourly. I am honest a fair and want to set this 'division' if you will, up right.

I talk to regular freight drivers that deliver to my warehouse and most are paid by the load. They only pay for their truck INS. And I think the company they pull for pays liability and cargo, but I don't know. Just hoping that someone could shed some light and tell me what, as a new owner, I should set up. Thx

moose

Veteran Expediter
Hey Rick ,i will TRY to ...
first you will have to set up you goals .why are you doing this ,and what it is that you try to accomplish .
then you will have to get yourself familiar with the Expedite nitch of transportation .we normally advised experience truckers ,or previously small business owners to read this forums and archives at least a year back .(this dose not meant to say that you need to read every post ,but to spend a lot of time researching words of interests ) .then DRIVE FOR AN OWNER FIRST ! sorry no way around it ,(if you can't drive it yourself ,get someone you trusts to do it for you).
then you will have to understand how expedite works .get familiar with basic terms ,like freight lines ,DH% ,cost averaging a load ,relocation ,none directional industry ,and so many more .
lastly ,the 1st items on every driver mind is where to go to get freight to be placed on the truck .or in other words ,hoe is YOUR costumer .and what will be the best tool to serve his everyday needs.
remember ,expedite is NOT trucking ,it is a business first .
many of us ,my self included ,can shoot you a ready to sign contract ...but we won't ,at least not the responsible ones .it will be like setting you up to fail...sorry.
the good news is that you came across the best place to ask questions ,this is the Expedite information Interstate ,and it is rush hours year round .
good luck to you in your new venture ,and please don't be a stranger .
Moose.
Seattle .

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with the others. I would really learn and understand this specific segment of the transportation industry before making any kind of investment in it.
It is not the same as the state wide courier business.
EO is a great resource to gain some of that necessary knowledge.
Good luck, and take your time before jumping.