70/30 split?

smokie409

Seasoned Expediter
I will be driving a company van and if the owner gets 70% and I get 30% and he is paying for fuel, tolls, maintenance etc. and I will be paying $50.00 a month for satellite, how good of a deal is this?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Not to bad of a deal. Which company will you be driving with?

Most owners who pay for fuel give the driver 40% from what I have gathered. But 30% should work out pretty good im sure.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I would say if your getting $1.00 a mile that is not to bad. Most vans get .77 a mile plus FSC, so that works out to be .231 cpm. Which means you would have to run 3000 loaded miles a week to make $693.00 a week. Why would you pay for the QC/Clink that is part of doing business? We don't charge our contractors for that. I just don't see a van getting 3000 loaded miles every week running solo.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's not a good deal in my opinion. If you have read back at least two years in the general, newbies and recruiter sections you should have seen many threads talking about 60/40 splits. That is the most common it seems. The 60% side gets all the fsc money and pays the fuel. Other factors are up to the parties. I wouldn't pay anything other than my own occ/acc insurance and tolls at most if I was driving for someone.

Now, I guess it could be argued that in this economy any job is better than no job but then again if 9 guys have the job and get 40% I wouldn't want to be the tenth guy and get only 30%.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It's not a good deal in my opinion. If you have read back at least two years in the general, newbies and recruiter sections you should have seen many threads talking about 60/40 splits. That is the most common it seems. The 60% side gets all the fsc money and pays the fuel. Other factors are up to the parties. I wouldn't pay anything other than my own occ/acc insurance and tolls at most if I was driving for someone.

Now, I guess it could be argued that in this economy any job is better than no job but then again if 9 guys have the job and get 40% I wouldn't want to be the tenth guy and get only 30%.

But Leo, how would you feel if you'd been with a Company for 10 years, and were making 40%, and they started a complete newb at the same rate??

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess that would depend on the company, the job and the circumstances but it doesn't have any bearing on the OP's inquiry.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
30%? of a dollar a mile, which is probably high. Round it off to .30 cents. 1200 miles a week average, if he's lucky. $400.00 for a 7 day week plus his expenses. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.:rolleyes: If it was $400.00 for a 40 hour week with in walking distance of his domicile, probably yes.

Last edited:

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
Why do you not take 60% and pay the gas and keep the FS and he 40% and pay for the satellite?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
But Leo, how would you feel if you'd been with a Company for 10 years, and were making 40%, and they started a complete newb at the same rate??

my first driving job was in 1977,I was with a union carrier,my pay was the exact same as someone that had been there 10 years.THis trucking,it's the only industry you can actually start at the top,if you can finsd some one to pay the bill.30% of van rate and him paying for the QC really sucks.First off,a van doesn't make that much in the first place.Most vans are averaging less than 100000 year,he'd be making 30k year,he can flip burgers for that and sleep in his own bed every night

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
my first driving job was in 1977,I was with a union carrier,my pay was the exact same as someone that had been there 10 years.THis trucking,it's the only industry you can actually start at the top,if you can finsd some one to pay the bill.30% of van rate and him paying for the QC really sucks.First off,a van doesn't make that much in the first place.Most vans are averaging less than 100000 year,he'd be making 30k year,he can flip burgers for that and sleep in his own bed every night

Oh I know. And that was Union bs dreampt up. How'd that work out for us??