7 SPEED SPICER

G

I have read many times on this site the horror stories of the SPICER 7 SPEED TRANS. Having the Spicer in my truck, I thought well I'll baby it, in hopes that I will not have any problems with it... WRONG!!! I loaded on Friday got 10 miles from the shipper and with any previous problems or warnings, it took a crap. Only to leave me sitting along side the road with a very good paying load, that now I could not run. A $275.00 tow bill to the closest Dealership I could find that could even say they could take a look at it possibly on Monday, And possibly have it back up and running by Thursday if all goes well with getting the parts, or a replacement trans. Think twice before you buy a trk with a spicer 7, The stories you heard are true. It is a piece of crap!! I plan on calling Spicer tommorrow, to see if they will pay the hook bill. Has anyone out there that had the Spicer 7 problem, tried to get there hook bill covered by spicer? And how did you make out? I'd really appreciatte your comments. And I will let you know how I make out with Spicer... Something really needs to be done with this problem. To many expeditor's are losing alot of money with this trans problem... It's time its put to a end... I assure you I will put forth all my efforts on everyone behalf, who has the Spicer7 to put this problem to a end once a for all. They know they have a junk product. Yet there isn't any recalls on it or anything else. Sorry for being so long winded, But I am really ticked off over this whole situation. Its costing us all to much money in down time... It's time we stand up to them!!! First-Out on my couch....

G

ya i know, we were on a 2500 mile run mon. nite, got 500 miles into it and whamo! all hell broke loose. it looks a though it will be wed or thur of next week before we get out of here. 10 down time, 10 days motel & food, $3050 run lost. don't know what can be done. any suggestions would be helpful. looks like repairs are fully covered but what about the rest. beware of spicer trannies!!

G

Yes lost mine in Sept...Took 13 days at Virginia Beach Frieghtliner to get going again..warranty covered all exept 13 days down!.. NEVER will i go to Virginia beach f/l again!!

G

I appreciate everyones reply. If you had a problem with the Spicer 7. Please let me know.... I am going to lay it out on someone at Spicer in the a.m. This trans problem has to come to a end once and for all. I promise you I will try my best to get to the bottom of this. Spicer knows they have a problem. It's time they resolve it. Yes, they can keep replacing your trans each time it takes a crap. But that isn't resolving the problem. I'll let ya'all know how I make out tommorrow...

G

I just got rid of a 99 FL70 with the Spicer 7 speed. The tranny was replaced twice in an 18 month period. Even the new replacements would jump out of gear every few minutes before ultimately failing completely. Lost more than 60 days down time in 99 due to this junk. And no, I could never get Spicer or FL to cover the tow. In fact, the first time the tranny failed, I had to pay 1/4 the cost of replacement. They argued that it was not their fault. However, by the time this one failed again, they had so many problems on file, they didn't argue with me. I notified OOIDA, the government's
highway safety agency and others of this problem. I will help you anyway I can in your effort to go after Spicer. We need a class action law suit to re-cover some lost revenue. Let me know if I can help. Be advised that Spicer has changed the name of the tranny now.

G

mine went out 20 days after warrenty was up. called spicer and guy
was real nice, said that they would "probably" stil cover most of replacment cost. ya right!!! they ended up covering $1200 of the $5000. not counting down time and driver exp for 7 days. Far as i'm
concerened SPICER's ARE JUNK

G

Thanks to all who keep replying... I got a little good news today. My truck should be done on Wed.. However on the downside I talked to everyone and there brother at Freightliner and Spicer as well. No one wants to reimburse my tow bill. Also they deny that there is a problem with the Spicer 7. What a bunch of crap!!! I filed a complaint with the NHSA about Spicers junk trans and pleaded with them that something must be done. But I am not done yet. I searched back further on this and found another long list on the Spicer 7. I intend to print out both and find a attorney who wants to take this case. And hopefully put and end to this problem once and for all... Thanks!!!!

G

Sorry to hear about everyones bad luck. It's hard to know everything about truck specs when there is so much variety out there. The best way to seek justice or revenge on this manufacturer is to spread the word about their terrible product and lack of support. It would be nice to know what the new name they plan on taking, so everyone can be warned. O/O's cant afford to take a large hit like this and be profitable.

G

Got some good news today, dealership got trans and truck will be done in the a.m. If anyone is ever in need of a good FL dealership. HANS FL in Cleveland, are some real good people. I had my truck towed in friday evening and they will have done in a.m. They stick to their word when they say your trck will be done. Unlike half the other dealers you go to. Anyway I got everthing printed out on the problems with the Spicer 7 that everyone has had. I am going to fax it to everyone I can think of that may be able to help us solve this trans nightmare. Well off to Cleveland to pick up my truck. Cross yor fingers maybe it will last a week before it takes a crap again!!!

G

Out of 4 FL-70's we had to replace 4 Spicer Trannys. One of those trucks had to have two trannys replaced. Two of the trucks were less than 1 year old and one truck we had had 13 months. Each time we took the truck in for the tranny slipping out of gear or only running on 2 gears. Two of those times they "adjusted the clutch" and called it good only to go 50 miles down the road and, just like most, find the truck down on the side of the road.

Each time the truck was down no less than 7 days, each time the truck was under load and the load had to be transferred. Between lost revenue, paid layover to drivers, transportation home or motel rooms we are out more than $15-20,000.

We contacted OOIDA and reported the problems. We also reported the problem to the NHSA. Mr. Gary Green, from OOIDA, contact us and request more specific information, which was supplied to him. OOIDA is investigating this. The more who report their problems with the Spicer 7 Speed Transmission, the better chances are we will recoop some of our losses.

G

The owner I drive for had 2 FL70's go down in the space of 2 weeks with Spicer transmissions, then this week, with a new team in his 3rd FL70 <poof> the Spicer goes. To make a bad thing worse, it took him forever to get the parts and have the darn things fixed! How about a petition drive - I am sure that if we started to sign names of truck onwers that have lost money due to this problem and submit to OOIDA, Spicer, Freightliner, newspapers etc maybe we could shake things up. I know we couldn't do it on the internet due to verification, but how about putting the petitions in the drivers area of the major companies, or the dealerships that sold the trucks, heck even centralized truck stops would work. Just some ideas, hope it helps.

G

I understand the new name is Trans Tech. Junk by any other name is still junk. I contacted OOIDA long ago and hopefully they will at least help spread the word about this tranny. We need to band together and go after them with a class action lawsuit.

G

I talked to my International dealer.Their spicers are not the same as Freightliner's.I was also told by Spicer rep the same thing.
By all means check this out for sure.Spicer builds to INTernational specs.

tennessee

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well, I'm in the same boat with the rest of you with my FL 70. My spicer 7 speed went out at 150,000 miles and was replaced with a rebuilt spicer 7 speed. I look for it to go anytime as it sounds like it has loose marbles in it. I got nowhere after calling spicer. I asked if there was an plans to recall this transmission and was told "there is nothing wrong with the transmisson, the problem is in the application". The only way this can be solved is with a class action lawsuit. That is the only thing that will get there attention. Can't they be sued for misrepresentation? Please keep posting any info on this matter. Has anyone talked to a lawyer about this?

Retread

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tennessee, Gary Green at OOIDA is still looking for ANYONE having problems with their Spicer Tranny's:

<<We contacted OOIDA and reported the problems. We also reported the problem to the NHSA. Mr. Gary Green, from OOIDA, contact us and request more specific information, which was supplied to him. OOIDA is investigating this. The more who report their problems with the Spicer 7 Speed Transmission, the better chances are we will recoop some of our losses.>>

Call: 1-800-444-5791, ask for Gary Green in the Legal Dept. Also, here's the website: http://www.ooida.com/

G

Well guys, you can add me to the list of folks who have suffered some down time due to a 7 speed spicer. Go figure it would be in the middle of the busiest time of the year. Couldn't have waited another 3 weeks and gone down over shutdown ya know. I lost 6th gear on my way to my pickup just outside Columbus, OH and nursed it to the delivery in Romulus. Luckily the Motor City is home for me and I was planning on coming home for the weekend anyway. Got to exit to get off and deliver my freight and couldn't get the truck out of 7th gear. Had to shut it down on the exit ramp completely before I could get it out of 7th. Delivered the freight and got the truck out to Wolverine east Freightliner (Mt. Clemens) using 1st through 5th only. Had my wife pick me up there and take me home. Craig at Wolverine East says he'll have me back in the street Wednsday noon (We'll see). He says that they've had so many problems with the spicer 7 that they are just replacing them and not trying to repair them. Everything will be covered by warranty, and I didn't lose the load that I had on, or suffer a tow bill, so I guess it could have been worse. Sure hate to lose the three days that it's going to take to get it fixed though that's for sure. I'll let you know how it turns out. Interested in knowing if anyone has actually recouped downtime from these folks.

G

Well guys, you can add me to the list of folks who have suffered some down time due to a 7 speed spicer. Go figure it would be in the middle of the busiest time of the year. Couldn't have waited another 3 weeks and gone down over shutdown ya know. I lost 6th gear on my way to my pickup just outside Columbus, OH and nursed it to the delivery in Romulus. Luckily the Motor City is home for me and I was planning on coming home for the weekend anyway. Got to exit to get off and deliver my freight and couldn't get the truck out of 7th gear. Had to shut it down on the exit ramp completely before I could get it out of 7th. Delivered the freight and got the truck out to Wolverine east Freightliner (Mt. Clemens) using 1st through 5th only. Had my wife pick me up there and take me home. Craig at Wolverine East says he'll have me back in the street Wednsday noon (We'll see). He says that they've had so many problems with the spicer 7 that they are just replacing them and not trying to repair them. Everything will be covered by warranty, and I didn't lose the load that I had on, or suffer a tow bill, so I guess it could have been worse. Sure hate to lose the three days that it's going to take to get it fixed though that's for sure. I'll let you know how it turns out. Interested in knowing if anyone has actually recouped downtime from these folks.

Retread

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"Has anyone else recooped anything for downtime?"

Not one red cent either from Spicer or Freightliner. Of course I am waiting for them to volunteer to do just that....in my dreams. OOIDA is taking stock of these horror stories, the more the merrier. So add your's to the list. Once they get enough they will have the ammunition to take action, until then we are on our own.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Had my Spicer repaired for jumping out of 6th gear. A couple of weeks later it started jumping out of 7th gear. Had it rebuilt, and have had no problems for the last 50,000+ miles.