60/40 or 40/60 Split Pros and Cons

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lots of variables, what kind of vehicle, does the company pay good Fsc, deadhead, relocation?

Hansen Josif

Rookie Expediter
Driver
From what I heard from another drivers it's not bad you need to no good boards when you will get in a bonus etc

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
The carrier is FedEx CC. There are bonuses at points for revenue generated over a certain amount each month and so forth.

The trucks are all Freightliner Cascadias, auto tranny, three years old or newer. Per conversation, trucks are rotated every three years.

With the gap in my drive history I am wondering if I should take what I can get if FedEx is willing to sign us up.

Thoughts?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The carrier is FedEx CC. There are bonuses at points for revenue generated over a certain amount each month and so forth.

The trucks are all Freightliner Cascadias, auto tranny, three years old or newer. Per conversation, trucks are rotated every three years.

With the gap in my drive history I am wondering if I should take what I can get if FedEx is willing to sign us up.

Thoughts?
I'm confused... (easy to do, just ask my wife)....

If your looking to sign on with the Fed, why be concerned with 60/40 or 40/60?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I suggested to the OP to start this thread. He is looking to work for a fleet owner with trucks leased to FedEx. I was hoping some members that have, as drivers, done a 60/40 split or a 40/60 split and explain the pros and cons. Also if some fleet owners would chime in. Dave, Leo, others?

I've never worked for a fleet owner so I never did a split. It seems the 60/40 is the most common and probably is best for both the driver and the owner, provided the driver is a conscientious business person.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you have no experience go 40/60. If you have experience and knowledge of where to buy fuel at the best prices using the discount program and can control your fuel costs you'll generally do better on the 60/40.
At least that was my experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using EO Forums mobile app

mforrester62

New Recruit
Driver
jjoerger, that makes a lot of sense to me.

In the beginning, not knowing where to by fuel at the best prices would definitely end up costing more and FSC would end up out the window... and all that paperwork just to say I am on a 60/40 rather than a 40/60 would be kind of redundant. The learning curve, for me, is not a bad thing.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice and opinions, I truly need to hear from everyone with experience. Good or bad!

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm in a van, but wouldn't the driver want the 60% just to have the fuel write-off to use when they file their tax return?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Not really. That 20 percent gets eaten up quickly and a driver can waste a lot of fuel.
A 40/60 driver still gets all the other write offs. Per diem is the big one for them. Remember, it's not always about what you make. It's about what you keep.
Once someone learns where to buy fuel and how to conserve it the 60/40 would be the way to go.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
A tip for solo straight truck drivers. Unless you enjoy paying out of pocket for showers buy your fuel 50 gallons at a time. Don't fill er up unless you have a long run or are getting a great price.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As mentioned, knowing where and when to buy fuel is a major factor. The price of the fuel is not the same as the cost of the fuel in a truck the size of a Cascadia. IFTA has to be figured in for whoever is paying the fuel tax. I wrote an article explaining this that used to be pinned. I'm not sure where it's gone now. My quarterly IFTA bills were like $7.43, $3.82 etc. while most people I know were getting bills in the $1xx-2xx and as high as $4xx.

Another good point is buying fuel 50 gallons at a time as a solo so you get more shower credits.

Once you know where and when to buy fuel, the 60% side is probably your friend, if you are a good driver for MPG. If you are content to run 62-64mph even when it's posted 70 or more and if you follow 15-20 car lengths behind not 15-20 feet behind you're a good 60% candidate.

If the truck owner is agreeable to let you remove the visor above the windshield and install the mudflaps that are slotted you'll gain about 1/2mpg which is a major improvement. Keep the tires fully inflated. Believe it or not, keep the bugs washed off and get a full truck wash as often as the owner will buy one for you. It may only make a tenth of a mpg difference but that can be 200 gallons of fuel per year.

Keep good records of where you buy fuel, the weather and road conditions of your trip, date, cost, personal notes and before long you'll have an excellent journal and be ahead of almost everyone else on the road in wise fuel buying. Good luck.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Last edited:
Reactions: TeamHutch

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are a few numbers that are incorrect. I changed one place and didn't get another. It's too long ago to edit now. But the principle is sound. There can be a lot of savings when buying fuel based on cost and not just price.

TeamHutch

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
60% to driver hand down. You will make more. No variables about it! Only way you would not make more is if the truck got 6mpg. Learning to maximize the earning is the key.

Worst I've heard trucks getting these days is 8.5 to 9mpg