50% done with building cargovan sleeper

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first van I built the bed directly behind the seats and put up a bulkhead. That lasted about 2 weeks. I removed the bulkhead and bed and started over. I made an insulated split bulkhead with a crawl through directly behind the seats and attached the bed to the bulkhead. I prefer having the whole cargo area as a living space when not loaded, especially in the summer.
Crawlthroughbulkhead.jpg

100IMAGE-0019_IMG.jpg

Last edited:

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Moot thats a tight setup i bet in the summer the bigger space is much more comfortable. Dennis thanks for the link and i should have enough room.i made the space foe the bed so it will be just big eniugh to lay cimfortable. Its hard decision on do i get more cargo or more comfort..today i finished the insulation and completely seald off the cargo from living quarters.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Completely sealed off and insulated.. shew i need a nap lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1322606082589.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322606082589.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 107

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
mxzane wrote:

and i should have enough room.

I'd have thought one would have measured that to be sure before making that wall "fixed" in position.... Chances are you will need 106 inch of 2 48x52 auto bids....depending on where your ratchet strap handles are....

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
I have 103.5 inches everyone told me have atleast 8 ft i hope i didnt@#$&up

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
103 inches will get you 2 48x48 skids, but alot of auto bids are 48x52...so with 2 of those you will need 104 just for the bids..and then with blocking bars and straps to properly secure the freight you will need and extra 2 inches minimum and maybe 4 inches.....

So yea you will be ok with "alot" of freight, but not all...and the best way to make money in this business to to be available to the most freight that you can be......

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why worry about the first bin?....just lock it in with the second one...it won't go anywhere when it is snug to the wall...just saying...I could of sworn most bins are the 45x48 type...

Monty

Expert Expediter
and the best way to make money in this business to to be available to the most freight that you can be......

Or .. don't make automotive your primary business model! :D

Oh, did I tell you I liike Landstar!

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Can always maka quick adjustment aka crowbar with a little sledge on the side

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Most of them bids are turnable, so as long as he has 52" in between the wheel wells he should be good. Also notanewbie stated don't make automotive your primary!! He is correct!!! You will have a lot less headaches and you should make more. I gave up the big 3 over 3 years ago and have not been in another auto plant since June of 2010 (except Paccar in QC. which I go to quite often) and looked for other types of freight, not just expedited. There is plenty of "other" freight if you are with the right carriers or ya know where to look :cool:

What kind of van do ya have?? I have a 06 3500 ext Chevy and have a fixed 24" bunk and 108" of floor space. I would think 24" would be enough of a bed for most of us. Even us LARGE folks :D

mxzane933

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the input. I was wondering bout the flip option. Should work fine have a 07 chev xtnd also. What type of bed did you make.

60MPH

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the input. I was wondering bout the flip option. Should work fine have a 07 chev xtnd also. What type of bed did you make.

Sealed bulk head right where the side doors split. I used plywood for the wall and used a 24" pc of plywood about 18" from the floor bolted to the bulkhead and had the mattress custom made. It is a 66" x 24" x 6" and it has worked well. I also used 2x4's to support the bed plywood to the wall, it is very sturdy. When I had this built I was much larger than I am now and it worked out really good. Finished it with 1/2 foam on the walls and ceiling and then covered that with silver stuff and then automotive carpet, the kind that they use on speaker boxes. Hopes this helps

guido4475

Not a Member
It didnt work for me, and my fat butt...never had a decent night's sleep in the old van, but now, I sleep the best ever in the newer Spartan body van...completely stretched out sideways...perfect!!!