4cycle vs V6

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i have two sprinters I'm looking at and one is a V6 and the other is a 4 cycle. Anybody have the cons and pros of the two

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
i have two sprinters I'm looking at and one is a V6 and the other is a 4 cycle. Anybody have the cons and pros of the two
Both of them are 4-stroke cycle engines. One is 4 cylinders and one is 6.

I would definitely go with the 4. The 7 speed transmission that is only available on the 4 cylinder engine is a sweet transmission. As a bonus you get better fuel mileage.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've talked to a Sprinter sales manager and he told me that he has seen less trouble with the 4 cylinder engine. There's a driver that I know thats got a 2014 4 cylinder and it's sitting in his driveway. Alot of problems with it. Also, not long after he had it the alternator went out and had to have it order by the dealership. I think it cost him $1700 to $1900. I wouldn't get a 2014. Maybe a 2016 to 2017.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm looking at either he 2015 or 2016 depending on price. I have a 4 cylinder one now but I was wondering if I should maybe go with the 6 now. Thanks for your input guys

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Do more research and ask around. Talk to dealership and service department as well. Take your time.

Perioodic

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do more research and ask around. Talk to dealership and service department as well. Take your time.

Well honestly I like the 4 cylinder I was just wondering about MPG and problems down the road if anybody has experienced any with the 6 cyclinder

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
The 4cylinder does get better fuel mileage. I've heard 24+. I've got the 6cylinder and I run pure diesel and use peak def fluid and I get 19 to 23 mpg. I've got 255k on mine and haven't had a lot of trouble with mine as others had.

I've heard some having trouble as little as 80k. You just never know. It's a crap shoot. LOL