407 / ETR in Ontario, CA

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can anyone tell me if this toll road accepts EZ Pass or does it require it's own specific transponder?

If it requires it's own transponder, does anyone have one and do you feel it is worthwhile?

Any contact info on where to get more info on this?

Thank you.

transporter

Expert Expediter
ex pass doesnt work. is it worth it? to me no but it depends how often you are in that area if it wiil work for your bottom line

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
It's the road from hell ..... my advice: stay off of it

I used it once or twice several years ago - it was very expensive for a Sprinter - even after I managed to get them to bill me correctly (which was a 6 month ordeal that involved numerous calls to Canada to straighten out)

If you don't live in the province (or Canada maybe ?), you cannot get a transponder.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I haven't been there in years, so my info may be dated. I'd say it's well worth it. Things may have changed but time is also $$$. If I could get from the east side of TO to the west side in an hour less time, I'd pay the $8CND ($5US) or whatever it was.

Yes it's expensive. I wouldn't use it if I was going thru TO at night when there's not much traffic. During the day though, the price was well worth it to me.

The transponder is free, & having one saves ya $$ vs having them take a photo of your license plate & sending ya a bill.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I haven't been there in years, so my info may be dated. I'd say it's well worth it. Things may have changed but time is also $$$. If I could get from the east side of TO to the west side in an hour less time, I'd pay the $8CND ($5US) or whatever it was.

Yes it's expensive. I wouldn't use it if I was going thru TO at night when there's not much traffic. During the day though, the price was well worth it to me.

The transponder is free, & having one saves ya $$ vs having them take a photo of your license plate & sending ya a bill.

I have one in my van and use it often. The charge from running the 407 just from Hwy 400 to the 401 in Mississauga (just over 20 miles) is $6.41.
And although there is no charge for the transponder itself, the monthly fee to use it is now $2.50 plus 13% tax. :eek:
It's still well worth it for me to get out of that traffic nightmare.