3500 wheel wells widened to accept pallet

battchuck

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
So I have a refrigerated 3500 and could not get a standard pallet 40X48 to slide in from the rear since the opening between those fender wells are only 38"
Purchased 2" wheel spacers and then proceeded to cut out the fender wells to 44" and re-weld the cut out steel. Went according to plan, now getting diamond plate to finish up the fit and trim. This now will allow me to load 1 pallet up front, then load 2 additional pallets from the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0517.JPEG
    IMG_0517.JPEG
    350.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: Turtle

Sierra Invenio

New Recruit
Researching
The only question is do the spacers add more stress to the hubs?
Not to be pedantic but yes. The real question is how much and is it within tolerance. 2" is "relatively" insignificant in terms of total force acting on the hub. Lots of vehicles can be equipped with offset rims to accomplish a similar task. Assuming quality bearings and parts, the load threshold that this would cause a noticeable problem *should* cause other elements to fail first.

Any mechanical warranty on this vehicle is obviously gone however.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Not to be pedantic but yes. The real question is how much and is it within tolerance. 2" is "relatively" insignificant in terms of total force acting on the hub. Lots of vehicles can be equipped with offset rims to accomplish a similar task. Assuming quality bearings and parts, the load threshold that this would cause a noticeable problem *should* cause other elements to fail first.

Any mechanical warranty on this vehicle is obviously gone however.
The problem is your hauling more weight than most would be with those spacers....that 3,000 to 4,000 pounds extra weight added to the hubs is not normal for most trucks....and your talking almost every day with that much weight. Hubs are going to wear out faster than normal.
Maybe if you add zerk fittings to grease the bearings at every oil change you might get them to last over that 100,000 mile mark.

Sierra Invenio

New Recruit
Researching
I do agree with your logic about the wear and tear however I don't know where you're getting the number for the poundage can you explain that one to me? My knowledge is that would it be causing a 'moment' that is unexpected effectively increasing the non-inline force that would be acting on the bearings but depending on the position of the bearing and the rating this might not even be a problem

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do agree with your logic about the wear and tear however I don't know where you're getting the number for the poundage can you explain that one to me? My knowledge is that would it be causing a 'moment' that is unexpected effectively increasing the non-inline force that would be acting on the bearings but depending on the position of the bearing and the rating this might not even be a problem
He's talking about if you get a load that is 3 to 4,000 lbs. That's what he means by if they can handle the extra weight added on it. Those axles are designed specifically for a second tire to be on each side of the axle. Not sure what you're hauling but I wouldn't haul very many heavy things very long distances.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He's talking about if you get a load that is 3 to 4,000 lbs. That's what he means by if they can handle the extra weight added on it. Those axles are designed specifically for a second tire to be on each side of the axle. Not sure what you're hauling but I wouldn't haul very many heavy things very long distances.

Sent from lost in space.

Sierra Invenio

New Recruit
Researching
I would be willing to bet it still has dual wheels which now have "stance" essentially.

I can show you the math for how this would work but basically the 2" increase matters only in comparison to the distance that the center line of the tire-assembly to the hub bearing with no offset. The force acting on this bearing increases in scale with that distance ratio.

Most bearings are also rated for far higher than other components in that system, so while they will wear faster, they will not fail before other elements in the system.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey man, it's your van. If it works, then great!(which I hope it does) if not, ride the rapids!

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Your adding more stress to a system that's is designed with a safety margin when the system is run under normal circumstances....now you add in the kinds of weights our loads reach and your asking for a fail.....is the tire rated for the loads? What about the wheels are they steel or aluminum?.....I have seen what happens to passengers tires put on a sprinter with a heavy load.....it almost didn't end well for the driver.
When you modify a drive system on a sprinter your messing with the safety equipment built into the van.....

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
As long as the welds are water tight it should be just fine...hopefully its sprayed with a rust preventer and then painted both inside and outside.
I am assuming the floor will also be fixed to with good welds do to the weight of some loads.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only question is do the spacers add more stress to the hubs?
And the wheel bearings. I ran spacers on my 64 Ford pickup and they would always work their way loose. Maybe they have improved since than? But besides the spacers, you are doing it right. Maybe run those super singles on the rear instead that I see some sprinters with on the rear? That's what I would do. Trying to see if those wider rims are made fir a Ford srw as I type..

Reactions: Sierra Invenio