3500 Sprinter without wheel wells in cargo area?

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Anyone ever taken a 3500 and added axle extenders and fender flairs similar to a dually truck and cutting out the interior wheel wells flush like a 2500 interior? Have the wheels outside the truck instead of in your cargo space like a dually pickup.

Not sure the cost or parts availability for this model but it sure seems like it might be worth to to haul more than the 2500 even just for personal comfort. Looks like about a 900 lb difference with the 9990 gvwr 3500 over the 8550 gvwr 2500 with the 170 wheel base high roof.

I think you could easily use that extra weight for sleeper, generator, ac/heat and other goodies plus maybe even higher weight loads.

Just thinking.

Robert

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Why not just frame a platform to the height of the wells?. You would have storage underneath, bulkhead at the end for bunk on drivers side. A series of properly placed joist hangers on both sides could take the place of E track..

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
whats the spacing between the wheel wells ? i didnt measure but at my old job we had a 07 i think 3500 and it looked like it would fit a pallet between ? Although we never loaded it up with pallets just boxes it always seemed a standard 48 " pallet would fit ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It's less than 48 inches but it can be done.

A platform takes about 6 inches of height off the top. it is easier to get the wheelwells cut and modify the suspension than it is to use a platform.

By the way I have only seen this done once but using a different wheel with a different offset and a wider width so a single tire can be use may be a possibility.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
So is that like a super single wheel, for the sprinter van? And where can one find them?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Tractorman,
Is there a way to turn off that thing "Posted with my Droid EO Forum App"?

To answer your question - nope.

The dual wheels are used because of the tire rating for that size. A normal junky american slop bucket van, like my '73 dodge has a single tire rated at the rating you will replaced those two tires with - hence the need for a new rim.

robh2

Veteran Expediter
Thanks guys. I just think there has to be a way, I just dont know if it would be worth it for the extra 900 lbs.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
had this discussion before......http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/31543-sprinter-3500-a.html

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Is there a way to turn off that thing "Posted with my Droid EO Forum App"?

Sure, just delete it as they post... but then we wouldn't be spreading the word about a free product that EO spent a lot of money on, that works great, and makes it easier to post from your Android device!

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
they didnt modify the fender wells. if you look at the picture you can see the tops of the fenders showing through the plywood. you can also see from the picture looking into the cargo area that there is a platform built to raise it level w/the fender wells.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The "Posted with my Droid EO Forum App" is a signature that can be changed in the app's settings.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
they didnt modify the fender wells. if you look at the picture you can see the tops of the fenders showing through the plywood. you can also see from the picture looking into the cargo area that there is a platform built to raise it level w/the fender wells.

haha you know what you are right. I looked at that picture for 5 minutes and did not see the bottom of the 4th photo and see that it is raised. Doh ! :D good eye

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
talked to an owner of a gen 1 3500 the other day. he did not chop the wheel wells. he felt it was not a smart structural move.

he added a raised floor. he loses 12" of frt but can now get all the wide loads no one else can carry.

no pix. sorry.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The wheel wells are not part of a structural support for the vehicle shell and there are upfitters who remove the wells to for different reasons without worry.

The biggest issue for D-C now Daimler is the corrosion resistance and the use pf the proper sealers, primer and paints to prevent the area from rusting out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
the raised floor would be great if built right...a little insulation under there...would really heat the thing up....lots of storage room out of sight...no need for above bins and tool boxes..

the height would still be about 57"...I think the lose of freight taller then that might be offset the wider & heavier load ops...

the kicker is really fuel mileage or lack of it..any gain seen in load ops would be offset in the lower MPG

battchuck

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have successfully widened the interior fender wells on my Sprinter to 44” to directly load pallets straight in. I purchased a 2” spacer and the cut the fender wells and re welded metal back in.

Attachments

• 464A2436-60DD-4246-AE2F-65E30F47269F.jpeg
    464A2436-60DD-4246-AE2F-65E30F47269F.jpeg
    821.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 4F963F7D-2879-420E-8A73-BCCF74BEF3FD.jpeg
    4F963F7D-2879-420E-8A73-BCCF74BEF3FD.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 18

battchuck

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
This is a refrigerated sprinter so I wanted to make these changes since the cargo area is already customized with the refrigeration I now have 44” between the inside fender wells

Reactions: Turtle