2nd Career

Jameson

New Recruit
Researching
I’ve been behind a desk for 20 years and it’s getting old. In my youth I dabbled in truck driving. Got my CDL hooked on with a mega carrier but I was too immature to handle it. I was looking into getting back into it because I love to travel when I found some videos on expediting and it intrigued me. I’ve been researching for a few months now. What type of Sprintet to get, companies, etc but one thing I noticed with CDL O/O there area ton of load boards to pick from. DAT, Comfrieght, JBL 360 and on and on. You’ll never not be able to find a load. I don’t see that with >5,000lbs freight. Are they out here? Do you just hook on with a company? Out of my home area of Phoenix SquareOne (I don’t like percentage pay) and RJR Transportion are the main ones when I search here. I don’t see any recent articles on them either. Still researching. Not taking the plunge either way for probably about a year. I want to get around $10k saved for a down payment/working capital. Just wanted to say hi too lol

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
You better triple that saved money with a sprinter. I drive a Str8 but the guys say that the industry is over saturated with sprinters. I’m sure someone will chime in about sprinters.

Jameson

New Recruit
Researching
Thanks for the info. I've been going back and forth between getting my CDL A again, lease/purchase/own authority, etc or sprinter route. The Sprinter is appealing though as going through the CDL process can be arduous but in the long run will probably be better. I have several friends driving for shale oil companies making really good money with only 3 months exp under their belts. Thanks again...I'll continue to lurk and research. Not making any decision until early next year.

Reactions: RoadTime

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is why the Sprinter market it saturated and the others are not. Everybody thinks exactly like you. If I were you I would definitely get the CDL and go from there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Jameson

New Recruit
Researching
You are correct..lol I've reached out to a few of the big carries that use sprinters and they say they're only taking on straight trucks or tractors. Told me to check back in a few months.

In '16 the trucking industry was short 36k drivers.. today it's 63k by 2026 170k+... friend is able to negotiate $3.50-$4.00/mile on some loads being an O/O. Thanks for all the info.