2500 miles in a Ford Transit, a sprinter fans take.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When "the beast" hit the dirt road I call home tonight it was just over 2500 miles, I purchased it with 2 miles 13 days ago.
Let's start this buy saying I LOVED my sprinter it never left me stranded and chugged along when money was tight and we where living on a prayer . 2008 purchased new and retired at 840k the investment was a no brainer today now to see if the Ford can fill its shoes !

2017 Transit 350 Long and tall with an ecoblaster (again thanks moot!)3.31 running gear

Transit wins:
EFFORTLESS POWER! seriously though it's amazing
Decked out best it gets minus Diesel engine less then 50k price tag.
Radio with Nav that jams and can get me places to boot!
Cheap oil changes and parts.
Payload starts at 3600lbs before amenities and driver .
Did I mention MORE POWAhhh!

Cons:
It rides like a tank ... 148" wheelbase does not help it.
When it isn't riding like a tank and it's loaded the 5ft of overhang on the rear then bounces like a pogo stick.
Even the loaded version seems to be missing some premium items (GOOD headlights and driving lights).
No insulation options from factory.
Wipers freeze up while in use(with ice and start streaking ).
The Horror of a front windscreen I can't fathom cost when replacement is needed.
Climate control has no "sweet spot" and blower is either leaf blower loud or off.
3 skids leaves ZERO room for personal effects.
16.37 mpg

This is just a start I really like the Transit but it's already a truck in my mind and not a van. It does make you grin when you merge into traffic with 2000lbs onboard!Here's to many miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
When "the beast" hit the dirt road I call home tonight it was just over 2500 miles, I purchased it with 2 miles 13 days ago.
Let's start this buy saying I LOVED my sprinter it never left me stranded and chugged along when money was tight and we where living on a prayer . 2008 purchased new and retired at 840k the investment was a no brainer today now to see if the Ford can fill its shoes !

2017 Transit 350 Long and tall with an ecoblaster (again thanks moot!)3.31 running gear

Transit wins:
EFFORTLESS POWER! seriously though it's amazing
Decked out best it gets minus Diesel engine less then 50k price tag.
Radio with Nav that jams and can get me places to boot!
Cheap oil changes and parts.
Payload starts at 3600lbs before amenities and driver .
Did I mention MORE POWAhhh!

Cons:
When it isn't riding like a tank and it's loaded the 5ft of overhang on the rear then bounces like a pogo stick.
Even the loaded version seems to be missing some premium items (GOOD headlights and driving lights).
The Horror of a front windscreen I can't fathom cost when replacement is needed.
Climate control has no "sweet spot" and blower is either leaf blower loud or off.
16.37 mpg

This is just a start I really like the Transit but it's already a truck in my mind and not a van. It does make you grin when you merge into traffic with 2000lbs onboard!Here's to many miles!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As OVM will tell you I am an expert at glass replacement. Windshield = $350, rear door window, (if you have), = $475. I never had a Sprinter so can't compare but, other than wind, mine handles well. If we are close to you I'll show you mine, (Down Rags), we have plenty of storage and room even with 3 skids.

Oh, I have 220,000 miles in 23 months. Worst so far is $1,000 for computer board an $2,000 to replace Torque Converter.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
Op

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just watch out for this:
673e0f4b39d0ae61e0b2050fe4034f4d.jpg

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cons:
I've never driven a tank or a Sprinter but the Transit would certainly benefit from an extra 10" in wheelbase length.

Anything over a few hundred pounds I have pushed up to or straddling the axle. Load placement is critical to ride and handling.

One of the first things I did was replace the OEM headlight bulbs with Silver Star Ultras. 1½ years ago I replaced the the Silver Stars with OPT 7 LED lights. I insulated the cargo area and between the headliner and roof.

Unless you are running in heavy wet snow or freezing rain, keep the defroster off and the cab cool with the heat coming out the floor level vents. Snow won't melt on cool glass and then freeze on the wipers. When you do need the defroster to melt heavy wet snow, drop the sun visors to help keep the warm air near the glass.

I was amazed that Ford didn't use POS wipers. I replaced the original wipers at 95,000 miles and I could have gone a bit more.

Yeah, the Transit windshield is ridiculously oversized, a huge waste of good silica. I have to run the AC even when the temperature is in the mid 60s, if the sun is out. I ran a strip of silver (mirror) tint down to the A Line which helps. I have four stone chips in my original windshield but so far none have cracked.

You should compare your noise level to other 2017s on a dealer lot. You may have a bad blower. I have four fan speeds. Not much difference in noise or air volume between 1 and 2. Position 3 is somewhat louder with a noticeable increase in airflow. Position 4 is definitely louder.

If you are giving your carrier the full length then you will need to run some shelving along the side walls for storing personal gear.

16.37 mpg
That should improve some with warmer weather and your increased familiarity with the van. There are several members on the Transit Forum that are lucky to get 15 mpg. They do mostly city driving though. One guy gets about 13 but doesn't mind. He likes using the EcoBlaster® technology all of the time.

This is just a start I really like the Transit but it's already a truck in my mind and not a van.
I guess its all relative. In my mind its a van not a truck. Also, its a van not a car.

It does make you grin when you merge into traffic with 2000lbs onboard!
imogi grin.jpg

Here's to many miles!
I hope it comes close to your Sprinter miles with less maintenance cost.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nice to see comparison between the two, especially ride comfort. I miss the 170" wheelbase on a sprinter, they go down the road so smooth.
You can Wire me the Cash and i will pick you up a Brand New sprinter ... since i am sitting in Ladson .......

hauling freight from a Pond near you

Reactions: in-Transit

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a diesel promaster that was in the shop for months. During that time I rented Ford transits and gas promasters. I never liked the low seat or small foot area of the ford. I found the radio and other dash controls awkward. I like to tie off my loads on the wall and found the ford lacking at places that seem strong enough. After owning diesels for years the gas mileage of the ford (16) hurt my bottom line. The gas promaster that i rented was a low roof but at 58" door opening it accomodated my lift/pallet jack. The fuel mileage was a little better at about 18 to 19 mpg. I also used a 07 sprinter 170", i liked all the extra room. It has the largest area for driver and passenger even though its seats sits a little lower than the promaster. The fuel mileage was 20-21 mpg; not terrible but sill not the 24-26 I get from the promaster.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a diesel promaster that was in the shop for months.
I still want a diesel 3500 Promaster but paid careful attention to your experience. I've got the manuals for your transmission...and the engine...both are proven in Europe but since we can't rely on their service network I'm holding off until I understand them, mechanically

The Fords are good. Keeping an eye on the developing EGR cooler thing (they can leak at low mileages, watch your coolant)

(Diesel 3.2 that is)