22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From One Another

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Re: 22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From One Anothe

Why is there no map showing who says "y-all"?

They did. Check out the one with-Florida pronounces things in the northern U.S. style.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: 22 Maps That Show How Americans Speak English Totally Differently From One Anothe

They did. Check out the one with-Florida pronounces things in the northern U.S. style.
Why is there no map showing who says "Duh"? :rolleyes:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

A drive-thru liquor store. I thought those were called a pony keg. :D

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Why is there no map showing who says "y-all"?

Attachments

• 1426543460923.jpg
    1426543460923.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 19

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

As several people noted in the comments, the plural for 'you' in Western Pa is 'yinz' [sometimes pronounced 'yunz']. Pittsburghers also have a neat way of adding a 'w' to words like Mom, so it sounds like 'Mowm'.
When I was 5 or 6, I spent a summer in Pittsburgh with an aunt, and got teased without mercy for the 'accent' when I returned to Ohio. I couldn't hear it then, but since my daughter married a West Pa native, it's really obvious, lol.
The different accents are one of the best things about going all over the US, IMO.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter

Appalachian English can be, to the uninitiated, just as confounding as Cajun. Distinct dialects evolve often wherever isolated subcultures are found.

South Carolinians can be hard to follow. I can spot a native of Central Virginia when they pronounce the word "about" as "a-boot." Pat Robertson does this.

North and South Dakotans sound like Canadians. East Texans sound a lot like folks in Tennessee and Kentucky. Somewhere in Ross Perot's lineage lies a rural twang familiar to Appalachian ears.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter

In Northeast Ohio one is likely to "wash" pronounced "war...ssh" ...

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

In my wife's family: my wife does wash in a washer, my one sister in law does warsh in a warsher, and my other sis in law does warsh in a washer :eek:
All three ladies are from Pennsylvania; the last one is my wife's sister. They are from the Erie area, while the middle one is from Chambersburg.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I was gobsmacked the first time I heard a native of New Orleans [grandpa age] speak - he sounded straight off the Brooklyn boat, lol. I swear he said "They oughter berl em all in erl!" [La politicians, I think he meant.]
But I've never heard an accent quite so unique as my Aunt Ingfrid's: born & raised in Norway, transplanted to WV. I adored her, even though I rarely understood a word she said. ;)

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Is all this what some call speaking 'merican?
:rolleyes: