21 Years and you're out of here!!!

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Hello All,

I will attempt to keep this short; I don't mean to write a long post.

My first time starting a thread; however I have been visiting EO for the past 2 years or so, attended a workshop near Detroit and the Expedite Expo 2007. I appreciate very much all the information that is available on this site along with what I have been able to obtain at both the workshop and Expo.

Last week I, along with 100 or so associates, received notice that our jobs will be eliminated. Approximately a year ago the company I work for was bought by another company and these job losses are a result of the consolidation of same type positions, unfortunately, these positions are not staying at my location. Fortunately, most of us have 6 months to a year before our job ending dates, that at least buys us a little time. I live in Michigan so the job market is not good, to say the least.

The elimination of my job is not a shock, a surprise yes, but not a shock. My job has been in question for a few years now so that is why I have been investigating the expedited business. One does not need to spend much time investigating the expedited industry to know that it is more than a bit challenging to be successful. If I were to follow my heart, my desire, I would take this opportunity and jump into the expedited business, however, knowing what I know, having spent a tremendous amount of time investigating the industry, and knowing what is best for my family, the expedited business does not appear to meet these needs, at least not right now.

Years ago I spent a brief time driving tractor trailer; this appears to be the direction I am headed in once again. I will be attending the Mid American Truck Show next month. I have been planning on attending for quite some time but I am now looking at this show in a whole different light and will be gathering as much information as I can.

Why am I writing this? At least in part to thank all who post here and have provided me with a valuable tool to use in my decision making process. The workshops and the Expo also provided me with additional tools and resources to use. Of course, each person’s individual circumstances are unique to them and it is only the individual who can decide whether this business meets their individual needs. I would encourage anyone considering a career in the expedite business to do their homework, read EO, talk to drivers/owner operators, attend workshops and the Expo. Gather as much information as possible and weigh this against what you require to take care of yourself and/or your family.

Could I be successful in this business? It’s possible but right now I cannot take that risk, I need to do what I believe is best to take care of my family. Shortly I will be loosing my benefits to include health, dental and life insurance, 5 weeks paid vacation, matched 401k contributions and so on not to mention the loss of income and I need to try and replace as much of that as I can. Expedite may have a place in my future but it does not appear to be in the short term plan.

I wish everyone the best of luck. Be safe!! I hope to call myself an Expeditor someday. I will continue to stay up on the industry and visit EO often. I have only made a few comments on EO since I was fortunate enough to discover this site and would hope that a few comments in the future would be welcomed.

Best regards,

Mike

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Thanks, Mike, for sharing. You have shown many of the lurkers here that the EO family of informational resources is not only a valuable tool for learning how to enter this business, it's also a great way to learn when to fold the tent and seek an alternate source of support for you and your family. There's a future for you in transportation, we wish you luck in finding the right fit.

GoGrammaGo

Seasoned Expediter
I too found myself being 'pushed' out of the career that got me through the tough years of being a single mom. It served its purpose. But I'm happy to be doing this. Fortunately for me, my kids are all grown and I don't have the same responsibility on my plate that you do. But still kind of tough changing careers and really my entire lifestyle at 42!! But now I don't have to wait for my boyfriend to come home every 3-4 weeks....I can bug him EVERYDAY!!! (we drive as a team). Good Luck to you, Mike!!

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
GoGrammaGo,

Thanks for the encouragement.

My wife and I have discussed running as a team but that would be several years down the road. A lot can happen between now and then. Who knows, maybe Expedite!!

Best regards,

Mike

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Good luck! And glad to see you've made a wise move in weighing out the reality of this biz. If you do the same with big rig companies, I don't see you having a problem. If you need help find a home in the big rig, I suggest you check out the forums at this place. Everything - the good, bad, and JBHunt are in there written by drivers, NOT the companies.

The Truckers' Report - Making Sense Of The Trucking Industry

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Tennesseahawk,

Thanks for the link. Look forward to doing more research. At least I have some time before I need to make a decision.

Best regards,

Mike

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
It looks as though you have good plan in the making.

Thanks for your positive comments.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
While I usually wouldn't recommend a large carrier , Schneider will hire inexperienced drivers in their tanker division . Put up with them a year or 2 and you can get a very good paying job with one of the major tank haulers . There are good benefits with the right company . Plenty of dedicated runs with no deadhead and detention time for delays .

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Crazynuff,

Thanks for the information.

I have been doing some research on Schneider, in particular, their bulk division as this area has captured my attention. I understand the dues I must pay for the first year or two but also believe that the opportunities will be there once I have some experience.

Best regards,

Mike

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As you clearly have your head on straight & priorities in order, I'm thinking you'll land on your feet, wherever you go. But, best wishes, and thanks for sharing - and maybe we'll see you at the Mid America Truck Show.:)

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Maverick is another good one. They will get you home most weekends where the Schinders and JB Hunts will get you by the house once a month. The only thing is pulling a flatbed is a little more work than pulling a dry van, but Maverick pays a rookie better than most other companies.

sanbomi1

Expert Expediter
Researching
US Army
Thanks Arkjarhead,

Both tanker and flatbed are areas that interest me more than dry van. Have some low boy experience while in the National Guard and Reserves hauling heavy equipment (engineer units). Also have limited experience pulling a reefer hauling mostly produce but didn't particularly care for the produce markets or the grocery warehouses. Although these experiences were many years ago it does give me some idea of the direction I would like to go in.

Thanks to all for their encouragement and advice, it is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mike