2018 Hino Tranny issue

Tomasz Maciorowski

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I purchased a 2018 Hino 268 from a salvage auction. The truck had the cab taken off as it was damaged. Fortunately the damaged cab was in the box of the truck so all original wiring harness and interior was intact. I purchased a new cab and swapped it all over. Looked like the dealer started to take the truck apart for insurance repairs prior to it being claimed totaled. Both trans and engine oil were drained at the dealer for unknown reason. Dealer sent me 3 gallons of fluid stating they were compatible with the allison trans. One was a Mack M- Drive and other two were Mack synthetic ATF fluid.

Truck started and all lights were off. As the truck was idling one day a “check trans” light came on. I thought it might be low on fluid and added some more. The light did not go away. I do not have the proper diagnostic tools so I took it to a shop that could run some codes. I’ll send over the sheet. I was told to replace the speed sensors which I have a spare parts truck and did just that. Problem persists. One issue I’m seeing is upon the truck being in park or neutral as I rev it the speedometer moves even though truck is at standstill. When driving it feels not to have much power even though it revs high.

Started the truck this morning and Check trans light is off but a CEL p073D was on. I cleared the code and took it for a test ride. Everything was working excellent. Truck had great power and was shifting smooth. After driving for about 25 minutes the dreaded check trans light came on. I pulled over and shut the truck off. Started it and put it in gear. Now it was not showing any position of the gears and had a rough shift from park into any other position. I turned truck off and waited for about 30 minutes. Turned truck on and truck reset itself I drove back to my shop.

At this point I'm just gonna go get the red allision fluid and do a tranny flush. I'm kinda lost at this point. Had a shop run codes yesterday ill post them.

Please let me know if you can help!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_5757 (3).JPG
    IMG_5757 (3).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 14

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sometimes the wiring harness plays games. Was it wet outside? Possibly something is rubbing on a wire /harness. Change the filters too with the tranny fuild.

Hino268

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I had exactly this same issue. Speedometer going crazy even tho the truck was not even running and engine was completely off. Once started I could rev it up high but truck won’t go forward. Hino dealer asked me to turn the truck off and on 7 times and that reset the issue. But I had other things like the turn signals going crazy and headlights auto switching to high beams and stuff. I thought it was a grounding issue at first but these things are resetting themselves so far.

The thing to note is: All these problems started after the truck went in for a regular maintenance at the dealership and the dealer updated the software and reflashed the computer or whatever it is called.

I don’t know what to expect next