2018 Hino 155 Heater Core

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
Well it has not been a good month for my Hino trucks. It must be ":censoredsign: happens" month here.. My 155 truck got a nice whack on the nose yesterday, coolant pouring out all over the place. I bypassed the heater core & topped off the coolant, no more leaking. So I need to replace the core. I am assuming that it's beyond repair, so a replacement core will be needed. I have 4 questions for those who know these animals: 1) Part Number for the core? 2) Are aftermarket cores available? 3) Does it come out from the front exterior panel or removing the interior dash components? and finally 4) Whichever R&R procedure is necessary, how nasty is the job?

Thank you

jeff

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It comes out from the inside. When I'm on a roll it takes me about 5 hours. Also, there's no published procedure. I doubt there is an aftermarket alternative. I don't know the price.

There's a long metal bar that runs the width of the dash. That has to come out. Remove steering column (surprisingly easy), all the plastic panels to expose the bar. Then from the outside remove the lights, grille, wiper arms, and the panel. There are bolts for the bar inside that come out from the outside.

Keep track of where every wire and connector go, because you don't want to put it all together to find connectors MIA than you have to take it apart again.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Inspect that big wire harness that comes out of the junction box up front. If that gets whacked it can cause myriad weird electrical problems.

jeffcarl

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you again GT. I found a good used one for $200, I'll get that coming. When I take something like this on I take lots of photos. Really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. Much obliged. Best Regards!