2016 258 ALP Rollback Overheating

Marvin

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
This thing has been acting this way for the last week. If you switch on the PTO, switch off the Exhaust Brake, hit the switch to idle it up, and let it sit there running 30-45 minutes, with no change in temperature, but the minute you hook onto something and start winching, the temp gauge immediately begins to rise, right up to just before the red line, and the truck will idle down, and you’ll know its overheated again.
We started making sure the Exhaust Brake was turned off while running the PTO, because we were told that can cause a overheating issue. But it seams we still have an issue, the truck has 139,000 miles on it now, but is still under warranty. I just like to fix things myself if it’s not too costly.
Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Marvin Hutchison
Hutch Wrecker Service
Hamlet NC

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Inspect BETWEEN the CAC and the radiator for debris. It can be tricky to see, and is best viewed from the bottom looking up. If it looks full of jit, remove the cac and blow out the radiator. In my experience its the fan clutch most of the time. I have installed 4 on one unit before. Look and feel for slimy fluid on the fan blades and at the front of the engine. If there is fluid, then most likely the viscous fluid from the fan hub has leaked out. If you can spin the fan and there is no resistance it is toast. There should be resistance on the fan when cold. Report back if you find the issue and let us know what year and model the truck is.

Marvin

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks for you reply, I will check these things tomorrow hopefully and let you know.
As I stated in my original post: The Truck is a 2016 Hino 258ALP with a 22’ Steel Rollback Body it has around 139,000 miles on it, and everything is in stock condition, no mods.

Hino123

Expert Expediter
Researching
Ok I see that info now, I was looking in the body of the post not the tile o_O. To be honest, I cant recall any overheating issues on a 2014-2019 Conventional that was not a fan clutch issue. It will also sometimes set a P0217 fault in the engine for an overheat condition. You can pull active and inactive codes in the meter/cluster, I would check there. Consult the owners manual if you don't know how to pull the codes. Also check for holes or leaks in the CAC. Good luck and report back.